SCALP CARE 101-chip in please

Mandy4610

Hey ladies, I need your help please.
My scalp seems to not be happy lately.
It seems to be very dry and flaky.
I am faithful to moisturizing my hair, but my scalp seems to be missing something.
I don't put anything on my scalp because I don't know what to put on it.

I am thinking of trying:
1. Coconut oil
2. Oyin burnt sugar pomede
3. Hairveda almond glaze (which I just ordered)
4. Sulfur 8 (not sure about this one, I used it when I was younger to help with dandruff but I am not sure if it would be a good thing now)

I use mostly natural products (95%)

What do you think? I really don't have a clue about proper scalp care, so I am open to learning all there is to learn. I think this is the only part of proper hair care that I am really lacking.

Mrs. Verde

Agree the coconut oil (and probably other oils) would be great. How long has this been going on? Have you had this issue before?

Mandy4610

Agree the coconut oil (and probably other oils) would be great. How long has this been going on? Have you had this issue before?
I have had this problem before, especially after taking braids out. I have noticed it more since my last cornrows in July.

destine2grow

I am happy you started this thread. My scalp has been itching since I took braids out about 2 wks ago. I now have a sew in and it is itching a little bit. I am going to try hairveda almond glaze. I plan on orderin on Mon. I also would like to know about scalp care.

Solitude

You could go with the coconut oil and add a few drops of either peppermint/eucalyptus/or rosemary oil (or all three) to the coconut oil. I mixed these oils in a pre-poo with conditioner and applied to my scalp for a few months and my dandruff pretty much disappeared. It also had a nice tingle.

I got this idea from Traycee: http://keepitsimplesista.blogspot.com/search/label/Eucalyptus Oil

I have no idea if she still does it; I suggest checking out the full blog post via the link, but here is an excerpt. I hope she doesn't mind me posting it, but it really helped me. I had tried sulphur 8 and all types of products over the years, but none of it worked...

If you want growth ...Start by keeping your scalp clean so that your pores can breathe ...( Same for itchy scalp and dandruff)
KEEP YOUR SCALP CLEAN

This treatment I am about to show you is used to stimulate growth, treat itchy scalp, and rid dandruff and lice

Here is what I have done for months and I'm adding back to my regimen for growth ....

Ingredients:

Mix

Moisturizing Conditioner
Coconut Oil (optional)
Peppermint Oil
Rosemary Oil( Do not use Rosemary Oil if pregnant)
Eucalyptus Oil

Treatment:

Treatment is used as a prepoo overnight..Can be done before a Co-Wash or Shampoo...
There are no measurements because it has to do with tolerance...Peppermint , Rosemary and Eucalyptus Oils all give a cooling and menthol feeling...Start of with maybe 5 to 10 drops of each to test tolerance in your conditioner

Part hair in small sections...Cover scalp and apply to hair down to the tips...Cover with plastic cap and cover that with a scarf...Use a old pillow case..In the morning rinse and shampoo or co-wash hair..

I recommend doing this at least 2x a week ...( I will be doing this 3x a week)

My fav dandruff shampoos are KeraCare dry and itchy scalp for when you need relief from the itching. You may not like the ingredients in it though....I also like Aveda Scalp benefits shampoo. The conditioner is not moisturizing at all.

I have a naturally oily scalp (a lot of sebum production, I guess), so I try not to put too many products on it during the week, but I'm going to try JBCO and scalp massages to reduce the bit of flaking that I still get.

Last edited:

gymfreak336

The best scalp advice I ever received came from Lisa Akbari's book. In her section about the scalp, she gives some of the things she has seen during her time as a stylist and as a trichologist and how you can make small changes to improve the health fof your scalp. She also saids that most of the itchy scalp conditions are from negative buildup and left untreated, will develop into more serious conditions. Basically, when you are washing your hair, try to concentrate the water pressure directly on the scalp for a full 5-7 minutes before shampooing. Use your hands to separate the hair into sections so that you can feel it directly on your scalp. It should feel very intense and invigorating if you are doing it correctly. You also should use warm to hot water as you do this and go back over sections that frequently itch one more time.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
I use brahmi, shaikaki, & amla powders in all my cowashes. I also use a coconut oil, garlic, amla oil, fenugreek powder, bhringraj oil mixture as a prepoo at least once a week. As a result, I don't have any scalp issues.

SistaSista

My most fav shampoo for dandruff is Nizoral. This is my "crack" and I can't live without it. After I used this two times my dandruff went away with out one flake in sight. I use this with every wash. Nizoral is my first lather and then I will use my normal shampoo after. I've tried all the other dandruff shampoos out there and none of them worked. Selsum blue wouldonly last for two days. I can go two weeks without seeing a flake or itching with Nizoral. HTH

TheCoilWhisperer

The best scalp advice I ever received came from Lisa Akbari's book. In her section about the scalp, she gives some of the things she has seen during her time as a stylist and as a trichologist and how you can make small changes to improve the health fof your scalp. She also saids that most of the itchy scalp conditions are from negative buildup and left untreated, will develop into more serious conditions. Basically, when you are washing your hair, try to concentrate the water pressure directly on the scalp for a full 5-7 minutes before shampooing. Use your hands to separate the hair into sections so that you can feel it directly on your scalp. It should feel very intense and invigorating if you are doing it correctly. You also should use warm to hot water as you do this and go back over sections that frequently itch one more time.

That sounds delicious!

Buttercreme

My most fav shampoo for dandruff is Nizoral. This is my "crack" and I can't live without it. After I used this two times my dandruff went away with out one flake in sight. I use this with every wash. Nizoral is my first lather and then I will use my normal shampoo after. I've tried all the other dandruff shampoos out there and none of them worked. Selsum blue wouldonly last for two days. I can go two weeks without seeing a flake or itching with Nizoral. HTH

Nizoral is also my go to, every wash. I "base" my scalp w/it and let it sit for about 15 mins. Then follow w/moisurize poo. I no longer have that intense itch. In the intense itch sections of hair, I would have excessive hair loss. Those sections are now thickening up.

Skiggle

I like coconut oil and rosemary oil. I heat mine up slightly
and just rub on a clean scalp. My grandmother told me
it penetrates better that way.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I stopped seeing flakes when I started to clarify once a week (diluted shampoo poured over dry hair). Just an idea...I had scalp burns from my last relaxer so I made a shea/jojoba hot oil treatment and put it on my scalp. It helped plenty.

Barbie83

You could go with the coconut oil and add a few drops of either peppermint/eucalyptus/or rosemary oil (or all three) to the coconut oil. I mixed these oils in a pre-poo with conditioner and applied to my scalp for a few months and my dandruff pretty much disappeared. It also had a nice tingle.

Sulfates make my hair flaky. My hair is flake free after getting rid of them.

:yep::yep::yep::yep:Co-signing a THOUSAND times with these two. I use coconut oil with peppermint/rosemary oil added and I LOVE it. My scalp usually can't take being "oiled" (I usually end up with big patches of greasy scales) but with this mixture, it just soaks it up.)

Also, since switching to sulfate-free shampoos ( I use Organix Coconut Milk or Trader Joe's NourishSpa) my scalp stays MUCH clearer.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I know this is gonna sound nutty, but MN helps my dry, itchy scalp. I get no flakes what-so-ever when I use it. I mixed MN with jojoba oil.