Self-Relax Support Thread

Lady Esquire

Hello ladies! I am new to the forum and would like a bit of advice: I did my first self-relaxer a week ago and it was a bit of a disaster... I used to go to a salon when i lived in Europe and now my sister usually does it for me, but i decided to take the plundge and do it myself. It had been a year since my last relaxer (with no-lye dark and lovely) and i decided to switch to lye.

I used Motions lye regular. The relaxer left my hair completely underprocessed, so i feel like i have wasted my time AND dumped harsh chemicals on my hair for no reason :(

The dark and lovely used to leave my hair very curly (not sure what my hair type is, but basically the relaxer made my hair slightly less bushy and more "curly" than "frizzy"). But I could straighten it rather easily with a flat iron. However i was hoping for a straighter result, as i do not want to keep using the flat iron! I am trying to learn to roller set but that is a whole other disaster in itself of course...

Anyway - the Motions relaxer has done next to nothing, even after a little frying session with the flat iron my roots are still curly.

I left the relaxer for the required time (scared to overprocess), but i had oil in my hair. Maybe the oil stopped the relaxer from working? Or do you think my hair should be considered "coarse" and I should use super strength? I also use a rinse to make my hair darker so i am just scared of ruining my hair with self-inflicted harsh treatment. Plus.. I live in Australia so i cannot go to a salon and ask questions.

If anyone had some insights i would be most grateful :)

Additives such as oil and conditioner will lengthen the processing time. I would do some regular treatments (at least once a week) with protein and moisture. And in another 6-8 weeks do a corrective relaxer.

Remember to apply the relaxer as you normally would to your new growth. But with a corrective relaxer, also go back and apply the relaxer to areas that were underprocessed for the amount of time you think you missed last time. So use your judgment. In other words, if you think you could have used another 5 minutes, due to the extra oil, then leave the relaxer on the underprocessed portions for that amount of time.

locabouthair

If you are thinking about self relaxing get a shampoo hose from the BSS for like $4. It helped me rinse out the relaxer better.

Ms_Twana

Okay ladies. In about 3 weeks I am going to self texlax for the first time. I haven't relaxed my own hair in over 10 years. I am EXTREMELY nervous about it. So, I'm trying to determine if I should do it myself, or just go to a stylist.

How nervous were you when you did your first relaxer???

locabouthair

Okay ladies. In about 3 weeks I am going to self texlax for the first time. I haven't relaxed my own hair in over 10 years. I am EXTREMELY nervous about it. So, I'm trying to determine if I should do it myself, or just go to a stylist.

Honestly every time I do I'm a little nervous.

My first time self relaxing, it didnt even look like a relaxer touched my hair. I tried to do my whole head at once, which I cannot do. I do one section one day and the other half 4 or 5 days later. Might be tedious to some but I'm not skilled like that yet. Oh and I didnt put enough relaxer on the first time, that causes me to become underprocessed too. And you have to work FAST.

Make sure you protect the processed hair with oil and/or conditioner. And rinse, rinse, rinse. Get a shampoo hose from the BSS, unless you have a shower hose. That will help with the rinsing. I tried rinsing in the shower, didnt rinse it out well and got breakage.

Good luck!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

Girl, I was so Scared!:eek: I was probably Shaking.:lachen:

I had Neva' Eva' Done my Own Hair at all. Period. No Washing. No Nothing. Always Salon.

Thank God for Denise11, Tiffers & Cream Tee during My First "Attempt" They Talked me through my Nervousness and Cheered Me On.:meme:

I underprocessed the first 2 times because of "Nerves" but by the 3rd time, I just got better and better and my Nervousness Ended.

We are Here for You! You Can Do it!:hug2:

Ms_Twana

Okay. I have been debating whether or not to self texlax, or go to a stylist. Well, I decided to go ahead and practice today with some Motions CPR. That way, if I go to a stylist next week, I'll already have the protein step knocked out.

WOW....where do I start. Ummmmmm...it took me almost 18 minutes on the FIRST HALF. I used a comb, and it kept getting caught in my hair. Every time I tried to part the next section, my ends were tangled. (I put some condition on my hair to easily detect where my demarcation line was, so my ends were sticking together.) AND I was overlapping. Boy am I glad I practiced. I'll be making an appointment for my old stylist. :ohwell: :look:

Lady Esquire

Okay. I have been debating whether or not to self texlax, or go to a stylist. Well, I decided to go ahead and practice today with some Motions CPR. That way, if I go to a stylist next week, I'll already have the protein step knocked out.

WOW....where do I start. Ummmmmm...it took me almost 18 minutes on the FIRST HALF. I used a comb, and it kept getting caught in my hair. Every time I tried to part the next section, my ends were tangled. (I put some condition on my hair to easily detect where my demarcation line was, so my ends were sticking together.) AND I was overlapping. Boy am I glad I practiced. I'll be making an appointment for my old stylist. :ohwell: :look:
Yeah, I completely relate to your post...every word. I have gone over my allotted time, underprocessed, missed spots, etc.... It is definitely a skill that needs practicing. You're smart to go to a stylist if you're apprehensive.

Oh and by the way, your hair in the siggy is :love:

Honestly every time I do I'm a little nervous.

My first time self relaxing, it didnt even look like a relaxer touched my hair. I tried to do my whole head at once, which I cannot do. I do one section one day and the other half 4 or 5 days later. Might be tedious to some but I'm not skilled like that yet. Oh and I didnt put enough relaxer on the first time, that causes me to become underprocessed too. And you have to work FAST.

Make sure you protect the processed hair with oil and/or conditioner. And rinse, rinse, rinse. Get a shampoo hose from the BSS, unless you have a shower hose. That will help with the rinsing. I tried rinsing in the shower, didnt rinse it out well and got breakage.

Good luck!

I agree with Loca about being nervous each time. Loca, I remember reading that you do it days apart...that's actually a great idea.

I'm always nervous. I always plan it in my head weeks ahead of time, and try to do the practice runs with the conditoners to speed up my time and take notice of more difficult areas.

And after I do it, weeks later, I am always thinking of what I could have done differently. In fact, stretching my relaxers for super long periods has a lot to do with my nervousness. In my mind, with all of my flawed self-relaxer techniques and slow timing, the longer I wait in between touch ups, makes up for all that I lack as a DIYer.

I am trying to find ways to just relax twice a year. Or alternate between 3-month and 6-month stretches (because in the winter I find it easier to stretch).

Ms_Twana

^ Thanks, hun. Talk about hair.......I want yours!!! :yep:

I'm not sure if this is already posted or not, but I found this youtube video where this girl parts her hair vertically, rather than horizontally. It seems like it would be faster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Txx2PrF-XI&NR=1

If I do go ahead and self relax. I need to make sure I get some SAA or something else to slow the process down a WHOLE BUNCH!!!

Lady Esquire

I'm not sure if this is already posted or not, but I found this youtube video where this girl parts her hair vertically, rather than horizontally. It seems like it would be faster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Txx2PrF-XI&NR=1

If I do go ahead and self relax. I need to make sure I get some SAA or something else to slow the process down a WHOLE BUNCH!!!

I add a capful of SAA, EVOO, and hydrolyzed wheat protein, in addition to some cholesterol to my relaxer as well. I've been doing it for about 2 years now. When the SAA runs out, I may switch to pure liquid keratin protein instead.

shunemite

mmhhmmm.... yep! I did this my last relaxer and it worked. :yep:

Ms_Twana

Okay ladies. I'm trying to figure out a method that will allow me to apply my relaxer with little effort. I posted the following in the texlax support thread:

Okay, I THINK I have a plan on how to self texlax and make it faster AND protect the already relaxed hair.............................DRUM ROLL PLEASE..............................FOIL!!!!!

Just like they do it when getting color. I'm going to section my hair in 4 sections. Then, one section at a time, make my part, put the foil on a little bit above the demarcation like (I'm sure the foil will move down some), then make my next part. I'll do that for the entire section, then move to the next section. That way, all I'm doing is lifting up my hair, apply the relaxer, drop the next section down, apply the relaxer, and so forth.

What do you think?? You think that will work??

Then I found out relaxers and metal can't come into contact. So I had to scratch that.

RIGHT!!!! Darn metal!!! :lachen:Girl, I'm still over here thinking. I thought about a shower cap with a elastic band holding it on, instead of the foil. Or maybe the elastic band could hold the saran wrap. I may just be better off doing the sprockets. :lachen:

So what do you ladies think of that idea with either saran wrap or shower caps instead of foil??

Ms_Twana

Alright ladies. I did my first self texlax yesterday. You see I've changed my siggy. I have also updated my Fotki with photos. Here was my process:

I texlaxed my hair in two halves. I started off with the intent of relaxing my entire head in one session. Well, after my 15 minute timer went off and I was still applying relaxer to the first part, I had to go to Plan B. I used gloves, and I think that held me back some. So, I think the first half was processed for about 20-25 minutes.

The second half was easier for me. I pulled those gloves off. For the second half, I had applied all of the relaxer and began to go back and smooth before my 15 minute timer went off. My scalp started to burn in certain sections (I think where I scratched), so I'm glad that I was working so much faster on that part. I applied relaxer to all sections and went back to smooth each section. I had gone to the kitchen to get ready to rinse the relaxer off when my 15 minute alarm went off. So, I moved a lot faster on that one. I'm sure the burning helped. But I'm worried about the two sides having different amounts of process time.

During the application, it was a little difficult to tell the texlaxed hair from the new growth sometimes. So, to be on the safe side, I didn't go further down with the relaxer if I wasn't SURE that it was new growth. As I blow dried my hair the next day, I realized I missed some new growth. So there are some sections that are new texlaxed, natural, and texlaxed. Oh well. I can NOT wait 6 months to texlax again. That was just way too much new growth for me to keep up with.

Marley4920

I attempted my first self-relax yesterday and it was a disaster. I did 4 sections and started in the front. The front is fine but the entire back part of my hair is very underprocessed.:sad: It feels like I didn't put any perm in it at all. I stretched for 14 wks prior to this relaxer and I really dont want to deal with this texture any longer...

Do you think I will ruin my hair if I try to do a mini corrective in the back only today? I don't want to wait to try and fix this. I was thinking I would leave the relaxer on for like 6 minutes... just enought to lossen up the texture a little more. Any thoughts?

locabouthair

I attempted my first self-relax yesterday and it was a disaster. I did 4 sections and started in the front. The front is fine but the entire back part of my hair is very underprocessed.:sad: It feels like I didn't put any perm in it at all. I stretched for 14 wks prior to this relaxer and I really dont want to deal with this texture any longer...

Do you think I will ruin my hair if I try to do a mini corrective in the back only today? I don't want to wait to try and fix this. I was thinking I would leave the relaxer on for like 6 minutes... just enought to lossen up the texture a little more. Any thoughts?

You should wait like 4 to 6 weeeks to do a corrective.

Marley4920

Thanks Loca. But why do I have to wait? The way I see it, the back didnt process long enough so I'm just adding a little more process time. What's really the difference between now and 4 weeks? Is it a scalp issue? If so, I can just base my scalp really well, no?

locabouthair

Thanks Loca. But why do I have to wait? The way I see it, the back didnt process long enough so I'm just adding a little more process time. What's really the difference between now and 4 weeks? Is it a scalp issue? If so, I can just base my scalp really well, no?

I guess it's to just be on the safe side. I guess you could base your scalp well. I dont know. I would wait just to be safe. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Ms_Twana

I was gonna say that you should do a search on correctives and see what the ladies are saying. I don't know the logistics or reasons, but I'm sure there IS a reason that you should wait.

JMH1908

I agree with Loca. She is saying to wait because the hair shaft has already been broken down from the recent chemical service that was just done and if the relaxer is reapplied to the same area, you may experience a lot of shedding/breakage. You definitely want to avoid that. If you truly don't think you can wait another 4-6 weeks, make sure to get someone that can see the new growth that was missed, preferably a professional but if you know someone who can apply it, thats better than you doing it because they can see it better than you can, and make sure you deep condition afterwards. Roux Porosity conditioner is also good to use after chemical services. But personally, I would just wait atleast a couple of weeks. Many blessings..

Last edited:

BonBon

Please be careful. I did a corrective too soon and my hair started breaking off soon after:sad:. Broke my heart, worse setback. Didn't even look like anything was wrong at first as it was still underprocessed/afro thats the weird part
I agree wait to be on the safe side, your hair takes time to strengthen again with regular protein treatments and dcing after a relaxer.

Marley4920

Thanks Ladies.

I did a search and most folks say to wait at least 2 weeks but I could find any real explanation as to why. I guess, in general, opening up the cuticle with a back to back harsh chemical is not good for your hair.

I went wrong by not leaving the relaxer on long enough. I put olive oil and SAA in my MBB and rinsed after 16 minutes. That was clearly NOT enough time for the relaxer to work. I have fine hair so I thought that would be enough. The front is tex-lax and the back is no-lax. :wallbash:

I think I'm going to wait 8 weeks ( I may try BKT in the meantime) and then make an appointment with my stylist for a regular touchup.

Thanks Ladies for your input!

Marley4920

Please be careful. I did a corrective too soon and my hair started breaking off soon after:sad:. Broke my heart, worse setback. Didn't even look like anything was wrong at first as it was still underprocessed/afro thats the weird part
I agree wait to be on the safe side, your hair takes time to strengthen again with regular protein treatments and dcing after a relaxer.

Wow. So sorry to hear abt that set back.
Ok. It's official. I will not be stubborn. I will suck it up and wait until my next relaxer.

itismehmmkay

I THINK I CHANGED MY LIFE!!!

I did a self-relax w/ an applicator! :yay::yay:

The precision was amazing :grin: I think I'll be able to transition to texlax as I want.

I used my staple relaxer (Soft & Beautiful Botanicals) and after adding some WGO to it was able to actually pour it in the applicator bottle. Then I just squeezed the cream out of the bottle onto my newgrowth. It was wonderful :up:

No more worrying about how long the stylist wants to leave the relaxer on; the stylist not understanding that I don't want my hair bone straight; the stylist rubbing it in all hard; the stylist overprocessing hair.

Next on my list is a standing hair dryer.

And yeah, I just have to go back to putting my own care into my regimens. I mean, I even did my nails this past weekend. Sure it's easier to just get them painted at the shop, but they cut the cuticles all crazy...file down all hard..:nono:

I'm psyched!! :grin::grin::grin:

Ms_Twana

The precision was amazing :grin: I think I'll be able to transition to texlax as I want.

I used my staple relaxer (Soft & Beautiful Botanicals) and after adding some WGO to it was able to actually pour it in the applicator bottle. Then I just squeezed the cream out of the bottle onto my newgrowth. It was wonderful :up:

No more worrying about how long the stylist wants to leave the relaxer on; the stylist not understanding that I don't want my hair bone straight; the stylist rubbing it in all hard; the stylist overprocessing hair.

And yeah, I just have to go back to putting my own care into my regimens. I mean, I even did my nails this past weekend. Sure it's easier to just get them painted at the shop, but they cut the cuticles all crazy...file down all hard..:nono:

Applicator bottle, huh. Hmmmmm.....

taz007

Ooooo, I hadn't thought of doing it this way. Brilliant!

Lady Esquire

BRILLIANT!!