Self-Relax Support Thread

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I relaxed this morning after 17.5 weeks. Getting a pic was hard--it is my avatar. I still don't think it's that spectacular. It might be easier to check out my fotki. I'm mad about my ends. I won't trim until I reach my goal length. Besides I bun everyday. So here is what I did:

1. Based my scalp with coconut oil.
2. Sprayed my hair with saa but really concentrated on the new growth.
3. Mixed saa directly into the relaxer.
4. Oiled already relaxed hair with coconut oil
5. My hair was already sectioned into four with clips. I finger parted and applied relaxer (Mizani Sensitive Scalp) to new growth only. I know I did some overlapping just bc I'm not used to applying to new growth only. I will get better with practice.
6. Rinsed relaxer out
7. Did protein tx
8. Neutralized with Mizani Neutralizing & Chelating Poo
9. DC'd with Hairveda's Sitrinillah
10. Used Giovanni Direct Leave In
11. Used IC Fantasia Heat Protectant
12. Dried hair with blow dryer with comb attachment
13. Moisturized with Hairveda's Whipped Cream
14. Sealed with Hairveda's Cocasta Oil

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Okay since I'm used to using the entire container of relaxer I'm not sure what to do with this left over relaxer. I put it in the fridge. Good or bad idea?

Aggie

Okay since I'm used to using the entire container of relaxer I'm not sure what to do with this left over relaxer. I put it in the fridge. Good or bad idea?

Is it a lye or no-lye relaxer? If it's a no-lye relaxer, you need to chuck it after a day or two in the fridge, if it's a lye relaxer, then it's fine reven room temperature for at least 6 months or more. I have had my 1st 4lb tub of lye relaxer for a whole year and it was not even a tiny bit diminished in strength or smell. I kept it in a large plastic bin with a lot of other hair products. Needless to say, I went out and bought another 4lb tub of relaxer after realizing that it really does last a very long time.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I don't even know. Isn't that sad? I'm still learning. It is Mizani Sensitive Scalp. I have to mix with an activator. Does that help?

sqzbly1908

I don't even know. Isn't that sad? I'm still learning. It is Mizani Sensitive Scalp. I have to mix with an activator. Does that help?

Hi Shay - Yeah, that is a no-lye and you have to throw it away after using. Anytime you have to mix a relaxer with activator it is "no-lye"

HTH

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Hi Shay - Yeah, that is a no-lye and you have to throw it away after using. Anytime you have to mix a relaxer with activator it is "no-lye"

HTH

Yes Shay, sqzbly is right.

Thanks, Ladies! The good thing is I bought a 4 pack as opposed to one very large container. I will continue to purchase this way. I may switch to the Mizani Butter Blends Sensitive Scalp Relaxer after I finish this set.

yuriko

next time, try mixing only half of the relaxer with half of the activator. If you don't need to use all of it, mix it up in a separate cup, and save the left over for later. If the relaxer has not been mixed with activator, its ok to save it. I hope you get my meaning.

Lovelylocs

I've given up on self-relaxing. :( Stylists for me, until I learn how to do it from someone who I know can do a salon quality relaxer or better.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
next time, try mixing only half of the relaxer with half of the activator. If you don't need to use all of it, mix it up in a separate cup, and save the left over for later. If the relaxer has not been mixed with activator, its ok to save it. I hope you get my meaning.

Makes sense to me. This was my first time relaxing using healthy practices so I wasn't quite sure how much I needed. Also I had never stretched that long either. I will definitely do this next time.

Pocahonta_s

Hello ladies! I am new to the forum and would like a bit of advice: I did my first self-relaxer a week ago and it was a bit of a disaster... I used to go to a salon when i lived in Europe and now my sister usually does it for me, but i decided to take the plundge and do it myself. It had been a year since my last relaxer (with no-lye dark and lovely) and i decided to switch to lye.

I used Motions lye regular. The relaxer left my hair completely underprocessed, so i feel like i have wasted my time AND dumped harsh chemicals on my hair for no reason :(

The dark and lovely used to leave my hair very curly (not sure what my hair type is, but basically the relaxer made my hair slightly less bushy and more "curly" than "frizzy"). But I could straighten it rather easily with a flat iron. However i was hoping for a straighter result, as i do not want to keep using the flat iron! I am trying to learn to roller set but that is a whole other disaster in itself of course...

Anyway - the Motions relaxer has done next to nothing, even after a little frying session with the flat iron my roots are still curly.

I left the relaxer for the required time (scared to overprocess), but i had oil in my hair. Maybe the oil stopped the relaxer from working? Or do you think my hair should be considered "coarse" and I should use super strength? I also use a rinse to make my hair darker so i am just scared of ruining my hair with self-inflicted harsh treatment. Plus.. I live in Australia so i cannot go to a salon and ask questions.

If anyone had some insights i would be most grateful :)

Last edited:

PinkPebbles

My Mizani Butter Blend Relaxer System came in the mail today:grin:. I'm so excited but a little nervous....I haven't relaxed my own hair in a looooonnng time. At the end of this month I'm going to give myself a touch-up....

I decided to take matters into my own hands because I can no longer use the relaxer that my stylist has been using and I no longer want the nape of my hair relaxed at every touch-up. It's a different texture which stylists seems to have a hard time understanding.

Aggie

My Mizani Butter Blend Relaxer System came in the mail today:grin:. I'm so excited but a little nervous....I haven't relaxed my own hair in a looooonnng time. At the end of this month I'm going to give myself a touch-up....

I decided to take matters into my own hands because I can no longer use the relaxer that my stylist has been using and I no longer want the nape of my hair relaxed at every touch-up. It's a different texture which stylists seems to have a hard time understanding.

Good luck PinkPebbles and let us know how it turned out, okay?

SCarolinaGirl

I am also taking the plunge and self-relaxing with Silk Elements Lye tomorrow. I've incorrectly self-relaxed many times with boxed perms (from root to tip). So this will be a change. I'm a little nervous because I've never used a lye relaxer but I've done tons of research. So my plan is this...

Base my scalp with vaseline
coat ends with coconut oil
apply relaxer (mixed with 2 tbsps of coconut oil)
use aphogee 2 min reconstructor for only 2 mins
use Silk Elements neutralizing poo (leave in for 5 mins)
DC for 1 hour with mix of GVP conditioning balm, coconut oil and shea butter cholesterol

Sound ok?

Aggie

I am also taking the plunge and self-relaxing with Silk Elements Lye tomorrow. I've incorrectly self-relaxed many times with boxed perms (from root to tip). So this will be a change. I'm a little nervous because I've never used a lye relaxer but I've done tons of research. So my plan is this...

Base my scalp with vaseline
coat ends with coconut oil
apply relaxer (mixed with 2 tbsps of coconut oil)
use aphogee 2 min reconstructor for only 2 mins
use Silk Elements neutralizing poo (leave in for 5 mins)
DC for 1 hour with mix of GVP conditioning balm, coconut oil and shea butter cholesterol

Sound ok?
Sounds fine to me.

SCarolinaGirl

Here are my results from the Silk Elements lye. I had no burning and I think it came out pretty well. I will definitely use this again!

Ivonnovi

My suggestion would be to wait 2 weeks before trying this again. In the mean while do several DCs/Protien treatments to beef up the hairs health. AND try to make sure you have less oil in your hair before you try to relax it again. For now I'd stay away from the Super strenght; as it sounds like "texlaxing" is the desired result you want. IHOTH

Hello ladies! I am new to the forum and would like a bit of advice: I did my first self-relaxer a week ago and it was a bit of a disaster... I used to go to a salon when i lived in Europe and now my sister usually does it for me, but i decided to take the plundge and do it myself. It had been a year since my last relaxer (with no-lye dark and lovely) and i decided to switch to lye.

I used Motions lye regular. The relaxer left my hair completely underprocessed, so i feel like i have wasted my time AND dumped harsh chemicals on my hair for no reason :(

The dark and lovely used to leave my hair very curly (not sure what my hair type is, but basically the relaxer made my hair slightly less bushy and more "curly" than "frizzy"). But I could straighten it rather easily with a flat iron. However i was hoping for a straighter result, as i do not want to stop using the flat iron! I am trying to learn to roller set but that is a whole other disaster in itself of course...

Anyway - the Motions relaxer has done next to nothing, even after a little frying session with the flat iron my roots are still curly.

I left the relaxer for the required time (scared to overprocess), but i had oil in my hair. Maybe the oil stopped the relaxer from working? Or do you think my hair should be considered "coarse" and I should use super strength? I also use a rinse to make my hair darker so i am just scared of ruining my hair with self-inflicted harsh treatment. Plus.. I live in Australia so i cannot go to a salon and ask questions.

If anyone had some insights i would be most grateful :)

Pocahonta_s

Thanks yorlooksmybiz. It has been almost 3 weeks now but i am going to wait one more week just to be sure (truth is, i am just scared to try again lol).

Just looking at my post, i realised i cant type properly: when i wrote that i wanted to keep using the flat iron, i actually meant to say that i want to steer well clear of it, so i do want my hair straight rather than texlaxed. But i will do a strand test this time, to estimate processing time properly. Will post photos when i finally do it!

LushLox

How are you guys getting on with this. I really think I'm going to try this for my next touch up. I'm not doing it for a few months so I've got plenty of time to read up and educate myself thoroughly.

ShiShiPooPoo

I am going to switch to Phyto for my next relaxer at the end of this month. It is ok to switch from lye to this particular no lye relaxer right?

Aggie

I am going to switch to Phyto for my next relaxer at the end of this month. It is ok to switch from lye to this particular no lye relaxer right?

Just as a caution SSPP, you might experience some mild breakage from doing this. I did the reverse and I experienced some breakage from the switch from no lye to lye, so be careful with this.

Aggie

How are you guys getting on with this. I really think I'm going to try this for my next touch up. I'm not doing it for a few months so I've got plenty of time to read up and educate myself thoroughly.

I'd really start stalking some fotkis if I were you Cream Tee:grin:. I think LondonDiva has a great tutorial among a few others.