Scalp Exfoliation: Before And After

Tefnut

Can you get similar or the same scalp cleansing/ exfoliation results from doing a bentonite clay with ACV hair mask?

ms.blue

I used the Philip Kingsley scalp exfoliation mask which did help relieve the gunk and itchiness of my scalp but I used more than half of the tube on my scalp...too expensive to go through so quickly. I received the psoriasis scalp and body wash by heritage store. It contains 2% salicylic acid, onion extract, citrus oils and peppermint oil...so I figure this shampoo will exfoliate my scalp.

Rastafarai

Just got done with my dermabrasion. Now ladies, I thought my scalp was clean. It looked clean and felt clean. I shampoo'd my hair with every wash, used bentonite and rhassoul clays sporadically, and ACV washes. I didn't do conditioner poos.

Lo and behold, after letting the Nioxin Dermabrasion sit on my hair for a good 30 minutes, I started to see tiny white flakes....everywhere. Just coming out of the woodworks. I also rubbed my temples, and more flakes...the back of my hair, more flakes. I was flaking everywhere. It looked like dandruff and I was completely turned off. My shirt was full of white flakes. I scratched a part of my scalp, and yup, as expected, that stuff came right up and out. I couldn't wait to wash and scrub my scalp.

I plan to finish off my bottle for my next wash in 2 weeks. I am just relieved that those flakes are down the drain and not on my scalp. This has been my first true exfoliation since I was born. My scalp waited for 32 years to breathe again. How it grew, I don't know. Maybe I'll see a growth spurt in the coming weeks?!

Forever grateful to LHCF and @g.lo for this thread!

Last edited:

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
Maybe I shouldn't ignore my next wash day scalp itchies? Been living with it since 06....
You should not. I used to itch right after I washed while my scalp was still wet. I began to notice that the areas that itched had buildup that I could find under my nails when I scratched lol. So I think there is a connection between itching and buildup deposits.
You probably need a deep exfoliation/cleansing.

Last edited:

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
Just got done with my dermabrasion. Now ladies, I thought my scalp was clean. It looked clean and felt clean. I shampoo'd my hair with every wash, used bentonite and rhassoul clays sporadically, and ACV washes. I didn't do conditioner poos.

Lo and behold, after letting the Nioxin Dermabrasion sit on my hair for a good 30 minutes, I started to see tiny white flakes....everywhere. Just coming out of the woodworks. I also rubbed my temples, and more flakes...the back of my hair, more flakes. I was flaking everywhere. It looked like dandruff and I was completely turned off. My shirt was full of white flakes. I scratched a part of my scalp, and yup, as expected, that stuff came right up and out. I couldn't wait to wash and scrub my scalp.

I plan to finish off my bottle for my next wash in 2 weeks. I am just relieved that those flakes are down the drain and not on my scalp. This has been my first true exfoliation since I was born. My scalp waited for 32 years to breathe again. How it grew, I don't know. Maybe I'll see a growth spurt in the coming weeks?!

Forever grateful to LHCF and @g.lo for this thread!

where did you get yours? I ordered some off Amazon and it was old expired product :(.

Rastafarai

where did you get yours? I ordered some off Amazon and it was old expired product :(.

I got it on Amazon. I contacted each third-party retailer to ask about expiration dates. I read about your experiences and made sure to ask before I purchased. I purchased mine from Diversity Retail, but also a company by the name of Valley Beauty claim to have fresh batches. Here were each of their responses to me:

Diversity Retail

We ordered these products from Nioxin about 2 weeks ago. We guarantee that our batch has an expiration of at least 8 months into the future.

Thank you,

Diverse Retail

Vally Beauty

Thank you for your inquiry. Our product is very fresh, we received a new Nioxin shipment last month, although there is no expiration dates on this particular treatments I can assure you that product is fresh.

https://www.valley-beauty.com/search.php?search_query=Dermabrasion+&x=0&y=0

Regards

I would avoid these two:

The SmartLook Amazon Marketplace

Hello,
I am sorry this product does not have an expiration date on it, but it may have been produced before 2016.

Thank you,
Sarah

Andromeda Beauty Supply

we got these this year and they do not have expiration dates.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I just ordered from Nioxin on Amazon. Their Shampoo 2 for thinning hair (even though mine isnt thinning but it adds density and cleans out follicles) does a good job but i want something extra. my scalp is built up and itchy lately. couldn't hurt.

HaveSomeWine

If I shampoo every four days and water wash/massage my scalp daily, is scalp exfoliating still necessary? I also never apply product to my scalp unless I'm prepping with coconut oil. I'd be afraid of scrhb particles getting stuck in my hair or roughing up the cuticles.

snoop

If I shampoo every four days and water wash/massage my scalp daily, is scalp exfoliating still necessary? I also never apply product to my scalp unless I'm prepping with coconut oil. I'd be afraid of scrhb particles getting stuck in my hair or roughing up the cuticles.

Personally, I think that you can grow healthy hair without exfoliating if you have healthy hair practices, but I think that the exfoliation gives a bit of a boost or at the very least is a nice treat.

The Komaza exfoliator has no bits in it. It's all liquid so you don't have to worry about anything getting left behind. Very gentle, with no tingling so you have to be careful that you don't forget to wash it out.

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
I got it on Amazon. I contacted each third-party retailer to ask about expiration dates. I read about your experiences and made sure to ask before I purchased. I purchased mine from Diversity Retail, but also a company by the name of Valley Beauty claim to have fresh batches. Here were each of their responses to me:

Diversity Retail

Vally Beauty

I would avoid these two:

Andromeda Beauty Supply

thanks for the info!

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I want that Nioxin, but I do not trust Amazon for hair products anymore. Ugh!
If you go to the Nioxin website and find the product, you can search for locations near you that carry it. Sport Clips seems to come up the most and I recall a member here getting it from that place.

Rae81

This past weekend I used ACV mixed with water and left it on my scalp for almost an hour and that cleared my scalp totally. My scalp always itched and flaked up especially in the front. I have not seen any flakes and my scalp has not been itching.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm concerned about grains such as sugar or salt in DIY exfoliators. What's to keep grains from getting trapped in the scalp? Do we know that these grains are too large to get trapped in the scalp? TIA.

So many products discussed in this thread! I'm not sure how to proceed!

snoop

I'm concerned about grains such as sugar or salt in DIY exfoliators. What's to keep grains from getting trapped in the scalp? Do we know that these grains are too large to get trapped in the scalp? TIA.

I've never tried salts and sugars after reading something about how it they can cause micro-abrasions on your scalp and to your hair... something to think about...

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón

Sugar and salt melt fast. They won't become lodge in your follicles. What about trying henna, shikakai, amla, reetha tea or gloss and then scritching the scalp after allowing it to set for a few hours?

Some people have scalp eczema or dandruff and shampooing doesn't get rid of that.

Last edited:

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen

My concern with physical exfoliation is the exfoliants roughing up my hair cuticles and causing microtears on my scalp as previous posters mentioned. I wreak enough havoc with my scritching/scratching.

Plus with the way my hands are set up, I'd rub my scalp tender and raw trying to scrub it with some sugar or salt :lachen:

Kookookiwi

Diversity Retail

Vally Beauty

I would avoid these two:

Andromeda Beauty Supply
Would you happen to have a link to the Diversity Retail seller's page? I've tried searching for the product, but they never show up as a seller.

Rastafarai

Just a heads up, my dear sisters: I think depending on your scalp's circumference, you can get 1.5-2 uses for each bottle of the Nioxin Dermabrasion. I got mine for $15/each. They recommend doing a dermabrasion every 30-45 days.

I only bought two, so I plan to use this for the next 4 months until I stop seeing flakes, and maybe scroll back to once every 3 months.

imaginary

Just a heads up, my dear sisters: I think depending on your scalp's circumference, you can get 1.5-2 uses for each bottle of the Nioxin Dermabrasion. I got mine for $15/each. They recommend doing a dermabrasion every 30-45 days.

I only bought two, so I plan to use this for the next 4 months until I stop seeing flakes, and maybe scroll back to once every 3 months.

I actually managed to get 3 and some change out of this. Mostly because I didn't want to be too heavy handed with the product, I just left it on for a bit longer.