Scarf Seperation Anxiety

fletgee

Since 2000 I have kept my hair in several braids and covered with a silk scarf literally 24/7. I only remove the scarf and take down the braids to wash and moisturize my hair. And to get a touchup. I usually wash my hair the day after my touch up then braid and scarf it. When I do go out I slide my scarf back a bit and put on my headband demi-wig with the krinkly braids.

I now want (and need) to let my scarf go and show my hair. I want to wear hairstyles, curls and such, to show off all my work. I will post my reason (if I get the nerve) in the off topic thread. It's a very serious reason.

But it seems I am having scarf seperation anxiety. I am afraid to remove my scarf and wear my hair out. Maybe I have had it covered too long. I don't wanna let my scarves go! I got a draw full of em!

My hair is very health. It is no longer thin and lifeless. And the thickness alone is amazing.

How do you change a 3 year habit?
whyme.gif
I really need to do this. It's important.

I think you should get used to it first of all by wearing your hair out in your home and getting comfortable with it that way. I used to wrap my head when I cut my locs off in 2000 and couldn't decide what to do with it, plus it was so short I didn't like it. Letting go of the wrap was a good thing for me and really hard as I became so paranoid about my hair being exposed and becoming thin.

The first time will be weird, but you'll eventually get used to it.

I agree with LD. Starting off by wearing your hair out at home is a great way to start. Do you wear your scarf to work daily? What types do you wear?

LondonDiva-

You hit the nail on the head. I am concerned about my hair being exposed and thinning out. I'm sitting here now with my scarf on.

Allandra-(hey girl!)

Due to a spinal injury I am retired. So I keep my hair in the scarf all the time.

You are both right. I need to ease myself out of this habit. But I am scared about hair damage. My hair was in a very sorry state when I started my quest. And I don't want anything to happen to it.

Is there a "Scarf 10 Step Program"? I'm such a
babyg.gif
when it comes to my hair.

Hey Fletgee
wave.gif

I would still take it slow, because it sounds like you've have some good progress.
up.gif
I love it when I'm at home with my scarf on. Sometimes I even wear a scarf when I'm running errands. I too feel 'safe' with it on. Please let us know what you decide to do.

We'll get you through the 10 step program.
wink.gif

Hmmm. U have your scarf on all day and u have braids AND your hair is growing well and thick. hmmmm. i got me a satin scarf and bonnet. Since im home all day everyday i guess im gonna try this thing too, till im ready to wash my hair and also when its time to take them down. Hmmm. I like this idead you have. Gonna try it everday that im not out. Prolly be good cause since these braids are down my back i wont be sittin on them anymore, nor almost gettin them caught n things and yanking.

Back