Scalp Eczema

mamarama

Hey, I went to the doctor and found out I have eczema. She prescribed me some betamethasone valerate foam which I have not used yet. I also have been using lavender oil mixed with castor oil on that area of my scalp. The hair in that area grows in hard, dry, and brittle and it looks weak and thin.

Does anyone else have this condition? What are you guys using to combat it? Also, I've never had this before until recently. Does it go away or is it something I'll just have to keep treating?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Blessed&higlyflavoured

Yup! I had it eczema pretty bad on my scalp but I've managed to clear it up.
I have it all over my body. I was prescribed the betnovante foam and a salicylic acid coal tar shampoo. And was instructed to use them daily:look:

I pretty much used the shampoo to clean the toilet. It smelt like road works and was so stripping.
but the foam:heart:. That stuff burnt and tingled but it worked for sure. I also oiled/greased my scalp while it was wet either with olive butter or an ayuvedic hair oil like curleyproverbz to moisturise my scalp. I was also meticulous about keeping ny scalp clean using a super gentle shampoo using tepid water so as to not irritate the skin
(palmers coconut oil I think but it doesn't matter as long as it's gentle)
I'd rinse every single trace of wash out products out of my hair.
Like I'd rinse it out and then spend an extra 10 minutes under the water.

With the foam, oil, gentle shampoo and super rinse... I had relief from the itching within the day. My skin settled within a week or so and my hair recovered within a month.

Now I only use the oil and I've made a habit of thoroughly rinsing my hair. That was about a year ago I believe and my eczema been good since.

fifi134

I have it too, seborrheic dermatitis. I have to use a medicated scalp oil (fluocinolone acetonide 0.01%) for a minimum of 4 hours prior to shampooing.

I have yet to find a permanent remedy. During the fall and winter, my eczema flares up pretty badly, so I try to stay consistent in applying it on my scalp. During the warmer months, I don't have to use it as much. Maybe once a month and I'm good.

mamarama

Yup! I had it eczema pretty bad on my scalp but I've managed to clear it up.
I have it all over my body. I was prescribed the betnovante foam and a salicylic acid coal tar shampoo. And was instructed to use them daily:look:

I pretty much used the shampoo to clean the toilet. It smelt like road works and was so stripping.
but the foam:heart:. That stuff burnt and tingled but it worked for sure. I also oiled/greased my scalp while it was wet either with olive butter or an ayuvedic hair oil like curleyproverbz to moisturise my scalp. I was also meticulous about keeping ny scalp clean using a super gentle shampoo using tepid water so as to not irritate the skin
(palmers coconut oil I think but it doesn't matter as long as it's gentle)
I'd rinse every single trace of wash out products out of my hair.
Like I'd rinse it out and then spend an extra 10 minutes under the water.

With the foam, oil, gentle shampoo and super rinse... I had relief from the itching within the day. My skin settled within a week or so and my hair recovered within a month.

Now I only use the oil and I've made a habit of thoroughly rinsing my hair. That was about a year ago I believe and my eczema been good since.

Thanks! I'm glad it worked for you. Im going to start using the foam later this week. Whole Foods carries a pine tar shampoo with tea tree oil. I'll probably try that and see if it works.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I have it too, seborrheic dermatitis. I have to use a medicated scalp oil (fluocinolone acetonide 0.01%) for a minimum of 4 hours prior to shampooing.

This worked wonders for me. My friend is a derm and wrote an rx for me when I showed her what I was dealing with.
Ever since I was introduced it, no more weird patches.

I just use it on wash day after washing -- and do not rinse it out. Only focusing on the 4 spots that used to get weird.

She also prescribed to me the SelRx Shampoo, but after smelling it and coming to the conclusion that it smelt like neutralizing shampoo ( which is really drying) I decided I would not be using it.

fifi134

This worked wonders for me. My friend is a derm and wrote an rx for me when I showed her what I was dealing with.
Ever since I was introduced it, no more weird patches.

I just use it on wash day after washing -- and do not rinse it out. Only focusing on the 4 spots that used to get weird.

She also prescribed to me the SelRx Shampoo, but after smelling it and coming to the conclusion that it smelt like neutralizing shampoo ( which is really drying) I decided I would not be using it.

Do you find that it's more effective after washing? I really like it, no weird smell or anything.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Do you find that it's more effective after washing? I really like it, no weird smell or anything.
To be fair, I never gave it a chance before washing.
It has been very effective.

Daina

I have it as well and for years struggled with it. Things that made it worse were drying shampoos. I started exclusively cowashing in 2008 and using betamethasone and was able to limit my flairs to the winter only. Now I only get a flair in the winter because of the dry winter conditions, dry heat etc...Summer and spring my scalp returns to normal. I have the liquid which I like better than the foam. I started using shampoo again in 2015 but have to be very selective on the brands. The medicated harsh brands seemed to only treat the symptoms for me and not truly change my scalp environment which was allowing the eczema to continue. I also cowash 1-2 times a month to give my hair and scalp a break from shampoo. I clarify using Redken cleansing cream once a month and for regular shampoo use Keracare, SM Manuka Honey or Aphoghee moisturizing balance shampoo. After cleansing and DC before using a leave-in I use the betamethasone on my scalp and massage it in. Let it absorb 5-10 minutes and then carry on with my regular routine. Initially I had to use it multiple times a week but now I use it only on wash day. The key to beating eczema is to change the scalp environment so that it doesn’t thrive.

mamarama

I have it as well and for years struggled with it. Things that made it worse were drying shampoos. I started exclusively cowashing in 2008 and using betamethasone and was able to limit my flairs to the winter only. Now I only get a flair in the winter because of the dry winter conditions, dry heat etc...Summer and spring my scalp returns to normal. I have the liquid which I like better than the foam. I started using shampoo again in 2015 but have to be very selective on the brands. The medicated harsh brands seemed to only treat the symptoms for me and not truly change my scalp environment which was allowing the eczema to continue. I also cowash 1-2 times a month to give my hair and scalp a break from shampoo. I clarify using Redken cleansing cream once a month and for regular shampoo use Keracare, SM Manuka Honey or Aphoghee moisturizing balance shampoo. After cleansing and DC before using a leave-in I use the betamethasone on my scalp and massage it in. Let it absorb 5-10 minutes and then carry on with my regular routine. Initially I had to use it multiple times a week but now I use it only on wash day. The key to beating eczema is to change the scalp environment so that it doesn’t thrive.

Thanks. I bought some Kenra shampoo. Do you think that's good?

BlackRinse

I never thought about neem oil. How do you incorporate it into your regimen?

I add 2 dropper fulls (roughly 1 tbsp) to my 8oz Megatek & JCBO oil mix. You can also add it to your deep conditioner as well and play around with the measurements. I mix it in almost everything I put on my scalp.

mamarama

I never thought about neem oil. How do you incorporate it into your regimen?

I went through some old threads and I read that steroid creams actually thin out the skin/hair. I only started using it last night tho.

But anyway I definitely try this.

nymane

I've had seborrheic dermatitis for years, the only thing that controlled it was prescription elocon 0.1% aka mometasone furoate (the liquid version).

Even though elocon was effective, I didn't want to be on a steriod for the rest of my life so I started using 2% ketoconazole cream, which helped, but still wasn't effective enough on it's own.

It wasn't until I started cleansing my scalp 2x a week (this plus using the 2% ketoconazole a few times a week) that my scalp started really healing and I was able to almost completely stop using the elocon.

My seborrheic dermatitis isn't gone but its under control, and my shampoo plays a big role because it contains no irritants and it's uberr moisturizing and gentle (Sojourn Shampoo Moisture). I shampoo 1x a week and co-cleanse mid-week. For my co-cleansing conditioner I'm loving Moroccanoil oil Curl Cleansing Conditioner. I used to use regular rinse out conditioners to co-wash, but found that this wasn't helpful for my scalp. There has to be an actual cleansing agent in my cleansing conditioner for it to clean and soothe my scalp.

I've also been taking high strength omega 3 supplements for a year and a half now.