Self-Relax Support Thread

MuslimahTresses

That was really nice of you to put this together. I just have to ask, where can I find out about the different strengths of relaxers. Like mild, regular, or super. Is there a thread that talks about how to figure out which one is best for you hair?

LJewel

This post came right on time! I am scheduled to relax tonight - my last relaxer was July 28, 2007.

THANK YOU!:grin:

Amarech

Wow Thank you for this sticky!!! I'll be consulting and studying it for the next week. I'll be giving myself a touch up in a week so this is very invaluable information........

2grlsandme

I love this thread. This thread answered my question I was looking for, which is what to do the next wash after a relaxer.

Thanks!:grin:

This is my question too!!:perplexed I havent relaxed in so long ...now that I've done it I don't know what to do. How long do I have to wait to start co washing again? I just relaxed yesterday. Should I DC again ith just moisturizing cond. or what? Someone HELP!!!!

AllAboutTheHair

I think the type or strength of the relaxer you use depends not on your hair texture (4a, 4z, 3b) but the density or thickness of your strands, very fine hair, whether it be nappy or straight would need a mild. Medium thickness strands would need a normal and super thick strands would need a super. To determine thickness of hair strands compare to thread, normal is the same as thread. Thick is larger than thread and fine would be thinner than thread. Most AA have fine hair, just a lot of it, HTH. :)

Lady Esquire

This is my question too!!:perplexed I havent relaxed in so long ...now that I've done it I don't know what to do. How long do I have to wait to start co washing again? I just relaxed yesterday. Should I DC again ith just moisturizing cond. or what? Someone HELP!!!!

This question is apart of the thread.
I cut and pasted it for you. I hope it answers some of your questions.

What to do a week Before and week After a relaxer:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=153311&highlight=relaxers

A week After a relaxer:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84682&highlight=self-relax

Clarifying week Before relaxer:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=153243&highlight=relaxers

No Hardcore Protein for 2 Weeks After Lye Relaxer:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=13648&highlight=neutralizer

Aussie

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy LHCF!!! havent been here in a while.... i was jus checkin on some of u. alot of improvement since the last time i visited in October. but on a hair note... i jus self relaxed my hair 2 weeks ago and i am sohappy with the results... im transitionin to texlaxed and my hair is gettin fuller already. will have pix up realllllll soon. :grin:

Lady Esquire

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy LHCF!!! havent been here in a while.... i was jus checkin on some of u. alot of improvement since the last time i visited in October. but on a hair note... i jus self relaxed my hair 2 weeks ago and i am sohappy with the results... im transitionin to texlaxed and my hair is gettin fuller already. will have pix up realllllll soon. :grin:

Heyyyyyyy Aussie! Glad you had a positive self-relaxing experience. Great feeling to be able to do this yourself, huh? Fuller hair?! Now, that's what's up! :grin:

You look so pretty in your siggy.

Aussie

Heyyyyyyy Aussie! Glad you had a positive self-relaxing experience. Great feeling to be able to do this yourself, huh? Fuller hair?! Now, that's what's up! :grin:

You look so pretty in your siggy.

thank u!!! i want my hair length to stop where ur longest strand is on ur back... thas is when i think ill stop stressin my hair to grow.

Mynne

Does anyone use the Jherri Redding 'One and Only' relaxer? I like it a lot. It is available at Sally's and online at Folica. www.Folica.com I use the color treated formula (black box with green writing)

Has anyone used the Rusk 3 relaxer?

I think the Jherri Redding One and Only, and the Rusk 3 are very similar? Do you or have you used them? Do you like them?

For me, they make my hair straighter, but not stick straight, and the effects last a long time. I've also noted that if I leave it in, for no longer than 10 minutes and shampoo/condition it out with a 2in1 like L'oreal 5x stronger 2in1 daily, my hair stays strong and they really work well. What do you think. I really like them and think they are excellent!

locabouthair

The first time I self relaxed my hair came out very underprocessed but I'm sure it's because I didn't smooth enough and I missed some sections.

I'm confident that next time I can do it properly. I plan on using an application brush and then smooth with the back of a rattail comb.

I'll tell you guys how it comes out!

Lady Esquire

The first time I self relaxed my hair came out very underprocessed but I'm sure it's because I didn't smooth enough and I missed some sections.

I'm confident that next time I can do it properly. I plan on using an application brush and then smooth with the back of a rattail comb.

I'll tell you guys how it comes out!

Let us know how it comes out. It takes practice, but once you get it, it is so worth it. Good Luck.

froggie08

Thanks so much for this thread. I just relaxed my hair today for the first since being a LHCF member...I am so excited. I read and re-read this thread so many times this past week it's sad. SistaSlick your articles were so informative. Again thanks so much:blowkiss:

Xavier

Great Thread!!!!!!!!!
I am going to attempt self relaxing one more time before I call it quits and go to the salon. I think I am going to try Lonie's half and half method because my hair is so thick and course which makes it hard for me to work fast.

msniq

How long after you relax do you wait to shampoo? I was going to relax today and I have an appointment with my stylist on Friday for a cut.
Should I just wait until then or do it today and let him wash it then?

thanks

Aggie

Great post, love all the links in this one. Makes it easy to access needed information when it's time to relax my hair. Thanks.

Lady Esquire

How long after you relax do you wait to shampoo? I was going to relax today and I have an appointment with my stylist on Friday for a cut.
Should I just wait until then or do it today and let him wash it then?

thanks

Are you referring to a neutralizing shampoo? If so, immediately after rinsing the relaxer out. Or after your quick protein, and then neutralize.

If you're referring to your next regular shampoo, a few days later is fine. I like to use a neutralizer and a regular moisturizing shampoo the day of the relaxer and the day of my next wash.

lurkersincejan

Im am going to relax my hair next week, on my next wash day. I am due for a wash tomorrow so i'll will be using my aphogee treatment for damaged hair tomorrow.I wanted to know i know some of you have mentioned doing the mid protein treatment but i dont have the 2 min repair, (i dont plan on buying any other products for a couple weeks) can I use my NTM conditoner instead or would it just be pointless? If I have anymore I'll do a clarifying wash tomorrow, i just wanted to know about the conditioner, would it help at all or should I just got straight for the neutralizing shampoo. Thanks in advance!

Lady Esquire

Im am going to relax my hair next week, on my next wash day. I am due for a wash tomorrow so i'll will be using my aphogee treatment for damaged hair tomorrow.I wanted to know i know some of you have mentioned doing the mid protein treatment but i dont have the 2 min repair, (i dont plan on buying any other products for a couple weeks) can I use my NTM conditoner instead or would it just be pointless? If I have anymore I'll do a clarifying wash tomorrow, i just wanted to know about the conditioner, would it help at all or should I just got straight for the neutralizing shampoo. Thanks in advance!

The mid-protein treatment is optional. If you choose to do it, use a mild protein conditioning treatment. In SistaSlick's article, http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...safely_applying_chemical_relaxers.html?page=3 , she suggests the following:
* Aphogee 2 Min Keratin,
* Motions CPR,
* ORS Replenishing Pacs.

To answer your question better, I am not sure if the NTM you are inquiring about is a mild protein. If it is, then go for it. If not, then try to pick up (at the very least) the ORS Rep Pacs, which are only about a buck or two at any BSS, pharmacy, or even at some grocery stores.

If you have no mild protein conditioners around, then remember, this step is optional. You can always do it next relaxer.

MisTatim

After some research i have figured out the problem w/ my hair is it's over processed - to the extreme. There is a problem when the hair stylists just leaves it in till it burns.

So I stretched to 3 months and applied my own. I took the clip advice and was pleased. It actually made it a helluva lot easier to apply. I went thru it w/ a wide tooth comb. I didn't remove the clips till i was ready to rinse.

I'm hoping to become so efficient I will be able to go faster I think it too me 30-35 min which is too much. I used Profective because it was premeasured and came w/ a pre and post conditioner. I also put porosity control on my already permed hair and applied vaseline to my scalp. I'd like to shorten my time to 20-25 min total because i want to UNDERprocess my hair. I'd like to leave some of the thickness. After the relaxer I applied Aphogee leave in conditioner and Profective leave in conditioner, oiled my scalp with hot six oil, hard rollered my hair and let it air dry.

i'm very pleased with the results and hope to see gain and healthier hair by fall. I will use megatek shampoo, leave in and reconstructor for in between maint. And since my air dry roller set came out so nice, I will not bother with heat on my hair.

Aggie

Okay ladies I just did my own relaxer on Monday past and I thought I'd post up the pic of what it looked like. Here it is:

My niece just complimented me on what a good job I did, YIPPEE!!!!

Rapunzel2B

Okay ladies I just did my own relaxer on Monday past and I thought I'd post up the pic of what it looked like. Here it is:

My niece just complimented me on what a good job I did, YIPPEE!!!!

Aggie,

This is beautiful, healthy and shiny. You did a wonderful job. I am self relaxing tomorrow and seeing this really makes me excited. I love watching your wonderful progress.

Aggie

Aggie,

This is beautiful, healthy and shiny. You did a wonderful job. I am self relaxing tomorrow and seeing this really makes me excited. I love watching your wonderful progress.

Thanks honey. Good luck on your relaxer efforts tomorrow.

Aggie

Aggie what was your self relaxing method ? Your hair looks good as usual

I parted my hair in four squares and pinned down each one. Then I relaxed one square at a time and pinned it down, then moved on to the next one. I always start at the top-center and work my way down the back. Once the 2 squares at the back are completed then I move to the front and repeat the same. I do not do any of my edges until last as it burns much too quickly.

I would then pull the relaxer through the new growth area 'only' with a rat tail comb for about a minute or two. I leave it on for the required time and wash out. I texlaxed my hair for 6 months and my hair didn't like it and I didn't like dealing with the different textures so I'm back to relaxing my hair fully and of course I did a corrective relaxer. I'm loving it this way.

By the way, I relax my hair using Sistaslick's articles on associatedcontents.com. I used Mizani regular lye relaxer and I think I want to switch to Mizani Butter Blend next time because of the fine nature of my hair strand. I understand it to be gentler on fine hair.

Last edited: