Secrets, Secrets...

Porsche19

Hi!

I recently noticed that I use a bunch of products that either:

No one else or a very small percentage of you have tried or in some cases, even heard of.

OR

That people use and basically agree that it’s a good product, but not enough people are using it! :lol:

I call these things, my secret weapons. lol

I’m willing to share them! My hair has never looked better. I think so and so do others, and I think all of these things help me. So the next time you’re in the bss and you see something mentioned, or if you happen to have something mentioned and have never tried it... give the stuff a try, you may like it! :p

I have 3c/4a/4b? hair. I’m officially confused about that, but just think extremely curly mixed with a lot o’ kink. I am also the queen of cheapie products! You won’t find me using too many salon products, but keep in mind that low price doesn’t equal low quality.

Also, if YOU have any secret weapons it would be nice to share them. :)

Now for my lengthy reviews:

********************************************************************************************************************

!PCJ Lye Relaxer!

:eek:

This is a great relaxer! I was shocked that people thought that PCJ makes only no-lye relaxers when I posted about me using it. It is a LYE (sodium hydroxide based!) relaxer packed in a box with neutralizing shampoo and a conditioner called “nutrient sheen” to be used before neutralizing plus a deep conditioner for after neutralizing.

It comes in a box with a picture of a woman and a young girl and says original formula. It looks a lot like the no-lye formula (which says new no-lye formula and has only a woman on the front)

I’m sorry that I don’t have any ingredients to list for this one, they are on the box. It leaves my hair VERY shiny and silky. It’s also very gentle. I had no burning with it. I can’t get over how well it works and that my girls just aren’t accepting it :) It costs only 5.99 too. Those are the pros.

The cons are:

1. If you have very thick hair or you are all natural, you’d have to buy more than one box. The amount of relaxer is enough for a touchup for me (I have above average thickness, but not the thickest I‘ve seen), but for people who may have more hair, it’s not going to cover it. Still, paying $12 isn’t going to break your back.

2. While the conditioner for after neutralizing is good, imo it’s not moisturizing enough or enough of it included in the kit. Not that it’s horrible, I just prefer to do something a bit more hardcore moisturizing directly after a relaxer.

********************************************************************************************************************

!Aphogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair!

I use this once a month before I do a mild protein treatment. It gets rid of build-up, but is gentle at the same time. It has a good amount of proteins, lecithin, pathenol and other goodies in it. It never fails to leave my hair soft and clean, but not stripped. It also has a low pH. It costs $4.

Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocomidopropyl Betaine, Cocamide DEA, Sodium Lauryl Sarcosinate, Oleamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride, Glycol Disterate, Pathenol, fragrance, Lecithin, Polyquaternium-10, Hydrolyzed Whole Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Cocoyl Hydrolyzed Collagen, Butyl Stearate, Oleoyl Sarcosinate, Sesame oil, Lanolin Alcohol, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylparaben, FD&C Red No.40.

!KeraCare Super Reconstructor!

I don’t consider this to be a hard core reconstructor. It has no keratin at all. Still, it’s not mild. It will stop your breakage anyway. It also helps with problems with elasticity and porosity really well. After using it my hair is in noticeably better condition. I used it on my mother’s damaged hair and it reduced her breakage and shine. It has a pH of 3. It costs $38 dollars for 8 ounces... at least that’s what it costs me. You may be able to find it for a lower price.

Cons:

The only bad thing about it is that it’s very thick, and should not... I repeat should not be mixed with other conditioners. It can be a little hard to rinse out alone, but when mixed with another conditioner makes curdles that are EXTREMELY hard to rinse out. Yes, I learned that the hard way. Even with the curdles it did a good job though!

Ingredients: Aqua, Collagen Amino Acids, Polyacrylamidomethylpropane Sulfonic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Sodium PCA, Methylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea.

!Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum!

I would compare this to Aubrey’s GPB conditioner. It’s a very light protein conditioner that you can use often that won’t cause breakage or dry hair. It will help you hair stop breaking or help to keep it from breaking. It’s good for in between reconstructor times or if you are having lots of breakage, but don’t want to use too much keratin. However, it’s not a moisturizing conditioner. You should follow up with a moisturizing conditioner or you can mix it with your moisturizing conditioner. It costs under $5.

Ingredients: Purified Water, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Disodium Cocamphodiacetate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Polysorbate 20, Acetamide mea, Phenoxyyethanol, Dmdm Hydantoin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Magnesium Sulfate, Citric Acid, Fragrance, Fd&c yellow #5, Fd&c yellow #6, Fd&c red #40, Fd&c blue #1

!Parneavu Organic Hair Mayonnaise!

This is a GREAT deep conditioner. For those of you whose hair likes Olive oil and Glycerin, take a look at the ingredients. It makes my hair feel buttery soft. It also gives great curl definition. I have no tangles after using it. It costs around $4.50.

Cons:

It has those little herbal things in it like motions CPR, which is a little annoying to me.

Ingredients: Water, Olive Oil, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Poluquternium-37, Dimethicone, Laneth-15, Cetyl Alcohol, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Isostearamidopropyl lauryllacetodimonium Chloride, Albumen (egg protein), Cholesterol, Tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), Retinyl Palimate (vitamin A), Cholecalciferol (vitamin D3), dl-Pathenol (vitamin B5), PEG-8 Dimethiconol Olivate, Carrot oil, Stinging Nettle (urtica dioica), Sage (salvia officinalis), Rosemary (rosmarinus officinalis), Watercress (naturtium officinale), Irish Moss (chondrus crispus), Coltfoot (tussilago farfara), Burdock (arctium lappa), Elder Flower (sambucus nigra), DMDM Hydantoin, BHA, BHT, Benzophenone-4, Fragrance, FD&C Yellow#6 (CI15985), D&C Orange #4 (CI15510)

!Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholesterol!

The best cholesterol product that I have tried to this day. First of all, it smells wonderful. It moisturizes/gives shine and detangles very well. For some reason, I get 4 uses out of one jar of this conditioner when I usually get 3 uses out of jars of other conditioners that are the same size. It costs less than $3.

Ingredients: Deoinized Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Steralkonium Chloride, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Olive Oil, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Mineral Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Jojoba oil, Avocado oil, Coconut Oil, Egg Protein, Cholesterol, Aloe Vera Extract, Calendula Extract, Lemon Extract, Rosemary Extract, Great Burdock Extract, Ivy Extract, Pine Extract, Sage Extract, Watercress Extract, Chamomile Extract, White Nettle Extract, Capucine Extract, Fragrance, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Diazolinyl Urea, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, D&C Yellow #10, FD&C Yellow#5, FD&C Blue#1, FD&C Red#33

I have more to add...

Porsche19

!Luster’s Pink RevitaLEX Conditioner!

I posted about this a while ago and the feeling that I got was “Nobody else has used it or raved about it, so I ain’t using it.” Now that’s hurtful! :look:

Actually I did a search on it and a while ago people were raving about it. The thread is like one page 1000 though.

Anyways, it’s a good conditioner. It’s moisturizes well. If you need a really good deep conditioner because you have damaged hair, this may not do it for you, but if your hair is healthy, it’s great.

It would work for everyone as conditioner wash or and instant conditioner because it DETANGLES really well. I have no tangles after using this. It smells very yummy too. It costs $3

Cons:

It’s not very thick or rich in light proteins or oils... the properties that I would think would make in unsuitable for those who have very damaged hair.

Ingredients: Deionized Water (aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Acetamide MEA, PEG-75 Lanolin, Glycerol Stearate Cetrimonium Chloride, Polymethacrylamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Tocopherol (Vitamin E) Polysorbate 65, PEG-10 Castor Oil, Methylparaben, Proplylparaben, Imidazolidnyl Urea, Fragrance.

!VO5 Moisture Milks Conditioners!

I’ve seen raves about other V05 Conditioners, but where is the love for the Moisture Milks?

It smells like candy! They are great for conditioner washes. I have even used them as deep conditioners in a ran-out-of-deep-conditioner-emergency and they do a good job. They are dollar conditioners, but contain soy protein, Biotin, Pathenol and other goodies. They aren’t heavy and don’t build up. They would make nice good smelling leave-ins.

Ingredients (for honeydew smoothie conditioner): Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Steralkonium Chloride, Steareth-21, Glyceryl Stearate, Cucumis Melo (Melon) Extract, Glycine Soja (soybean) Seed extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Biotin, Thiamin HCL, Polysorbate 20, Ascorbic Acid, Pathenol, Propylene Glycol, DMDM Hydantoin, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), Yellow 10 (CI 47005), Blue 1 (CI 42090), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Green 3 (CI 42053)

!Vitale Mo’ Body Essential Oils!

The best oil mix that I’ve tried! It doesn’t contain any silicones like Hot 6 Oil, it doesn’t contain minerals like wild growth oil, and it doesn’t have protein like Africa’s best clove oil. It’s just all natural oils, which I like. It also smells great without having any fragrance in it. It leaves your hair shiny and moisturized. Actually a lot better than hot 6 oil in performance and smell... I used to love Hot 6 too. It costs under $4.

Ingredients: Sesame Oil, Kukui Nut Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Lanolin Oil, Sunflower Oil, Olive Oil, Mink Oil, Aloe Vera Oil, safflower Oil, Vitamin A, D and E

!Surge Moisture Aide!

It’s a leave-in conditioner/hair lotion. It is the first leave in that is not watery that my hair likes. It is not creamy either... it’s in between. It smells good and REALLY moisturizes my hair. As long as they make this I won’t be looking for leave-ins anymore. It costs $5

Ingredients: Water, Gaur Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Glycosaminoglycans (muccopolysaccharides), Sativa Officinalis Sage extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Rumen Acetosella Sheep Sorrel Extract, Achillea Millefolim Yarrow Extract, Ulmus Fulva Bark Slippery Elm Extract, Arctim Majus Root Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis Golden Seal Extract, Pilocarpus Pennatifolius Leaf Jaborandi Extract, Medicgo Sativa Alfalfa Extract, Hyssopus Officinalis Hyssop Extract, Sodium Polyacrylate, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Trideceth-6, Polysorbate 20, Fragrance, Diazolidinyll Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate

!Herbal Essences Leave-in Conditioner!

A “white hair product” that works for me. It has a surprisingly moisturizing ingredients list. I use it diluted in distilled water to moisturize my hair on days that I don’t wash it. It helps to keep my hair soft and silky. Imo it’s good enough to use full strength after washing your hair too. I just happen to like the Moisture Aide a bit more for that purpose. It costs $4

Ingredients: Water, Amdimethicone, Polyquaternium-11, Pathenol, Angelica Archangelica Extract, Oenthera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Calendula Officinalis Extract, Citric Acid, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PPG2 Methylether, Polysorbate 80, Aminomethyl Propanol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Dimethicone Copolyol, Tricedeth-12, Fragrance, Propylene glycol, Methylparaben, Methylchlorosothiazolinone, Methyllisothiazolinone

!Hollywood Beauty Carrot Creme!

I’ve seen this mentioned, but where are all the users?!?

It smells very good. It the best thing I’ve even put on my ends. It really helps them to not split or break. I use it specifically on my ends. Profectiv is greasy and heavy on my hair, and the protein in it makes my hair dryish and brittle. Elasta’s mango butter is also a little bit too thick and rich for my liking. The Carrot Creme is creamy, not oily contains protein without making the hair dry and it keeps my ends in perfect shape. It costs $3.

Ingredients: Deionized water, Isopropyl Myristatem Cetearyl Alcohol, Soybean oil, Stearic Acid, Ceteareth 20, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidnyl Urea, Carrot Oil, Hydrolyzed hair Keratin Protein, Vitamin A (Palmitate), Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Vitamin E (Tocopherol), Carrot Extract (Beta Carotene), L-Cystine, Pathenol (Vitamin B), Peanut Oil, Arginine, Horsetail Extract

!Elasta QP Design Foam!

A MUST for my roller sets. It gives a very, very light hold. It’s an extremely light product... it leaves no type of residue or stickiness. It just melts into your hair. It makes my hair softer and surprisingly detangles a bit too. The roller sets come out very shiny, soft and bouncy. It costs about $5.

Ingredients: Botanical Extracts of Rosemary, Nettle, Lemon Balm, Chamomile, Horse Chestnut, Coltsfoot Leaf, Horsetail in Purified Water, Vinylpyrridone/Dimethylaminoethyl, Methacrylate Copolymer, Pathenol (Pro-Vitamin B5) Benzophenone-4, Methylparaben, Octoxynol-13, Citric Acid, Fragrance.

!Garnier Fructis Construct Mousse!

Gives good hold without that crunchiness. It’s great for twist outs and my wash and gos. It’s light and won’t cause build-up or increase you drying time like many gels do. It smells good and will last a long time. It has a good amount of castor oil in it. It costs less than $5.

Ingredients: Water/Aqua, Isobutane, Propylene Glycol, Acrylates Copolymer, Propane, Phenoxyyethanol, Triacetin, Aminomethylpropanol, polyquaternium-4, Hydrogenated Castor oil, Methylparaben, Fragrance/Parfum, Amodimethicone, Polysorbate 20, PEG-192 Apricot Kernel Glycerides, PEG-70 Mango Glycerides, Trideceth-12, Cetrimonium Chloride, Lemon Extract

Well... I know that was nice and long. Hope that you see something you like in there and hope that you post yours too!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I've used ElastaQP Breakage Control Serum before. After I used it up, I didn't buy it again (I find that my hair really doesn't need protein). I've been wanting to try Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholesterol but I have LeKair Cholesterol Plus right now (don't wanna become a product junkie). Thanks for sharing your secret weapons!

bajanplums1

Nexxus Botanoil (not a secret, but definitely a weapon)
Salerm Wheat Germ Mask (AMAZING on my HAIR)
Alterego Coconut Conditioning Mask
Aphogee Essential Fatty Acids Oil Concentrate
Pure Coconut Oil

these are definitely my secret weapons. My hair has been breakage free for since I incorporated these products into my hair (since Feb. 1, 2005). I get a few hairs while combing, but my hair no longer breaks off in pieces when I touch the ends. I am pleasantly surprised and pleased.

carameldiva

i have an organic hair butter that i purchased from www.freshlymade.biz

(they sent me an email and said that i tripled their web traffic, inquiries about the products and purchases so they offered to make me a sales rep. can you guys believe this and i wasn't even getting paid just speaking the truth)

it's full of goodies such as shea butter, nettles, rosemary and other good stuff.

i swear by cholesterol.

Aussie conditioners are great for my daily conditioner washes.

That's really about all i have to share right now.

Shatani

i need a protein tx that is strong and stops breakage but doesnt require me to use heat (cuz i dont have a dryer)....do any of the above mentioned products fit the bill???

Porsche19

Shatani said:
i need a protein tx that is strong and stops breakage but doesnt require me to use heat (cuz i dont have a dryer)....do any of the above mentioned products fit the bill???

You know, you can use a moist towel instead. That's what I used to do. You wet it, wring it out and pop it in the microwave until it's hot (but not too hot!), then wrap it around your head. It is a little bit more work to do, but it worls in the same way a heating cap would. The heat runs out in about 10 minutes, I used to just heat the towel up 2x.

Use a reconstructor to stop breakage... I use Aphogee's 2 minute Keratin reconstructor.

The other products above, I don't think are good enough to really stop hair that has been breaking because they don't have keratin. They are good for using when your hair is more healthy to reduce it and ensure that non starts or when you have mild breakage.

Kalani

Porche19, I use the Herbal Essence leave-in as well. I'll spray it on during a rollerset or use it as a "refreshener" on my air dried hair. Good stuff! :grin:

Shatani

Porsche19 said:
You know, you can use a moist towel instead. That's what I used to do. You wet it, wring it out and pop it in the microwave until it's hot (but not too hot!), then wrap it around your head. It is a little bit more work to do, but it worls in the same way a heating cap would. The heat runs out in about 10 minutes, I used to just heat the towel up 2x.

Use a reconstructor to stop breakage... I use Aphogee's 2 minute Keratin reconstructor.

The other products above, I don't think are good enough to really stop hair that has been breaking because they don't have keratin. They are good for using when your hair is more healthy to reduce it and ensure that non starts or when you have mild breakage.
thanks for the info! i will look into that :D i really think that this will be the answer to my breakage issues....

so, does all the aphogee stuff contain keratin? like even the shampoos and conditioners??

songbyrd517

I second the Aphogee 2-Minute Keratin Reconstructor :yep: I've been using that for about 3 years now, and I still love it!

Porsche19

No, but the reconstructor is good. Their treatment for damaged hair gets good reviews, but I've never used it. If your breakage is severe, that may be a better pick. It stinks to high heavens though.

They also have this leave in (called green tea/keratin restructurizer) that has LOTS of keratin. I wouldn't use the leave in because I imagine it would be drying.

A person doesn't need to use too much keratin in their hair, you know. :)

Shatani

i dont know if my breakage is severe, but its definitely constant....i can run my fingers through my hair at any time and some will end up in my hands....i can slightly tug at a twist and some hair will be between my fingers....i know i definitely need some protein, just dont know what would be best....

Porsche19

The 2 minute should do it then, or any other good keartin reconstructor you wanna use.

Really bad breakage is like handfuls coming out or seeing your hair in all parts of the house. That's the only time I would use the other one.

sugarsweet

I am so glad some one else in this forum uses PARNEVU it is a great product I use there whole line. I think that is the only thing that saves me when I am really not taking good care of my hair. :grin: I also use doo gro when I am really trying to grow out my hair. Thanks for the product secrets shhhhhhhhh :look:

L

lkg4healthyhair

WOW thanks for posting all this!!!!!

I used to use PCJ Relaxer years ago. I read this is the relaxer Toni Braxton uses because she has really fine hair (like me).

I may try some of these in the future. I just have soo many product to go thru now.

Sorry I don't have any thing to share

carameldiva said:
i have an organic hair butter that i purchased from www.freshlymade.biz

(they sent me an email and said that i tripled their web traffic, inquiries about the products and purchases so they offered to make me a sales rep. can you guys believe this and i wasn't even getting paid just speaking the truth)

it's full of goodies such as shea butter, nettles, rosemary and other good stuff.
I am so excited. thanks for posting

Jewell

Not really a secret, but a help...WGHO on my new growth to help detangle. Another big help that I've used for years in Infusium 23 Leave-In...I won't CO wash or shampoo my hair without it. It has really saved my ends, and it detangles very well...also, NTM Silk Touch Leave-In...it has UV filters (for my color)...most Nexxus products have UV filters, which I use. The two biggest things that have helped my hair (I guess these could be secrets to people who don't know) are ABSOLUTELY NO HEAT APPLIANCES, and ALWAYS AIRDRYING, which have both helped to save my ends also. ;)

jadestar

Motions CPR... My hair has been feeling dry these last few weeks--in need of TLC. I've been contemplating what to do...use something I already have...try something new?? Well, yesterday I was in the BSS and came across the CPR, which I had used before and like, but forgot about. My hair will be getting some resuscitation this weekend!!!:lachen:

_lovelyness

:(
I'm an official frustrated product junkie !
90% (if not all) of these products are not available in france *sight*

brownsugarbabe

jadestar said:
Motions CPR... My hair has been feeling dry these last few weeks--in need of TLC. I've been contemplating what to do...use something I already have...try something new?? Well, yesterday I was in the BSS and came across the CPR, which I had used before and like, but forgot about. My hair will be getting some resuscitation this weekend!!!:lachen:

I use the Motions CPR and mix in a little QP breakage serum and EVOO. My regime is still new (only 1 1/2 months old) but this has been working great for me so far.

tryn2growmyhair

brownsugarbabe said:
I use the Motions CPR and mix in a little QP breakage serum and EVOO. My regime is still new (only 1 1/2 months old) but this has been working great for me so far.
How often do you use Motions CPR and is it moisturizing?