Seaweed hair growth Challenge 2011 anyone!

ycj1

Ok ladies this is my first start up challenge ever.
2011 Seaweed challenge!

I was reading a post last night and became intrigued by it's contents. As I can tell it's only been discussed and never taken to a challenge so why not start it.

This challenge will officially begin 11 Mar 2011! end 30 Nov 2011

I am allowing enough time for all participants interested to get all the vitamins/foods together so that we can all start at the same time.

I also would like to go Nine months on this instead of 6 months. Some of us are slow growers and need more time in order to see results.

So all I ask is just be patient, everyone has different growth rates than others. Some may notice accelerated growth while others will take time to see a difference.

I found this from greenfootsteps.com/seaweed-health.html which is interesting to know about please enjoy:

Seaweed health benefits and seaweed eating have been mainly explored by island and coastal people. Japanese culture has developed seaweed cuisine to a notable level. The flavors and textures add a subtle and exotic element to Janpanese food which has made it increasingly popular in the west.

Seaweed health benefits:

Laver or Nori
Nori is rich in iodine and iron and quite high in protein. It is also a good source of vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium, magnesium and riboflavin (B2). Not only does it have all these nutritional riches, it is also a low-fat food.

Nori is a type of laver sold in the west. Japanese nori is grown in the Ise Bay region - a mountainous and well-forested coastal area where the sea waters are still relatively pure. Development is restricted in order to protect the seaweed quality and purity.

Kelp ot Kombu found in many areas of the world. It is a brown seaweed with literally thousands of varieties. It is found in all sorts of commercial products, from toothpaste to fertilizer. As it is exceptionally rich in iodine, it used to be the main source of preventing goitre and treating thyroid conditions. Kelp or Kombu is a great source of iron, magnesium and folate (vitamin B9).

Wakame is a type of kelp. It's tasty and valuable seaweed which can be added into soups and stews. Wakame is mainly produced in Japan and the far east though there are now wakame producers in France (Brittany)
Recent research shows it to have anti-obesity properties and to be very high in EPA, and essential fatty acid.
Wakame is a green seaweed with a slippery consistency and an almost sweet taste. It has a thick band of fibre in the center which can be easily cut out to give a more palatable effect.
If you make soup with it, you could be forgiven for thinking you were eating fish soup. It can easily be added in small amounts to lots of cooked dishes such as stir-fries and stews. It's also delicious as a side dish. The Japanese use it as part of miso soup.

Seaweed is available in most health food shops.

Why bother with seaweed?

Here is something eles I found on ehow.com which is vital for all to read especially those on a low sodium diet

Funtion: Nori seaweed is believed to stimulate hair growth for a variety of reasons. Biotin supplements are sold in health food stores to strengthen hair, but biotin can be found in naturally high quantities in Nori. The liver and kidneys are closely associated with healthy hair growth and strength, and seaweed helps stimulate cell regeneration to maintain healthy liver function. Hair growth is stimulated by an abundance of amino acids and proteins, which are both components of Nori seaweed.

Consideration: The effects of Nori seaweed on hair growth are only evident when the seaweed is ingested as food, seaweed applied directly to the hair or scalp will not demonstrate the same benefits. Nori is also high in sodium, people on a low or reduced sodium diet should not incorporate large amounts of Nori into their diet because of the potential negative side effects of increased sodium.
This info was found on ehow.com/seaweed

To sign up for the challenge just click on the thanks button and I will be more than happy to add yr name. Sign up ends 30 april 2011,

There are basically no rules but a few, post yr starting length (how many inches long is yr hair now) how many times a wk yr taking yr seaweed, what form ie, soups, salads alone or vitamins, how many times a week and share yr recepies if any with the rest of us. The reveal with pictures will be 30 Nov. You don't have to show pics now bc I know some of you are in other challenges like hide yr hair or protective styles such as braids and twist such as myself.
The deadline to become part of the challenge is 30 April 2011. Ok ladies let the challenge begin.

Oh, also if anyone else has any info they would like to share about the benefits they may have found pls do share with us. HHG:grin::lick:

The participants are:
gundhair
omnipadme
rejuvenation1
firstborn2
che1219

Last edited:

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
My 8yr old son loves Seaweed and he eats about 2 bags a week just as a snack. Most kids like candy and cookies but he is a unknowing health nut. :lol:

I would love to join you but after smelling his seaweed breath I want to vomit.

I will cheer you on from the sidelines!!!!!! I wish you the best of success.:yep:

guudhair

I'll join you...I'll eat the snack kind for starters...I'll let you know what kind/brand the end of next week (currently underway)...

omnipadme

Count me in!
- eating 8 Nori sheets a day (perfect low carb snack)
- 1 tsp. of kelp powder added to my weekly ayurveda treatment

In the hiding hair challenge, but will take progress pics & post at the end!

omnipadme

Count me in!
- eating 8 Nori sheets a day (perfect low carb snack)
- 1 tsp. of kelp powder added to my weekly ayurveda treatment

In the hiding hair challenge, but will take progress pics & post at the end!

Correction- I don't think I can do the flavor of nori chips:perplexed- got some kelp supplements instead! Relatively cheap at WF- 100 tablets of 660mg for $8 bucks

ycj1

My 8yr old son loves Seaweed and he eats about 2 bags a week just as a snack. Most kids like candy and cookies but he is a unknowing health nut. :lol:

I will cheer you on from the sidelines!!!!!! I wish you the best of success.:yep:
Girl you know yr too funnnnnnnnnnnny

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
Girl, I love my son to death but him coming at me with fish breath is a no no.:nono: He loves it though. His twin get chips at the store and he wants seaweed and he likes it spicy!

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I'm in, I was thinking about doing this, I eat seaweed snack and miso soup from time to time, I'll just step it up!

ETA::: I will eat a pack of seaweed snacks everyday and miso soup w/seaweed or a seaweed salad 3x's a week

Last edited:

che1219

Count me in, I too will be eating miso soup w/seaweed and seaweed snack daily or at least 4-5 times a week.

omnipadme

bump- I'm doing my kelp daily and found that eating the nori chips isn't so bad- just 2 sheets a day. So far so good!

Bnster

Oh great I can look forward to seaweed breathe. :nono: Oh well.

guudhair

bumpn...I'm back...I got a few 10-pack nori sheets...they actually taste pretty good...I'll eat a pack every day...i'm in braids now but will post results when I take them out.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I here crickets in here:look: has the challenged started already? anyway I've been eating sea lavar snack packs everyday and miso soup 3x a week. Now before somebody come in here judging. I no longer eat a S.A.D. I'm raw although I don't know if the prepackaged sea lavar qaulify me as 100% raw anymore:ohwell:. Tis All...

NicWhite

Hey Ladies,

Just wanted to know how this is going for you. It's been about 2 1/2 months. Has anyone noticed anything, as far as hair growth and/or hair quality (strength, softness, thickness? How about with your skin and nails?

DrC

Nori seaweed is my favorite. I haven't had any in a long time.
Maybe I will go to the store and try this challenge since i can eat it like crazy.

larry3344

Anyway....i bought a box of 24 seaweed snacks at the chinese grocer for $10 including tax

Omg they are so addictive...i can't stop eating them.

Definitely got to up your water intake because of the salt content. Hoping to beat my potato craving.

Anyone care to join me?

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
Anyway....i bought a box of 24 seaweed snacks at the chinese grocer for $10 including tax

Omg they are so addictive...i can't stop eating them.

Definitely got to up your water intake because of the salt content. Hoping to beat my potato craving.

Anyone care to join me?
Hmmm...I have a bag of kelp at home, and I'd heard about it benefiting hair, but I never began ingesting it. Just saw some info (http://www.livestrong.com/article/158317-kelp-for-hair-growth-does-it-work/). I do remember it not smelling like I would enjoy eating it, but maybe I can bury the taste in a smoothie.

I will have to revisit this.

larry3344

Hmmm...I have a bag of kelp at home, and I'd heard about it benefiting hair, but I never began ingesting it. Just saw some info (http://www.livestrong.com/article/158317-kelp-for-hair-growth-does-it-work/). I do remember it not smelling like I would enjoy eating it, but maybe I can bury the taste in a smoothie.

I will have to revisit this.
Let me know...i want to steadily increase seaweed like kelp, irish moss and nori to my diet.

In what form do you buy it in?