SCARED TO RELAX AGAIN

InJesusName

I took my braids out, and I must admit that at 6 months post (I made it!!!), my hair looks a a CHIA PET!!!!!!!:lol:

The thing is, I am terrified to go back to relaxing. I can't do the natural thing so I know I need a relaxer. I stopped relaxing months before I joined this board because my hair stylist kept burning my scalp (I TOLD her regular strength was too strong). She said because I had been scratching which I never did prior to relaxing.

Though I have been relaxing for years, my past experiences have made me a little gun shy. All I can remember is thin/ lifeless hair from the Design Essentials and Affirm Relaxers, and underprocessed. dry hair from the no-lye relaxers (Mizani). What should I do?

I am tempted to try Phyto, but I can't find anyone to do it for me without charging me an arm and a leg, and I do not want to damage my hair any more than it already is by putting it in myself. Any suggestions?

Suri

I am just jumping in here, I haven't posted in awhile too, but why not try texturizing it.
What do mean charging you an arm and a leg? Why wouldn't you be charged the regular rate for a regular relaxer? I know the Phyto relaxer is pricey itself, but the service should be the same.

I know the feeling of being afraid to relax. I have been natural for 1 1/2 and I thing about relaxing at frustrating times. I have never experienced extreme breakage, etc. But I understand your fear. You could look into getting a consulation to test your hair, some of the Dominican hair salons offer the service, and some upscale salons offer it as well, to see if a relaxer is good for your of what strength is best for you. Good luck, hhl

WomanlyCharm

Don't be scurred...:lol: but it's great that you made it 6 months without a relaxer! Be proud of yourself! If you really feel like you need to get a relaxer, so be it, but you've definately gotten a long way on your natural journey.

First thing, I would find a stylist you can trust...if you see someone with nice, well taken care of hair, ask them who does it (who knows, it may be one of US! :grin:)

I tried Phyto, while it did get my hair swangin', after a while it seemed to leave a weird buildup on my hair...so I switched to Affirm. It does a great job on my hair. But every head is different, you say it doesn't work so well on yours...ladies?? Any other suggestions? :look:

Mystic

If you are experiencing scalp burn etc., the better option for you would be a no lye relaxer. This type of relaxer is milder on the scalp so you should not get any burn when you use a no lye relaxer. There are many different brands that people have used successfully - to name a few: phyto, profectiv, elasta, ors, optimum, etc. Hope you will find a solution soon.

neonbright

Ok I am jumping in as a person who had braids, cornrows for years while in Hawaii. When we moved there, we lived on the Windward side and yes it is windy, I just got pregnant and I decided to got braids and I kept them until we left Hawaii. But before I left I had the person who does my hair take the braids out and give me my first relaxer in years, she is the best it was perfect with no problems. I just had to learn how to maintain my hair again since I hadn't have a relaxer in years. But man I wish this I had this board then, but it is never to late..