Self installed box braids, first attempt!

Afrobuttafly

So, I've been wanting some box braids for a long time and I finally mustered up the courage to try and do them myself.

The hair I used is Bijoux Yaki in 1B. It was .79 a pack and I used 6.5 packs.

Back

Side

Ends

Front

Not bad for a first try IMO. :yep:
I will keep practicing and trying to master different techniques to attach them. I could not get the split in two and fold over to make 3 strands thing down for the life of me. I watched many youtube videos before I finally just decided to use my hair as the 3rd strand and grab tightly and start braiding. I did have some loosen and I had to redo them. That was frustrating.

I set the ends on flexi rods and dipped them in boiling hot water to seal/curl the ends. I received some compliments. :grin: After I master these I will move on to kinky, sengalese and marley twists.

LHCF what say you?

Last edited:

Bluetopia

yeah. the pics are currently invisible. i was actually thinking of buying that hair so curious to see how it turned out.

Afrobuttafly

ER.. I dunno why yall can't see them. I see them just fine. :(

Hmm...I will re upload them after adding them to my lhcf album. BRB.

Nonie

I say congratulations!!!! They're beautiful and way longer than I have the patience to do them. Very well done indeed!

Afrobuttafly

I see them and they look great, I wish I could do my own braids

Why can't you? I couldn't either until a few days ago. With a little patience and the help of visuals via Youtube look what I did. And it was cheap! If I get them done by someone else they'd run anywhere from 65-100+ dollars. Mine are far from perfect, but they are decent enough to wear out, lol. With time and practice my skills will improve, but I had to make that first step and try to even get this far. You CAN do anything if you really want to. :yep:

Natty_Virgo

Why can't you? I couldn't either until a few days ago. With a little patience and the help of visuals via Youtube look what I did. And it was cheap! If I get them done by someone else they'd run anywhere from 65-100+ dollars. Mine are far from perfect, but they are decent enough to wear out, lol. With time and practice my skills will improve, but I had to make that first step and try to even get this far. You CAN do anything if you really want to. :yep:

I tried and that first braid looked a hot a$$ mess. Maybe I will try again someday. :)

ezina

I'm always in awe at people who do their own braids; even more so for those whose attempt was their first. Congrats, OP! I'm very impressed!

Nubenap22

I absolutely love braids! I have them in now bc final exams are coming up and I need not be worrying about my hair besides oiling and moisturizing and keep it moving.

I need to learn how to do my own braids so I can redo my edges on my own....but you will probably never catch me do my own full head

HATS OFF TO YOU THEN LOOK GOOD!!

Sammie7

Great job they look awesome! Positive aspect of doing it yourself is that you don't have to ask anyone to stop raking a fine tooth comb through your hair, or trying to braid your edges into oblivion. :lol: You did very good for your first attempt. I have no patience for braiding my own hair, especially since I wouldn't be able to keep it in long. This set looks really good, and I'm sure you will just get better and better with practice. :yep:

AyannaDivine

Wow your braids look fantastic! I tried doing my own kinky twists one time, they came out looking like dreads EPIC FAIL