See why did I go back to African Pride after Phyto...

UmSumayyah

I noticed that the Phyto thinned two patches of hair on my hairline. However my hair was softer than after my usual relaxer (Mizani).
I wasn't gonna use phyto after what it did to my hairline, and I never had that problem with African Pride or Mizani. This past weekend I couldn't take it anymore, it was time to relax. However I neglected to plan ahead and did not have any relaxer on hand. (usually I get it at least a month in advance). I need hours to relax and dh agreed to take the kids out so I bought two boxes of African Pride and went to work.
My hair is almost crispy compared to how it felt after Phyto. Although AP does straighten well, and for the first time I could do my whole head in one day because I managed to relax the back and then the front instead of right side, left side as is my normal routine.
After my hair felt so dry (though it is alot longer) I remembered that though I liked the Phytorelaxer, I did not like their pre-balm because I thought it was too thin. So it stands to reason that the hairline damage may have been caused by their lame corn-oil balm and not the relaxer.
So I may just have to go back to Phyto and use my normal petrolaturm stuff to base with. Although Phyto costs so much I'm thinking of doing the front in Phyto and the back in African Pride, mixing a bit of castor and coconut oil in. What do you think?

Tanelions

Hey Umsumayyah,
Next time you wash maybe try some porosity control cond.. That may help.
As far as using two different relaxer I don't know.
I'm sure some other ladies here can offer some suggestions on that.

Bump, Bump, Bump

MomofThreeBoys

I'm sorry this happened to you. I don't think its wise to use two different relaxers in your head. Why don't you try phyto one more time, with your on basing products and then evaluate? If that doesn't work out, you can go back to Mizani and try it out.

czyfaith77

natalied said:
I'm sorry this happened to you. I don't think its wise to use two different relaxers in your head. Why don't you try phyto one more time, with your on basing products and then evaluate? If that doesn't work out, you can go back to Mizani and try it out.

I agree. I wouldn't advise trying two different relaxers to relax varies parts of my hair.

hottopic

natalied said:

I agree...In addtion the ph level might be different in both products.

UmSumayyah

Thanks. I will go back to Phyto next time and see what I think. I'm going to try to get my whole head with one jar, which should be possible since I'm going back to every 12 weeks instead of every 17.

beloved1

Well, I am glad I read that b/c I was tempted to step out on my Phyto and try something else next time. I have a family reunion and I will be 8 weeks post-relaxer, I had planned to get braids at that point and go 16 weeks until my next relaxer, but I really want to look cute when I see my husbands' family. So, looks like I'll be reordering my Phyto sooner than I thought-- unless I figure out how to get my ng to lay down (at 8 weeks, I would have about 2 inches of ng).

UmSumayyah

Do you still use Phyto?
I haven't relaxed in YEEAAARSSSS. Maybe a decade. (jeeze I've been on this board a long time). My hair keeps breaking off at the ends. I have a good length, enough for a little puff or pony if I stretch it a bit with coconut oil. Maybe just grazing shoulder length. However, when I was relaxing my hair got past my shoulders.

I think I mostly break hair when detangling and am wondering if I could retain length if I processed it. Not interested in straight hair, but loosening up the curl 25-50% might help. Then I could still do a good braidout, which is my usual style.

I am digging through my old posts trying to get clues from my old routine as to how I can improve.

UmSumayyah

Why did it take you so long to relax? When I used to relax it took me 30 minutes max to apply and smooth.
Don't know. I suppose I am just awkward. I could never do my whole head in the proper time. Now that I haven't done it in years I wouldn't dare try to do my head all in one go.