Self-Relaxed-Hair Extremely underprocessed

FtrDrO

So, I tried to self relax the day before christmas to get my hair on point for the holidays. For the past 3 or more years, I have been using ORS no-lye, but recently switched to lye. Usually, my mom, who is a hair dresser does my relaxer for me, but being the day before christmas, she was lined up with customers. So, I decided I would try self-relaxing. I prepped my hair, days before by clarifying, doing a protein treatment, & deep conditioning. And then the day of, I tried to do the whole head method by parting and pre-separating each of the four sections. However, the only strength of ORS we had was extra strength. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue since my hair is so thick & i've used it before, but I really didn't want to use it since I was self-relaxing. But there weren't any ORS lyes at the local beauty supply.
To make a long story short, I went ahead and did the relaxer with what I had. By 10 minutes, my scalp burned like hell!!!! :wallbash: And this was during the application. I tried to smooth, and pushed to 20 minutes but I only had enough time to do the back, before I couldn't take it anymore and had to rinse. I guess I didn't base enough. Needless to say, my hair is extremely underprocessed. So much so that much of the roots feels exactly how it felt before relaxing ( I was 10 weeks post). I did the whole mid protein step, however, and the shaft of my hair has never felt so healthy and wonderful! :yep: I just wish my roots weren't so underprocessed:ohwell:
I don 't want to do a corrective, because I'm scared of the double application. But I don't know what else to do. Any tips? I was thinking about getting a blow out or waiting two weeks and getting braids done. Any styling or manageability advice would be EXTREMELY appreciated! .....sorry this was so long

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Wow, switching to lye can lead to a lot of difficulties. I've been told that lye cannot straiten no lye. Please do not do a CR right away.:nono:

Sade'

DAMN I hate when that happens! :wallbash:

Just chill, dont even attempt to re-do it b/c this will only set you back. Just use a CHI or FHI iron if u have one to straighten ur roots for the next 6 weeks maybe and then do a reg strength relaxer(IF U MUST PERM). Prep your hair again for this in the meantime.

gymfreak336

Here is the deal with correctives.....

I underprocessed myself about 3 times this year so I understand.

This is what you do, wait awhile and see how your hair is. If you are not having breakage issues then wait your full 8 weeks or whatever. BUT if you hair starts breaking no matter what you condition with or what you do, go ahead and correct it.

I waited too long the first time and I got more breakage from waiting than if I would have done it sooner. Either way, condition the heck out of your hair, underprocessed hair seems to need more moisture. Keep your roots moist and lubricated to help prevent manipulation damage.

If you go a couple of weeks and decide you can't wait, do a mild protein treatment at the wash before your relaxer. Base you scalp to prevent burning and run some cheapie conditioner over your previously relaxed hair to prevent overlapping.

If you wait it out, base your scalp before you relax and apply as usual. As you smooth, you will run the relaxer through the underprocessed portions then so that they can finish processing as your newgrowth processes.

FtrDrO

Bumping for more responses....

So,based on what you all said, im not going to do a corrective, unless I start to see some severe breakage. However, in the mean time how frequently should I condition? I usually deep condition once a week. Should I increase this? I really think I should just braid it in another two weeks to minimize the need to manipulate my hair at all....

ajoyfuljoy

So, I tried to self relax the day before christmas to get my hair on point for the holidays. For the past 3 or more years, I have been using ORS no-lye, but recently switched to lye. Usually, my mom, who is a hair dresser does my relaxer for me, but being the day before christmas, she was lined up with customers. So, I decided I would try self-relaxing. I prepped my hair, days before by clarifying, doing a protein treatment, & deep conditioning. And then the day of, I tried to do the whole head method by parting and pre-separating each of the four sections. However, the only strength of ORS we had was extra strength. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue since my hair is so thick & i've used it before, but I really didn't want to use it since I was self-relaxing. But there weren't any ORS lyes at the local beauty supply.
To make a long story short, I went ahead and did the relaxer with what I had. By 10 minutes, my scalp burned like hell!!!! :wallbash: And this was during the application. I tried to smooth, and pushed to 20 minutes but I only had enough time to do the back, before I couldn't take it anymore and had to rinse. I guess I didn't base enough. Needless to say, my hair is extremely underprocessed. So much so that much of the roots feels exactly how it felt before relaxing ( I was 10 weeks post). I did the whole mid protein step, however, and the shaft of my hair has never felt so healthy and wonderful! :yep: I just wish my roots weren't so underprocessed:ohwell:
I don 't want to do a corrective, because I'm scared of the double application. But I don't know what else to do. Any tips? I was thinking about getting a blow out or waiting two weeks and getting braids done. Any styling or manageability advice would be EXTREMELY appreciated! .....sorry this was so long

What is the mid protein step

FtrDrO

ajoyfuljoy:
The mid protein step is when, instead of following the relaxer>neutralizer>conditioning steps, you relax>apply a light protein for about 3-5minutes>then neutralize>condition. Sista slick discusses it here: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/320975/guide_to_safely_applying_chemical_relaxers.html
I used Motions CPR, and my hair has never felt better after relaxing.

cocoaluv,
As for why I switched, it was to see if I would get better results with lye versus no lye, since with no lye I was getting a lot of dryness. Done professionally, the lye has been working much better for me in terms of more moisture remaining in my hair. If I had enough time to properly smooth and had applied more base, my results would have been good.

More advice please!!