Scalp massages = hair loss???

Lava27

I'm recently getting into scalp massages lately and they feel great. When I really get in the zone they are quite calming. After I'm done however, I'm always pulling out a few strands of loose hairs. Me no likey this! Is this normal? Do others loose strands when massaging their scalp?? I'd like to continue, but this is freaking me out a bit.

Nonie

On the contrary, hair massages have been known to prevent hair loss and even help stimulate follicles that were dying or "sick" to produce hair. There's a thread by Isis that gave directions on how to massage your scalp. You should be pressing firmly on your scalp and moving it, not sliding fingers against the skin but rather kneading it so that it moves and isn't rigid. I'll be back with the link if I can find it.

When I had a bald spot, the area felt a bit stiff and I made an effort to massage deeply enough to loosen the scalp there. My hair grew back. I did use the Essential Oil Hair Growth Blend too, but massage was an essential part of my regimen every time I applied the mixture. :yep:

Lava27

On the contrary, hair massages have been known to prevent hair loss and even help stimulate follicles that were dying or "sick" to produce hair. There's a thread by Isis that gave directions on how to massage your scalp. You should be pressing firmly on your scalp and moving it, not sliding fingers against the skin but rather kneading it so that it moves and isn't rigid. I'll be back with the link if I can find it.

When I had a bald spot, the area felt a bit stiff and I made an effort to massage deeply enough to loosen the scalp there. My hair grew back. I did use the Essential Oil Hair Growth Blend too, but massage was an essential part of my regimen every time I applied the mixture. :yep:

Dooh! I've been doing it all wrong I think. I've been sliding my fingers against the skin. Felt good, but I'm gonna do it the right way now. This explains things...thanx! :yep:

Are u massaging with your fingers nails or pads?

Was using finger pads...but all wrong. I'm so silly...think I got it now.

Faith

Ohh, I was sliding my fingers against my scalp. Thanks for the thread.

ETA: None of the links in that thread are active. But reading the post by Isis the quote by "Sterry" said to rub the scalp with the pads of the fingers so doesn't that mean moving the pads of the finders on the scalp?

Last edited:

lp318lp

I think that we should consider scalp massage like body massages. The scalp is a part of the head, but we tend to treat is a lot harsher.

Think of it like this: Would you use your nails to massage your neck? Or, would you rub your fingers slide your fingers - roughly - up & down your sore arm?

I think the concept should be the same...

me~:rolleyes:

Nonie

Ohh, I was sliding my fingers against my scalp. Thanks for the thread.

ETA: None of the links in that thread are active. But reading the post by Isis the quote by "Sterry" said to rub the scalp with the pads of the fingers so doesn't that mean moving the pads of the finders on the scalp?

I have always known that a proper scalp massage involved kneading not sliding so I don't know about the quote you mention.

It's a shame the links didn't work. I did try to google "Scalp Stimulation" and found this: http://www.segalshaircare.com/scalp-stimulation.php

Last edited: