Scalp Problems with Braids

KiSseS03

Hey Ladies!

Ok, I just took out my braids about a week ago, and I'm overall really happy with the results. I wore them for about 5.5 weeks and my hair has grown and is just as healthy as when I put them in.

The only thing I didn't like about the braids was that I had flakiness/buildup on my scalp that would not go away. Normally, when my hair is out I wash my hair 2-3x per week and don't have this problem, while braided I was only washing once...

Here's my regimen
-Shampoo with diluted CON (red/white bottle)
-Condition wwith Infusium 23 or Stay Sof Fro

-I rarely sprayed my hair during the week and I occasionally put a little oil on my hair

The thing is, I didn't really put anything on my scalp, once or twice I put on a bit of oil, no spray (Infusium/SSf) at all, so I don't know what is causing the buildup/flakiness...

Should I use a clarifying shampoo? Any suggestions woud be greatly appreciated since I plan to braid again today!:(

CORBINS

I think it may be the shampoo. When I used CON, I had a lot of build up as well. I switched to J/A/S/O/N Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner. I also use Glover's treatment for dandruff. It has sulfur in it. I use it before I shampoo my hair and it helps with dandruff and itching. Hope this information is helpful!

KiSseS03

Thanks Corbins! I was thinking the same thing.. that CON does give my loose hair a lot of slip, so there is probably some stuff left behind...

Any suggestions for good shampoos for braids... or any other thoughts?

KiSseS03

Jaelin said:
You could try an apple cidar vinegar wash to clarify.

Omg! I never even thought of that, thanks for the idea.

How would I do that though? Just wet my braids and pour ACV over it... no shampoo at all?

KiSseS03

Update: I tried a vinegar rinse and it solved my problems completely! A new braid staple for me :)

KiSseS03

Bumping! I'm getting braids again and would love to hear any suggestions on preventing dull hair at the roots/buildup!