scissor happy stylist

NYRICAN1

After 8 months of stretching I will finally be getting a relaxer. I want to go back to my old stylist because she was always really good with my hair but everytime I would go to her she would want to cut off some of my hair I know I might need a trim but I think I would prefer to do it myself a little at a time instead of a big chop at one time. She always does this and then says my hair is not even. I know this but my hair still grows out longer on one side of my head then the other. How can I tell her not to cut?

Cinnabuns

How about saying "Maybe I'll get trim on my next visit." Or "I have someone else who trims my hair perfectly, so no thank you."

Supergirl is right and she does have a point, it is your hair and you have the right to say no if you don't want it. :)

mika vs sasha

Whatever you decide be firm... I recently went to the hair salon to get a touch up, and I left missing 4-5 inches of supposedly uneven hair. Don't be like me, tell your stylist don't cut my hair or else!!! I know I'm being dramatic but sometimes even if you say don't cut my hair, they still pull out the scissors. I'm walking around with out going crazy b/c I still can't get over the fact that I came in for a touch up and left with no hair. I basically went from having my hair to my shoulder to below my ear.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
mika vs sasha said:
Whatever you decide be firm... I recently went to the hair salon to get a touch up, and I left missing 4-5 inches of supposedly uneven hair. Don't be like me, tell your stylist don't cut my hair or else!!! I know I'm being dramatic but sometimes even if you say don't cut my hair, they still pull out the scissors. I'm walking around with out going crazy b/c I still can't get over the fact that I came in for a touch up and left with no hair. I basically went from having my hair to my shoulder to below my ear.

That's awful. See, that's the kind of mess that is unnecessary. (see my signature) There is no way that some one's hair should end up with that drastic of a length difference unless that customer specifically asked for such a cut! I hope you communicated to this stylist that you did not appreciate this. Or better yet--hope you found a better stylist. :)

mochamadness

Going the Distance
Supergirl said:
It's your hair. It's your money. Just simply tell her NO.

OKAY!!!!! You know what your personal hair goals are and it's going to be harder to achieve if your getting trims that you don't feel that you need.

sky_blu

Even though it is your money and your hair stylist are so damn sensitive when you tell them what to do with your hair. Which is why I had the same problem telling mine (and she my cousin at that) but I just had to tell her when Im getting ready to sit in the chair " I want a relaxer with no trim this time" and keep it moving. She understood and was like yeah ok. But I usually get a trim with every relaxer and at first my hair didnt look like it was growing but it is definitely growing with the trims I just have less split ends which I like. I hate when I see people with long hair and 80% of the hair has split ends.

Divine Inspiration

NYRICAN1 said:
After 8 months of stretching I will finally be getting a relaxer. I want to go back to my old stylist because she was always really good with my hair but everytime I would go to her she would want to cut off some of my hair I know I might need a trim but I think I would prefer to do it myself a little at a time instead of a big chop at one time. She always does this and then says my hair is not even. I know this but my hair still grows out longer on one side of my head then the other. How can I tell her not to cut?

Either DEMAND that she not go crazy and insist on watching as she trims in order to avoid any outrageous strokes ~or~ Find another stylist and explain the situation; use your judgment to guage whether this person is scissor happy and then supervise the process ~or~ check out this link on self-trimming, pick up some shears from Sally's and go for it. http://members.fortunecity.com/feye/trim/ushape.html

HTH! :)

Lucia

Don't under any circumstances let this woman cut your hair, she's proven that shes scissor crazy, so don't let her cut at all becasue she won't be able to control herself. Just go somewhere else to have it cut like a supercuts and tald with them so you get exactly what you want, or do the trimm yourself. Stylists always want to make hair even, but you'll loose alot of length that way.
My hair grows in a v/u shape and stylists would always end up cutting like 2-4 inches of length @ the back to match the front-which always catches u to the back. off the mic now
hth

Last edited:

hairmaster

As a stylist your hair is like a work of art. I don't let my clients go out the door undone, if its a blow-dry or a cut. the client is the one going out the door telling the people the come in contact with that I did their hair and they look at split ends uneven length. I don't think they will come to me to do their hair. But if the see clean fresh lines, good healthy hair, they will say I want your stylist name.

L

lkg4healthyhair

Just say no thanks and you will be doing your own trims.

Remember she is there to serve you....so she should be listening to you.

There is no reason to feel uncomfortable about your personal preferences for your hair.

I would just suggest that you tell her before she pulls out the scissors. I always find it best when you tell stylist's up front what you what.