Self-Relax Support Thread

miami74

I parted my hair in four squares and pinned down each one. Then I relaxed one square at a time and pinned it down, then moved on to the next one. I always start at the top-center and work my way down the back. Once the 2 squares at the back are completed then I move to the front and repeat the same. I do not do any of my edges until last as it burns much too quickly.

I would then pull the relaxer through the new growth area 'only' with a rat tail comb for about a minute or two. I leave it on for the required time and wash out. I texlaxed my hair for 6 months and my hair didn't like it and I didn't like dealing with the different textures so I'm back to relaxing my hair fully and of course I did a corrective relaxer. I'm loving it this way.

By the way, I relax my hair using Sistaslick's articles on associatedcontents.com. I used Mizani regular lye relaxer and I think I want to switch to Mizani Butter Blend next time because of the fine nature of my hair strand. I understand it to be gentler on fine hair.

Aggie, is the Mizani Butter Blend still effective for thick, coarse 4b hair? For texlaxing?

Aggie

Aggie, is the Mizani Butter Blend still effective for thick, coarse 4b hair? For texlaxing?

I think this is the perfect relaxer if you want texlaxed hair. I want it for my fine hair which I don't want to be bone straight. The Mizani regular lye relaxer has my hair a little straighter than I actually want it to be so that the reason for wanting to change over to the Mizani Butter Blend relaxer system. I haven't used it yet but the results gotten by a few other ladies with fine hair has been really great.

I'm so sorry but I'm not quite sure how this will act on coarse hair.

miami74

I think this is the perfect relaxer if you want texlaxed hair. I want it for my fine hair which I don't want to be bone straight. The Mizani regular lye relaxer has my hair a little straighter than I actually want it to be so that the reason for wanting to change over to the Mizani Butter Blend relaxer system. I haven't used it yet but the results gotten by a few other ladies with fine hair has been really great.

I'm so sorry but I'm not quite sure how this will act on coarse hair.

Thanks Aggie. I am considering trying this relaxer when I self relax for my next touchup. It will be my first time self relaxing and switching from a no lye to a lye relaxer. I am torn between getting the mild/fine and the regular Mizani Butter Blend for my texlax. My scalp is super sensitive and my hair is very coarse, but I'm looking to underprocess any way.

Aggie

Thanks Aggie. I am considering trying this relaxer when I self relax for my next touchup. It will be my first time self relaxing and switching from a no lye to a lye relaxer. I am torn between getting the mild/fine and the regular Mizani Butter Blend for my texlax. My scalp is super sensitive and my hair is very coarse, but I'm looking to underprocess any way.

Miami, I really believe the mild will be too mild for coarse hair. I really feel that the regular strength would be suitable for texlaxing coarse hair.

miami74

Miami, I really believe the mild will be too mild for coarse hair. I really feel that the regular strength would be suitable for texlaxing coarse hair.

Yeah, I was beginning to think so too. I am going to purchase the regular strength. Thanks.

DivaD04

Okay I'm strongly thinking about relaxing again so with that said I have a question: is Mizani's butter blend relaxer a lye or no lye? It say's its a sodium hydroxide.

Aggie

Okay I'm strongly thinking about relaxing again so with that said I have a question: is Mizani's butter blend relaxer a lye or no lye? It say's its a sodium hydroxide.

It's a lye relaxer. I will be using this when I relax again. Some of the ladies who have used it says that it's a pretty mild relaxer so that means that I will be using the mizani regular strength butter blend relaxer to get a straight look. I believe the mild gives more of textured look. I want my hair straight but not bone straight and I think the regular strength is perfect for that.

DivaD04

It's a lye relaxer. I will be using this when I relax again. Some of the ladies who have used it says that it's a pretty mild relaxer so that means that I will be using the mizani regular strength butter blend relaxer to get a straight look. I believe the mild gives more of textured look. I want my hair straight but not bone straight and I think the regular strength is perfect for that.

thx aggie, im opting for this too...i'm looking at some of it's other products lik the moisturefuse co as well. i'm so looking forward to relax again.
btw i'll be back to dc'n again soon. i've just been so tired lately, girl i'll eat and the next thing i know i'm out for the count....lol

miami74

Aggie, what site do you go to when you purchase your mizani products?

Aggie

thx aggie, im opting for this too...i'm looking at some of it's other products lik the moisturefuse co as well. i'm so looking forward to relax again.
btw i'll be back to dc'n again soon. i've just been so tired lately, girl i'll eat and the next thing i know i'm out for the count....lol

Whenever you're ready to start DCing again, you know where to find us, just don't take too long. Don't want to stunt your progress, now do you?

DivaD04

Whenever you're ready to start DCing again, you know where to find us, just don't take too long. Don't want to stunt your progress, now do you?

no ma'am! in 4 day's i'm going to buy my relaxer and when it comes that'll be my start up again. i need some dc medicine anyway.

Latomian

Hi, I'm a newbie! I just have to say that I LOVE this forum and it has given me a sense of freedom about taking care of my own hair that I've never felt. I'm about to self-relax (after years of going to the salon just to see no forward progress) because for over a year, my stylist has been overlapping with the relaxer and told me it was ok:nono:. I know better now. My stylist before that made my hair groooowww...until she started losing business and mixing relaxers!!! It fell out so much...
I am going to start a fotki and use better products (my hair really never got protein...and I don't drink water:shocked: enough). You guys are awesome.

Islandgurrl

I just wanted to say I permed my hair myself for the first time in months. I followed the advice some of the ladies gave. My hair came out PURRRRRRFECT!! :grin:. I am very pleased and will try my best to perm my hair on my own in future. This forum is a serious hair saver. I've learned so much from this forum. ~Thanks ladies.

PuffyBrown

I am going to teach myself to "self-relax"....how hard can it be? I am an Affirm user and I am getting ready to get the items that I will need.

Please confirm if I have all the "required" products for
a successful relaxer.

Affirm Conditioning Cream Relaxer
Affirm Normalizing Shampoo
Affirm Positive Link Conditioner
Affirm Gentle Assurance
Affirm Liquid Activator

?Affirm 5 & One Reconstructor - Do I really need this? I already have Joico KPak, and Nexxus Keraphix, I also have Nexxus Aloxxi that I can use a week after the relaxer....
Relaxer brush
RubberGloves

I am getting from here: http://www.irbysbeautysupply.com/Affirm.html

Aggie

I am going to teach myself to "self-relax"....how hard can it be? I am an Affirm user and I am getting ready to get the items that I will need.

Please confirm if I have all the "required" products for
a successful relaxer.

Affirm Conditioning Cream Relaxer
Affirm Normalizing Shampoo
Affirm Positive Link Conditioner
Affirm Gentle Assurance
Affirm Liquid Activator

?Affirm 5 & One Reconstructor - Do I really need this? I already have Joico KPak, and Nexxus Keraphix, I also have Nexxus Aloxxi that I can use a week after the relaxer....
Relaxer brush
RubberGloves

I am getting from here: http://www.irbysbeautysupply.com/Affirm.html

Anybody home?

I also need to know the cream to activator ratio for mixing the relaxer.....

Thanks Ladies....

Puffy I don't use no-lye relaxers so I couldn't exactly help you out too much on this. I do however know that the relaxer comes with enough activator for you to use the whole bottle of it in it. So there should not be any measuring involved and even if there is, your relaxer should have come with some kind of instruction manual. You just throw in the entire activator content into the relaxer and mix until very smooth.

I use lye relaxer which is wayyyy better for my hair that no-lye. No-lye sucks the moisture right out of my hair like a vacuum and leave it extremely dry and brittle. Then it broke and snapped constantly and finally I had to do a research on why my hair was looking so dull and lifeless, and voila, the culprit was the no-lye relaxers. Now my hair is so happy I switched to Lye relaxers. It's no longer dry, brittle, breaking and dull.

I currently use Design Essential Lye relaxer but when my 4lb tub is finished, I will be switching to Mizani Butter Blend regular strength relaxer and I can't wait. I really like the Design Essential but I can't seem to find it anymore:ohwell:. Mizani BB here I come.

Aggie

Oh by the way, Don't tell anyone but I don't use a glove to apply my relaxer anymore, too cumbersome for me, Shhhhh!!:grin:

PuffyBrown

Oh by the way, Don't tell anyone but I don't use a glove to apply my relaxer anymore, too cumbersome for me, Shhhhh!!:grin:

You're so funny.
So I can just completly mix the 4lb tub and then just take some out to relax and just keep the rest in a cool place...I guess...:perplexed

Thanks Aggie!:bighug:

Puffy I don't use no-lye relaxers so I couldn't exactly help you out too much on this. I do however know that the relaxer comes with enough activator for you to use the whole bottle of it in it. So there should not be any measuring involved and even if there is, your relaxer should have come with some kind of instruction manual. You just throw in the entire activator content into the relaxer and mix until very smooth.

I use lye relaxer which is wayyyy better for my hair that no-lye. No-lye sucks the moisture right out of my hair like a vacuum and leave it extremely dry and brittle. Then it broke and snapped constantly and finally I had to do a research on why my hair was looking so dull and lifeless, and voila, the culprit was the no-lye relaxers. Now my hair is so happy I switched to Lye relaxers. It's no longer dry, brittle, breaking and dull.

I currently use Design Essential Lye relaxer but when my 4lb tub is finished, I will be switching to Mizani Butter Blend regular strength relaxer and I can't wait. I really like the Design Essential but I can't seem to find it anymore:ohwell:. Mizani BB here I come.

Aggie

You're so funny.
So I can just completly mix the 4lb tub and then just take some out to relax and just keep the rest in a cool place...I guess...:perplexed

Thanks Aggie!:bighug:

Oh no no no no no. You can't mix an entire 4lb tub of relaxer with activator. It will not last more than a day even if left in the refridgerator. Does the relaxer come with instructions? Usually a 4 lb tub of relaxer is a LYE relaxer and does not need any activators. I am not sure what you actaully have so if you can post some pics (very close-up shots) of the relaxer container and entire set (ASAP) so I can see what it is you are using, that would help me to understand what you are using, okay?

PuffyBrown

I'm a newbie at this.....so I have no idea.
At the website everything is separated and you buy all of it individually. I know that when I went to my stylist that she actually mixed the product and it had to sit for awhile before it is put into your hair. That's why I was askin....I'll do some research and see what is on the website.

I pretty much selected everything that they sold so that I can be sure I have everything. I am not going to get the reconstructor because I think the reconstructors that I have will do the same thing. But I am getting everything else.

Oh no no no no no. You can't mix an entire 4lb tub of relaxer with activator. It will not last more than a day even if left in the refridgerator. Does the relaxer come with instructions? Usually a 4 lb tub of relaxer is a LYE relaxer and does not need any activators. I am not sure what you actaully have so if you can post some pics (very close-up shots) of the relaxer container and entire set (ASAP) so I can see what it is you are using, that would help me to understand what you are using, okay?

Aggie

I'm a newbie at this.....so I have no idea.
At the website everything is separated and you buy all of it individually. I know that when I went to my stylist that she actually mixed the product and it had to sit for awhile before it is put into your hair. That's why I was askin....I'll do some research and see what is on the website.

I pretty much selected everything that they sold so that I can be sure I have everything. I am not going to get the reconstructor because I think the reconstructors that I have will do the same thing. But I am getting everything else.

In any case, make sure to read all the instructions carefully before mixing anything, okay?

Extremus

Good luck sweetie, you can do it. Let us know how it turned out okay:grin:?

Definitely! And thanks! :grin:

Hope I can put a end to the over-processing, non-protecting previous relaxed hair, barely neutralizing, gas wasting stylist of mine :rolleyes:

Extremus

I did it! I did it! I did it! :yay: I've relaxed hair before, but never my own, so I know somewhat of how to relax hair.

on the left is the stylist and the right is my results

much thicker when I did it :)

not as silky as the stylist results and underprocessed some, but I'm okay with it

the front took well :grin:

I didn't use my usual Silk elements-lye instead I tried Revlon realistic lye
I thought I did good, I'm happy with the results :)

Last edited: