Scared To Wash My Kinky Twists..

MizzBrown

Soooo..i love my kinky twists and after reading numerous threads, i have an idea of how i'm supposed to wash them yet i'm still scared they gonna look like ish when i do.

I plan to use a sponge and diluted shampoo..or should i co-wash? And i'll do an ACV rinse too. And i normally wash my hair in the sink. Now i have to go under the shower.:sad:

Asked my stylist how to care for my hair when its time to wash.

Her response:
"Well, i don't know, i'd assume you can wash them but none of my clients ever washed theirs. They'd either come to me and i'd disenfect their scalp or just do it themselves....I don't know if the curl will come out...":perplexed

What the hell? I'm gonna be the only client with twists that's gonna attempt to wash my scalp? That's NASTY!

It's been 3 days and i'm already getting that "gotta wash" feeling.

Neith

I used diluted shampoo in a squirt bottle on mine.

I squirted the scalp and rinsed. I didn't mess with the twists very much.

loulou82

I used diluted shampoo and a sponge. I also used the sponge method but in hindsight I didn't need to do it. I have a fotki album that lists what I did with an "after pic". I think my twists looked better after the first wash.

PuddingPop

I used diluted shampoo in a squirt bottle on mine.

I squirted the scalp and rinsed. I didn't mess with the twists very much.

This is a good method. This is how I wash my daughters hair when shes in braids. I wouldnt try washing them under the shower water. The hard flow of the water may mess the twist up. A gentle flow from a squirt bottle would get the job done and not mess up the twists. Put your twists in a couple of big braids and Concentrate on the scalp area.

mahoganee

I used diluted shampoo and a sponge. I also used the sponge method but in hindsight I didn't need to do it. I have a fotki album that lists what I did with an "after pic". I think my twists looked better after the first wash.
Same here and I concentrate mainly on my scalp.

kandegirl

I used dilutted shampoo and a hair net over my twists. They didn't come out or un-twist but the hair I had (marley) tangled. And it took forver to take those twist out of my hair. And most people don't have that problem,even w/ washing them, but I did.

SexySin985

I get twist (and braids) all the time and I wash 2 different ways:

1. I was with a stocking cap on. That way I wont mess up the braids too much which leads to frizzyness. I usually use this method for the first 4-6 weeks of a new set of braids.

2. Put my hair in a high loose ponytail and wet my scalp and not the braids. I have a shower head with a hose attachment so that way I can hold the shower head in my hand and just spray the water directly on my scalp. I use this method for the remainder of my time in the the braids.

With both method I use diluted shaampoo and conditioner.

I hope that helped and I wasn't too confusing:spinning:

MizzBrown

UPDATE:

I finally washed them on Thursday by the way.

They look the same way.

Got in the shower, and was really careful with the water. Used a bottle w/ spout and used ORS Aloe shampoo diluted with water and just squirted it all up and down my scalp.

Rinsed and repeated.

Then got a spray bottle of ORS Replenishing condish and diluted with water and sprayed conditioner on scalp and braids.

I made sure to kind of pat my scalp, not rub or agitate and let the pressure of the shower get everything out.

Did an ACV spray/rinse, moisturized and sealed and let it air dry. No issues!

I found my new protective style! This is easy! And i can keep a clean scalp!

Tamrin

unapologetic
UPDATE:

They look the same way.

Got in the shower, and was really careful with the water. Used a bottle w/ spout and used ORS Aloe shampoo diluted with water and just squirted it all up and down my scalp.

Rinsed and repeated.

Then got a spray bottle of ORS Replenishing condish and diluted with water and sprayed conditioner on scalp and braids.

I made sure to kind of pat my scalp, not rub or agitate and let the pressure of the shower get everything out.

Congrats. I love your twists. You will find they are easy to care for. Do you have a good braid spray or Spritz? I was able to keep min in for months. I benefited a great deal. Keep us up to date with your progress.

L

Je Ne Sais Quoi

UPDATE:

They look the same way.

Rinsed and repeated.

Yay!! I'm glad it worked out. Your twists are really cute.

MizzBrown

Congrats. I love your twists. You will find they are easy to care for. Do you have a good braid spray or Spritz? I was able to keep min in for months. I benefited a great deal. Keep us up to date with your progress.

L

Yup! I made me a spritz instead of buying a braid spray.

I got a 5oz spray bottle and put a mix of:

-veggie glycerin
-rosewater
-aloe juice
-distilled water
-spiked it w/ some drops of peppermint, & tea tree EO.

Spray it all over twists and then i used Cocasta Shikakai oil, rubbed in hands and smoothed over the twists to seal and add some shine.

Got these in at a good time. I think i can stretch to 6 months with these!:thumbsup:

Solitude

UPDATE:

They look the same way.

Rinsed and repeated.

I'm glad it worked out for you. I had kinky twists for about 2 months one time & I washed my scalp weekly - not my braids directly. I rinsed in the shower, gently squeezed excess water out with a towel, added a little oil to my scalp, sprayed a braid-moisturizing spray to the twists while still a little damp.

Then, I tied my twists into a ponytail and tied them down with a scarf to prevent "frizzies." They still looked nice until I took them down (except for the new grow). I'm glad you posted this...kinky twists might be my protective style for Fall. :yep:

morehairplease

UPDATE:

They look the same way.

Rinsed and repeated.

thanks for sharing this! When I had yarn twists and would cw in the shower but I never used shampoo b/c I was afraid of what it would do to the braids(crazy I know).