"Sealing ends/hair"

LovinLocks

Good morning ladies,

This concept of sealing the hair:

What?
When?
How?

How often?

I've run into it a couple of times, kept reading, but I kinda want more 4-1-1 about it.

For instance, didn't feel like co-washing last night, but I've been reading so much about VCO, happen to have a big ole bottle of it on hand (for my soap & body cream making). Anywho, I did apply it to my ends, massaged it in, even ran a little up the strand, braided, and covered my hair with a plastic cap then silk bonnet for overnight. A little later, I'll co-wash.

But, what is the exact skinny on sealing ends? Thanks, ladies.

Hey Loving Locks,

I'm a new to this as well but my take on sealing ends with oil is that the oil locks or seals in moisture for healthier hair.

For instance: Do your co-wash, add your leave ins, moisturize and then seal your ends with oil to lock in the moisture.

Oils act as sealants to keep moisture in the hair. It can also do the opposite if you add oils without moisturizing first. You then seal your hair from moisture being let in.

What: I love castor or coconut oil
When: it depends on you.....every night maybe day and night
How: moisturize your hair and then seal ends with oils
How: often: again all on your preferance

Many ladies can go into depth about various ways to seal ends and use oils and there are also a lot of threads on protecting ends.

HTH!:grin:

You might also want to check into one of the Sabino Moisture Block threads, where Victor Sabino states in his emails to members (and on his website www.gotfrizz.com) that his product is WATERPROOF and seals hair 100% from the elements - sealing in moisture/keeping out excess moisture that causes frizz.

Here is a link to one of the threads: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=227115 and a semi challenge thread with lengthy response from Victor: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=260769.

There is nothing like having your flat ironed hair stick straight with lovely swing, while it feels moisturized, not dry.

You can order free samples. :yep:

Good morning ladies,

This concept of sealing the hair:

What?
When?
How?

How often?

I've run into it a couple of times, kept reading, but I kinda want more 4-1-1 about it.

For instance, didn't feel like co-washing last night, but I've been reading so much about VCO, happen to have a big ole bottle of it on hand (for my soap & body cream making). Anywho, I did apply it to my ends, massaged it in, even ran a little up the strand, braided, and covered my hair with a plastic cap then silk bonnet for overnight. A little later, I'll co-wash.

But, what is the exact skinny on sealing ends? Thanks, ladies.

Bumping, I'd like to know more too. How do moisturize relaxed hair without frizzing it then sealing?

Oh snap, do you ladies see this discoing, jamming, lil animal at the end of Win's posts????? Oh, stop the boat!!!!!!! She is tooooo cute, look at her go.

You might also want to check into one of the Sabino Moisture Block threads, where Victor Sabino states in his emails to members (and on his website www.gotfrizz.com) that his product is WATERPROOF and seals hair 100% from the elements - sealing in moisture/keeping out excess moisture that causes frizz.

Here is a link to one of the threads: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=227115 and a semi challenge thread with lengthy response from Victor: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=260769.

There is nothing like having your flat ironed hair stick straight with lovely swing, while it feels moisturized, not dry.

You can order free samples. :yep:

Okaaay. I keep seeing this gentleman's name too. Thanks Win :Rose:

Hey Loving Locks,

I'm a new to this as well but my take on sealing ends with oil is that the oil locks or seals in moisture for healthier hair.

For instance: Do your co-wash, add your leave ins, moisturize and then seal your ends with oil to lock in the moisture.

Oils act as sealants to keep moisture in the hair. It can also do the opposite if you add oils without moisturizing first. You then seal your hair from moisture being let in.

What: I love castor or coconut oil
When: it depends on you.....every night maybe day and night
How: moisturize your hair and then seal ends with oils
How: often: again all on your preferance

Many ladies can go into depth about various ways to seal ends and use oils and there are also a lot of threads on protecting ends.

HTH!:grin:

Okay... so now I'm confused. I thought the leave-in would be the "moisturizer"... what moisturizers do you ladies use after your leave-in but before your sealing...?

Got it, thanks.

Plenty of coconut oil here (I'm a soapmaker) and I just learned of the ayurvedic stuff, Indian oils and ordered some Jasmine and Vatika. Woooo whooooo!

LL

How often should you moisturize and seal?
Daily? Or only after a wash?
If it's only after a wash, do you still use your regular moisturizer every day (even though it is now technically on top of your sealing oil?)
Thanks!

How often should you moisturize and seal?
Daily? Or only after a wash?
If it's only after a wash, do you still use your regular moisturizer every day (even though it is now technically on top of your sealing oil?)
Thanks!
I do it daily

Okay... so now I'm confused. I thought the leave-in would be the "moisturizer"... what moisturizers do you ladies use after your leave-in but before your sealing...?

I'm confused as well. After i wash/co-wash, I apply my leave-in and then seal....on a daily basis, i usually use mango butter and seal or garnier fructis leave-in and seal. leave-ins can be your moisturizer, correct?

I'm confused as well. After i wash/co-wash, I apply my leave-in and then seal....on a daily basis, i usually use mango butter and seal or garnier fructis leave-in and seal. leave-ins can be your moisturizer, correct?

Yes, I'm under the impression that water and your water-based leave-ins are moisturizers and then you want to seal that with an oil.

Sorry ladies I did not mean to confuse anyone. I guess you can apply a leave and then seal! It's all up to you!:grin:

I usually apply one leave and a moisturizer and then seal. I may try just the leave in and see how it goes.

Can you seal oil with serum or does it have to be actual oil?

There was another thread about this and ladies said it helped their hair to dry very soft. I am trying it as I type and I'll report back. I would be concerned thought that the serum would completely seal out moisture, so I only plan on doing it when I'm cwing daily. :yep:

Back