Seeking advice for my transitioning/natural regimen

isawstars

I used to texlax my hair (apply mild relaxer to roots and wash out immediately after finishing). I haven't used any chemicals since May in 2011 and my texlaxed hair blends very well with my new growth. Sometimes I forget that I'm not completely natural yet.

Current Regi:

Apply AOHR to dry hair. Cover with shower cap a minimum of 2 hours.
Use shampoo bar or Hair One
Use whatever conditioner I need to use up (Say Yes To Carrots, Aussie 3 min)
Final rinse with COLD water
Section hair with butterfly clips
One section at a time: spritz with water, Darcy Botanical's Curl Styling Leave In, and Giovanni Direct Leave In (provides soft hold)
Detangle with Ouidad then twist
Air dry
=10-12 twists

Next day I wear a cute beanie covering my twists (I'm not comfortable wearing it out in public yet)
The day after I untwist, spritz front of hair/edges with water and DB's cocoa smoothing creme and style.
Twist out lasts 3-4 days and I repeat.

I've only used heat 1x since May 2011. That was in November.

Reason why I want to modify my regi

• I trim my ends every 2-3 months but they always look frizzy. Especially after sleeping on my twist out (I cover it with a scarf when I sleep)
  • When i try to moisturize my hair while it's a twist out, I just make it frizzier. My hair absorbs product best when I spritz it with water and apply the product but my twist out looks even frizzier although it feels moisturized. So I stopped moisturizing my ends on twist out days.
  • My scalp is always itchy. I wash my hair 2x a week due to itchies and it still doesn't help. I used Neutragena's Tgel for almost 2 months and the bottle says not to use it for a long time so I stopped. I now use Hair One for dry scalp...
  • I'm thinking about flat ironing my hair again so I can bun it and take care of my ends better but it's not worth it if I can't go longer than a week without washing due to itchies :(

I can post pictures tonight if needed. The photo in my avatar is really old. I need to update my fotki anyways...

hair4romheaven

I am unsure oif this will help butthis is what I did when I transitioned.
HID MY HAIR lol yup that's all I did.
I wore wigs and weaves so I sosn't have to worry about styling or blending two textures.
I wore my hair cornrows, washed in cornrows, as well as DCed. I left my cornrows in for at least a month before taking them down and doing it again.
When in weaves I did the same except I kept my weave in for about 2 months.
Whenever I took I took my hair down I noticed a huge difference in thickness and retention. I stayed away from heat and styling because it was a lot easier with my lifestyle and I also didn't want to deal with it.
My avi is one year post BC. I was at APL and was extremly pleased with my results.
HTH

loolalooh

isawstars

Reason why I want to modify my regi

• I trim my ends every 2-3 months but they always look frizzy. Especially after sleeping on my twist out (I cover it with a scarf when I sleep)

• Option 1:How about re-twisting nightly (tedious, I know, but some people do it)?

Option 2: Put perm rods on the ends of your twists on the first day. Then when you have the twistout, your ends are smooth from the perm rods and may not frizz as much after sleeping.

[*]When i try to moisturize my hair while it's a twist out, I just make it frizzier. My hair absorbs product best when I spritz it with water and apply the product but my twist out looks even frizzier although it feels moisturized. So I stopped moisturizing my ends on twist out days.

Is your hair okay with not being moisturized on twistout days. If so, I see no need to moisturize it then. If not, then re-twisting is the way to go. Moisturize prior to re-twisting.

[*]My scalp is always itchy. I wash my hair 2x a week due to itchies and it still doesn't help. I used Neutragena's Tgel for almost 2 months and the bottle says not to use it for a long time so I stopped. I now use Hair One for dry scalp...

How is the Hair One working for your scalp? Still itchy? Shampoos with sulfates can cause itchiness, so Hair One might be fine for you. Another option is go for a more natural shampoo (i.e., no chemicals). If the itchies are really bad, though, you might want to see a dermatologist.

isawstars

loolalooh

isawstars

Option 1:How about re-twisting nightly (tedious, I know, but some people do it)?

I've never tried retwisting! I will try it to help with my moisture... it won't be too much manipulation though... will it? My hair starts to feel stiff and dry by day 3 of my twist out so I guess I can try retwisting every 2nd day.

How is the Hair One working for your scalp? Still itchy? Shampoos with sulfates can cause itchiness, so Hair One might be fine for you. Another option is go for a more natural shampoo (i.e., no chemicals). If the itchies are really bad, though, you might want to see a dermatologist.

I've only used it twice. It soothes my scalp but I still get the itchies. I recently stopped using the dryer to try to help with it too because I thought that was the culprit but obviously not :sad:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
isawstars How is your water intake? Are you adding anything to your scalp? Maybe you can try using an oil after washing to help fight the itchies.

loolalooh

loolalooh

I've never tried retwisting! I will try it to help with my moisture... it won't be too much manipulation though... will it? My hair starts to feel stiff and dry by day 3 of my twist out so I guess I can try retwisting every 2nd day.

It shouldn't be too much manipulation, but monitor your hair. If you notice breakage with the retwisting, then try the other option.

Cherokee-n-Black

Honestly, I co-washed in between washes every 1 - 2 days. Also, I second the suggestion of a perm rod (or in my case small roller) on your ends to create a smooth curl. since you are texlaxed, the curl will uncurl into your texlaxed pattern. I would also add a hot oil treatment to your reggie--in particular the ends.

SmilingElephant

Have you tried doing a clarifying shampoo? That helped me while transitioning with the frizzy ends....i clarified every 2-4 weeks:yep:

I also used satin rollers on the ends of my braids every night for braid outs and braidout ponytails. Also...i think you said this already...but make sure you moisturize and seal your ends very often...and keep treating your hair as if it is already natural.:)

I will say this...i don't know when you plan to Big Chop but make sure you have a severely moisturizing deep conditioner on hand when you do:yep:...my hair was SUPER dry and i did a lot of overnight deep conditioning to get my moisture up.

silenttullip

For your itchies I say try giovanni triple treat shampoo and conditioner. also lay off on giovanni's leave in because it may be making your scalp itch I can only use it lightly in the summer because it makes my scalp itch even though I only put it on my hair. Also see a dermatologist about your scalp to be safe but be leary of the crap they may prescribe like nizoral if you use it invest in a good deep conditioner.
Also oil rinsing for the frizziness and scalp. Massages with coconut oil help too One more thing, grab a shower filter and see if it helps with itching it was the best choice I've ever made.

isawstars

It shouldn't be too much manipulation, but monitor your hair. If you notice breakage with the retwisting, then try the other option.

loolalooh So I tried the retwisting and it seemed to work out fine. The only thing is that my ends would stick together. So I'd have to pull it apart like a wishbone when I'd untwist them. Can that cause breakage?

isawstars

Have you tried doing a clarifying shampoo? That helped me while transitioning with the frizzy ends....i clarified every 2-4 weeks:yep:

I also used satin rollers on the ends of my braids every night for braid outs and braidout ponytails. Also...i think you said this already...but make sure you moisturize and seal your ends very often...and keep treating your hair as if it is already natural.:)

I will say this...i don't know when you plan to Big Chop but make sure you have a severely moisturizing deep conditioner on hand when you do:yep:...my hair was SUPER dry and i did a lot of overnight deep conditioning to get my moisture up.

SmilingElephant Yes I clarify once a month with suave daily clarifying shampoo. I tend to get white residue on my scalp after a few weeks and that seems to help with that problem.

What kind of deep conditioner did you use? I've already done a "mini chop." I think I have about 4-6 inches of texlaxed hair left. I really think that my hair should be more moisturized than it really is. I'm afraid of doing an overnight deep conditioning treatment because conditioner makes my scalp itchy after a few hours. Or maybe I should just suck it up...

alive

i agree with loolalooh. try retwisting at night if that doesn't help, you might want to check the pH balance of your hair. sometimes if the pH off products are off, they throw off the pH of the hair as well. the most noticeable sign that this is happening is...guess? fuzzy ends!

When i had this issue, i tried kimmaytubes leave in and voila. smooth ends :yep:

loolalooh

loolalooh So I tried the retwisting and it seemed to work out fine. The only thing is that my ends would stick together. So I'd have to pull it apart like a wishbone when I'd untwist them. Can that cause breakage?

Hmm, "like a wishbone" doesn't sound good to me. How about twisting up to a point and perm rodding the ends? Also, though your products seem fine at first glance, you may want to check the pH like alive suggested.

SmilingElephant

SmilingElephant Yes I clarify once a month with suave daily clarifying shampoo. I tend to get white residue on my scalp after a few weeks and that seems to help with that problem.

What kind of deep conditioner did you use? I've already done a "mini chop." I think I have about 4-6 inches of texlaxed hair left. I really think that my hair should be more moisturized than it really is. I'm afraid of doing an overnight deep conditioning treatment because conditioner makes my scalp itchy after a few hours. Or maybe I should just suck it up...

I remember using ORS Replenishing Conditioner, Lustrasilks was also a favorite(the mango & Shea butter one). I also used Domnican deep conditioners like Silicon Mix, Crece Pelo, La Bomba(this one smelled yucky but moisturized like crazy!!:yep:) I hope you find something that works out! :hug2:

southerncitygirl

ao hsr is fine for a dc you don't have to buy anything extra.....for moisture and protein i would alternate with ao gbp. what do you use to moisturize? maybe a heavy cream followed by oil or a butter followed by oil ( moisturize-seal) several times a week. ditch the giovanni leave in cause you already use the darcy's one.....layer with a gel like the clear fantasia ic gel with sparklites (clear), i don't get crunchies ( nice hold too) and i use darcy's leave-in underneath. i mix 1tbsp oil in my gel as well ( olive, evco, or a combo). i never retwist my hair and smooch it under a bonnet. i use perm rods on my ends and wrap them around 2-3 times with end papers on the rods.