Seems Like Aubrey Organics Changed The Ingredients

CityGirlLuv

This is from an Amazon.com review from a customer on March 16, 2012:

This review is from: Aubrey Organics - Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, 11 fl oz liquid (Misc.)
THIS PRODUCT IS NOW GARBAGE!! Aubrey's death was very unfortunate because I'm sure he is turning in his grave if he knew how his children have completely and utterly disgraced his product line with garbage ingredients. Two nights ago I did my usually and purchased the Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner from my local Whole Foods. I was using the product as usual that night and as I was working it through my hair I noticed a major difference in how the product felt and how it was affecting my hair. THe reason I have so loved the Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner was because it was the only conditioner among many that I have tried that left my hair feeling, moisturized, bouncy, curly, smooth and overall rejuvenated. I immediately noticed a difference when I was using this new bottle on my hair. Something in my mind told me to pick up my old bottle that I had in the shower and the new bottle I had just purchased. THe bottles looked the same but the ingredients and labeling are radically different. THe old bottle says 100%Natural No Parabens or Petrochemicals while the new bottle only says All Natural ingredients. The old bottle has the rolling ingredients:

Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Organic Aloe Vera, Organic Shea Butter, Wheat Germ Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Rosa Mosqueta® Rose Hip Seed Oil; Extracts of Fennel, Hops, Balm Mint, Mistletoe, Camomile, Yarrow, Chrysanthemum, Angelica, Forsythia and Magnolia; Honeysuckle Oil, Carrot Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E).

THe new bottle has these ingredients:
Aqua, cetyl alcohol, alcohol denat. (38b, lavender*), butyrospermum parkii (shea butter)*, triticum vulgare (wheat) germ oil, lonicera caprifolium (honeysuckle) extract, aloe barbadensis (aloe) leaf juice*, glycerin, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil*, rosa rubignosa (Rosa Mosqueta®) seed oil*, citrus grandis (grapefruit) extract, tocopheryl acetate, foeniculum vulgare (fennel) fruit extract, humulus lupulus (hops) extract, melissa officinalis (balm mint) leaf extract, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) root extract, beta-carotene, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) water, angelica archangelica extract, chrysanthemum sinense flower extract, magnolia biondii flower extract, ascorbic acid. *Organic

THis is a total change in formula and a HUGE change in the effectiveness of the product. I am incredibly disappointed that Aubrey has decided to reduce their product to such garbage(and still charge the same price) and drag the Aubrey name in the dirt. Aubrey Organics has long been known for selling pure and natural products and have now reduced themselves to insulting its consumers and long time supporters of the brand name by selling low quality products for the same price. I am willing to pay good money for quality products but I cannot stress enough how much it infuriates me to have to pay a high price for poisoning, unnatural, garbage ingredients. THe old formula did great things for my hair and in my line of work I have recommended it to many customers who have asked me what is the best conditioner based on their hair type and I have always steered them toward Aubrey knowing that I was recommending a great product. Now it embarrasses me to know that I may have led people to buy what I thought was a great product but what I now know is new garbage. It makes me look like a liar and I'm offended that Aubrey would change their formula to something so cheap and not inform their customers. I hope the people at Aubrey take note and that other users of the brand speak out against this new horrible change and low standard of products from Aubrey.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
The formula hasn't changed; they are now listing the ingredients of their coconut fatty acid base and preservative as the EU bottles have stated for some time. :)

CityGirlLuv

Ahh okay! Well thank you for that. I was kinda upset for a minute in thinking they made a huge change with the formula.

CurlsBazillion

Dang!!! I didn't even get to try the old formula :( They made a totally different conditioner, why not just discontinue honeysuckle rose and call it something else. It's not right.

ETA: Just saw post #2 and glad to hear I can still try the original formula....but uh, whats up with the lady's long angry review?:perplexed

Last edited:

NappyNelle

CityGirlLuv A thread was made a few months ago about it and I was sooo mad. The next day, I called their customer service line. LOL Then some ladies abroad posted that their bottles always had the second ingredients; companies have to disclose all ingredients used in the EU. You know the LHCFBI would've started a riot if they had changed the ingredients on the sly!

CurlsBazillion You still have time to try it! I have bottles with the old and new ingredient labels, and thankfully, it is the same product.

CityGirlLuv

NappyNelle Thank you for the knowledge on that. I was getting pissed off for a minute thinking my favorite conditioner would no longer be my favorite. I feel okay now knowing it's basically the same, just thorough.

LightEyedMami

Thank freakin goodness, my heart literally just dropped!!!...LOL...without AOHSR my hair would die a slow and painful death :lol:

Noir

About time they disclosed the full ingredient list smh. A couple of years ago, I posted a link to the warning letters government officials had sent AO, re.their deceptive labeling of products -- They have been warned and fined numerous times throughout the years.

You will start seeing this with a lot of companies soon due to the recent Cosmetic Safety Amendments Act and Cosmetics Safety Enhancement Act of 2012. Along with the new cosmetics legislation that is expected to be adopted into law this month.

Anyways long story short -- it is the same formula.

Honi

There is no board.
Good to know but how do u explain the difference in performance? Does anyone notice a difference? That's what's important.

30something

I used both new and old, I can't say I notice a difference. Their (HSR + GPB) conditioners are still superior to most if not all other conditioners I have tried over the years.

southerncitygirl

NappyNelle

i was just about to come in and say the same thing. the product has still continued to work the same for me. the coconut fatty base does contain alcohol. still the bomb.com for me and i'll keep using it!

Anakinsmomma

Honi said:
Good to know but how do u explain the difference in performance? Does anyone notice a difference? That's what's important.

Maybe the reviewer needed to clarify? I mean if my hair has buildup AOHSR is not gonna work right; no conditioner is.

NappyNelle

@NappyNelle Good to know because I had plan on buying the WC, GPB, and HSR in two weeks. btw do you leave HSR in your hair?

CurlsBazillion Usually I wash all of the HSR out, but sometimes I leave a tiny bit in if I won't be twisting my hair.

Honi That confused me, too. I have no idea why that reviewer had a performance issue. She may have needed to clarify, but that was weird. :spinning: My hair is still responding well to the conditioners.

wednesday

Thank God for this thread, i was so upset when i bought the GBP conditioner from wholefoods the other day and realized the ingredients were different when i got home (i'd lost the receipt, or i would have taken it back). Well i actually picked up the gbp lavender and ylang ylang (don't know how different it will be from the original) i hate to waste money!

southerncitygirl

My Friend

the name of the company is still aubrey's organics. the organics being on the bottle wasn't relagated to the product but is a part of the company name. they have claimed to be a natural product. i never though the organic part was false advertising cause its natural. there was never any logo verifying that it was certified organic by a 3rd party. most of these natural hair companies were making these products before these regulations existed. i know its not 100% natural but technically few products in any health food store are and we would have to make our own stuff without preservatives. most people don't even realize that 3rd party organic certification is very expensive and only recently started being applied to makeup/hair/skin/bodycare.

NappyNelle

My Friend And because of all the reasons southerncitygirl stated, more hair, skin and body care brands are calling themselves "_________ Botanicals" to advertise the mainly natural ingredients of their products without regulatory backlash.

myronnie

I purchased 3 bottles of Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose from vitacost..I used AO 4 years ago and loved the consistency and the thickness. I did not even check the new ingredients but noticed a HUGE change in the consistency of the conditioner when I squeezed it out the bottle. It seems less coconutty and is still moisturizing but not the same.. :look: