Sea/Marine Vegetables (some included in Sushi) - Benefits to Hair

JetBlack

Peace & Love
Hi ladies: A few of us have been discussing marine/sea life contributing to hair growth...in particular, Viviscal and Fish Oil. I am a believer in this concept and found some helpful information regarding sea vegetables as it pertains to increasing hair/nail growth and beautiful skin. A doctor, that speaks on the radio, peaked my interest in this topic. He happened to mention seaweed salad as it relates to healthy hair. I am a dedicated sushi eater and one of my favorites is Seaweed Salad. He also mentioned how the sushi wrapping contains marine life called Nori (mentioned below). So, who knew? I never thought that sushi could have some type of nutritional value.

Here is some information that may be helpful regarding sea vegetables and hair growth.

=======================================================

by Linda Page, N.D., Ph.D

There are many reasons why I recommend sea vegetables as part of my Healthy Healing Programs––weight loss, cellulite control, detoxification, beautiful hair and skin, and more. Sea vegetables come in green, brown, red and blue-green algae.

-Kelp (laminaria) contains vitamins A, B, E, D, K, and C, and rich in minerals. Kelp proteins are comparable in quality to animal proteins. Kelp contains sodium alginate (algin), an element that helps remove radioactive particles and heavy metals from the body. Algin, carrageenan and ager are kelp gels that rejuvenate gastrointestinal health and aid digestion. Kelp works as a blood purifier, relieves arthritis stiffness, and promotes adrenal, pituitary and thyroid health. Kelp's natural iodine can normalize thyroid-related disorders like overweight and lymph system congestion. It is a demulcent that helps eliminate herpes outbreaks. Kelp is rich––a little goes a long way.

-Kombu (laminaria digitata, setchelli, horsetail kelp), has a long tradition as a Japanese delicacy with great nutritional healing value. It is a decongestant for excess mucous, and helps lower blood pressure. Kombu has abundant iodine, carotenes, B, C, D and E vitamins and minerals. Contains the powerful skin healing nutrient germanium. Kombu is a meaty, high-protein seaweed. It is higher in natural mineral salts than most other seaweeds. Add a strip of kombu to your bean pot to reduce gas.

-Hijiki is a mineral-rich, high-fiber seaweed, with 20% protein. Hijiki has the most calcium of any sea green, 1400mg per 100gr. of dry weight.

-Nori (porphyra, laver) is a red sea plant with a sweet, meaty taste when dried. It contains nearly 50% balanced, assimilable protein, higher than any other sea plant. Nori's fiber makes it a perfect sushi wrapper.

-Arame (Eisenia bycyclis), rich source of iodine. Herbalists use arame to help reduce breast and uterine fibroids, and through its fat soluble vitamins and phytohormones, to normalize menopausal symptoms. Arame promotes soft, wrinkle-free skin, enhances glossy hair and prevents its loss.

-Sea Palm (Postelsia Palmaeformis), It has a sweet, salty taste that goes especially well as a vegetable, rice or salad topping.

-Bladderwrack is packed with vitamin K - an excellent adrenal stimulant. It is still used today by native Americans in steam baths for arthritis, gout and illness recovery.

-Wakame (alaria, undaria) is a high-protein, high calcium seaweed. Widely used in the Orient for hair growth and luster, and for skin tone.

-Dulse (palmaria palmata), rich in iron, protein, and vitamin A. Supremely balanced nutrient, 300 times more iodine and 50 times more iron than wheat. Activity against herpes virus. It has purifying and tonic effects on the body.

-Irish moss (chondrus crispus, carrageen) full of electrolyte minerals. Its mucilaginous compounds help you detoxify, boost metabolism and strengthen hair, skin and nails. Traditionally used for a low sex drive.

Preventive measures may be taken against iodine deficiency problems or disease risk by adding just 2 tablespoons of chopped, dried sea greens to your daily diet.

Sea Vegetables for Health and Healing

FACT: The same 56 trace elements that run through the oceans run through the human body. The chemical structure of sea plants, bathed in these nutrients, is remarkably similar to human blood plasma.

Sea vegetables are a veritable medicine chest of premium nutrition! Ounce for ounce, sea greens are higher in essential nutrients than any other food group. They are rich sources of proteins, enzymes, antioxidants and amino acids that your body can easily use. Tests find that protein and carbohydrates from Japanese Nori are 70% assimilable––very high for a vegetable. Further, sea greens are very rich in body building minerals like calcium, iron, iodine and potassium. Just 1/2 cup of cooked Hijiki contains more iron than two eggs and the same amount of calcium as a half-cup of milk!

In addition, sea vegetables are high in blood purifying chlorophyll, carotenoids, essential fatty acids, octacosonal for tissue oxygenation and soluble fiber for system cleansing. They are the only vegetarian source of B-12, containing amounts that rival beef liver––the leading animal source. Sea greens contain trace minerals like boron, chromium and selenium that are vital to health, but that modern farming techniques have leached from the soil.

FACT: 40% of the U.S. population is deficient in Vitamin D. Symptoms include: nearsightedness, psoriasis, slow healing, and muscle cramps and tics. Eating vitamin D rich kombu is a great way to shore up a deficiency.

Sea vegetables can even ease the discomforts of menopause. Here's why:

Sea vegetables are a rich source of fat-soluble vitamins D and K that assist with production of steroidal hormones like estrogen and DHEA in the adrenal glands. Adrenals glands play a key role in shoring up hormone production when estrogen production slows down during menopause. Vitamin K in sea greens, in particular, boosts adrenal activity, meaning that eating and bathing in sea greens can help maintain female hormone balance for a more youthful body for years to come.

Sea vegetables dissolve fatty deposits in the cardiovascular system that lead to heart disease, and relieve tension in blood vessels caused by over-consumption of salt. Japanese studies from the 1960s show extracts from sea greens lowered people’s blood pressure. Studies from the Harvard School of Public Health show regular consumption of kelp (consumed as 5% of the diet) inhibits cancer growth and even causes remission of active tumors.

Sea vegetables are yummy and tasty! See recipe below. If you add sea veggies, no other salt is needed. Sundried, they can be stored in a moisture proof container and kept indefinitely.

***The information, above, comes from: Click Here ******

Isis

I agree with all of this. I eat various types of seaweed in my salads. /images/graemlins/lick.gif I also take spirulina daily, which is a blue-green algae.

sengschick

The Bun Master
/images/graemlins/lick.gif I love sushi. I can't say I love other sea veggies though /images/graemlins/look.gif. Wakame is so strong (in smell and taste) that it's hard to hide. I do have miso soup w/kombu from time to time and make hijiki w/fried corn /images/graemlins/lick.gif. But I need to do it more often, now I'll be encouraged since it has healthy hair benefits as well /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

ETA: Anyone know of a good (reasonably priced) spirulina supplement (pill form). I have the powder at home, but I can't get over the smell. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:
/images/graemlins/lick.gif I love sushi. I can't say I love other sea veggies though /images/graemlins/look.gif. Wakame is so strong (in smell and taste) that it's hard to hide. I do have miso soup w/kombu from time to time and make hijiki w/fried corn /images/graemlins/lick.gif. But I need to do it more often, now I'll be encouraged since it has healthy hair benefits as well /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

ETA: Anyone know of a good (reasonably priced) spirulina supplement (pill form). I have the powder at home, but I can't get over the smell. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
It sounds like you may be more sensitive to smells in general. I always take the tablet form of spirulina, Earthrise is my favorite brand and I buy it through www.iherb.com. The least expensive brand I've seen in health stores is the NOW brand. There may be more inexpensive brands than that online.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
divine said:
seaweed in salad sounds good......
what brand is that pill ?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're asking me, I take the Earthrise brand of spirulina.

Valerie

Thank you for the information, Jet Black, I take Kombu, I cook it, takes very nice, especially with onions. I also drink Kombu tea, I boil it and add a teabag of Cranberry and strawberry, or green tea with added lemon and add 1 teaspoon of honey, the first time, you boil Kombu, it tastes very strong, after the 2 and 3rd boiling, it is not so bad at all. Apart from strengthening my hair, I have noticed that my nails look very glossy, also it makes a nice soup too.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Valerie said:
Thank you for the information, Jet Black, I take Kombu, I cook it, takes very nice, especially with onions. I also drink Kombu tea, I boil it and add a teabag of Cranberry and strawberry, or green tea with added lemon and add 1 teaspoon of honey, the first time, you boil Kombu, it tastes very strong, after the 2 and 3rd boiling, it is not so bad at all. Apart from strengthening my hair, I have noticed that my nails look very glossy, also it makes a nice soup too.

[/ QUOTE ]
I love kombu! /images/graemlins/love.gif I usually make my large batches of homemade soups with it - very delicious and meaty. I drink green tea all of the time but I never tried kombu tea. Would the tea be great for our hair too? Is that what you are talking about with your stronger hair and glossy nails, the tea? If so, I'm going to the kitchen now to make me some kombu tea!

Dare~to~Dream

Is the seaweed salad an actual salad or a form of sushi? I thought it was a salad but I went to one Chinese restaurant and the lady informed me it was sushi...I thought it was two different things....I know I can't get with the raw fish but if it's a salad then I would like to try it.

B

ballet_bun

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're asking me, I take the Earthrise brand of spirulina.[/QUOTE]
Earthrise spirulina is really good. I prefer it to other brands!

angellazette

bump

We just happend to have a product in the house by Garden of Life called Perfect Food Super Green Formula. You are to mix 2 tablespoons into 8 ounces of water or juice. It's a powder, and boy does it smell!!! I haven't tried it yet, but came across this thread and thought it would be appropriate to post info about it.

Perfect Food® and Perfect Food® Original are powerful whole food formulas packed with antioxidant green grasses, micro-algae, sea vegetables, whole vegetables and their juices, sprouted grains, seeds, legumes, and acerola cherries.

Perfect Green Juice Blend
Barley Grass (Juice* and solubles), Alfalfa Grass Juice*, Wheat Grass Juice*, Oat Grass Juice* 5040mg

Perfect Protein Mineral Blend
Spirulina, Rice Bran soluble extract
Chlorella, Calcified red algae, Various kelp species 3300mg

Poten-Zyme Whole Food Matrix
Barley Grass, Oat Grass, Wheat Grass, Alfalfa Grass, Amaranth*, Quinoa*, Millet*, Adzuki bean, Buckwheat*, Garbanzo beans, Kidney beans, Lentils, Flax seeds, Sunflower seeds, Pumpkin seeds, Chia seeds, Sesame seeds 1200 mg

Acerola Cherry Extract 300 mg

Perfect Veggie Blend
Beet*, Carrot*, Broccoli*, Cucumber, Tomato*, Kale, Spinach*, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Celery, Parsley, Asparagus, Burssels Sprouts, Bell Pepper, Garlic, Giner, Onion 160 mg

Stevia 10 mg

*Organic

Jewell

I like to snack on small pieces of roasted seaweed every now and then. It comes in a package and has been roasted and coated lightly with Indian Corn Oil. Its lightly salted. I love it. I will see if eating it daily will help with growth/health of my hair and nails. My mom and I like sushi, and the Thai restaurant around the corner makes some good sushi. Either way, I like seaweed and kelp.

Solila

Bump!! Wow....there clearly has been progress and discoveries in the use of these sea veggies.