Self-Relaxers, what do you think of this "strategy?"

Ms Kain

Sounds like Mizani may be the way to go then huh?

But now I have a question and it may sound like it's off topic but it's not to me mainly because I am a straight up "underprocessor" :nono: and the only way I could use mild is if I understand this next point....

I remember some time back there was a post on self relaxing and someone posted an article or a description of what hair should look like when it's really processed. I can't find it anywhere now. Does anyone know of a post or a website that shows or tells you exactly what our hair should look like when it's being relaxed that will ultimately leave our new growth straight and not texlaxed? If I could figure this out then I wouldn't have to rely on time (like Supergirl) and this this strategy would end up working really well!

Thanks in advance Ladies!

~ Blaize

gn1g

SuperGirl when you get this procedure down I am going to need an appointment with you, otay.

tenderheaded

Thanks for the info! I use SE regular, although my hair is Bigen colored. I still need more time but the burn starts at 15 minutes! Has anyone ever mxed mild and regular lye from the same company and gotten good results?????

KiSseS03

Great info!!

I'm transitioning, but I relax my sister's hair, and it's a struggle to get a regular strength relaxer through her whole head in time, especially when she stretches! I'm gonna mention this to her.

WaistLengthDreams

Sounds like Mizani may be the way to go then huh?

But now I have a question and it may sound like it's off topic but it's not to me mainly because I am a straight up "underprocessor" :nono: and the only way I could use mild is if I understand this next point....

I remember some time back there was a post on self relaxing and someone posted an article or a description of what hair should look like when it's really processed. I can't find it anywhere now. Does anyone know of a post or a website that shows or tells you exactly what our hair should look like when it's being relaxed that will ultimately leave our new growth straight and not texlaxed? If I could figure this out then I wouldn't have to rely on time (like Supergirl) and this this strategy would end up working really well!

Thanks in advance Ladies!

~ Blaize

I'm so glad you posted this because that is exactly the same thing that I struggle with!! Can't wait to hear what the responses are!

Ms Kain

Bumping in hopes that someone can answer this question and save us underprocessors! :perplexed

Last edited:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
A little update:

I finally tried this and...

I'm not all that pleased with the results. If you really want to be on the safe side, you might like this method. It is next to impossible to overprocess doing this. It took me a little over an hour to get through my entire head with application, smoothing, and re-smoothing. Even with it taking that long, my hair feels very texlaxed. It's funny, when I rinsed it felt straight. I thought it was straight after I smoothed the second time, but the final result is texlaxed hair. I will definitely do a corrective in a few weeks with normal strength. I don't understand how my stylist was able to get my hair nice and straight with the mild from this line. :scratchch Maybe there is something she does or doesn't do that I'm doing wrong. Oh well, I tried, no biggie. I guess I'd rather it be texlaxed than overprocessed.

NikkiGirl

I don't self relax, but my stylist does this because I have stretched for 4-6 months in the past and I had a lot of new growth. She explained to me that this allows her to leave it longer so she can smooth and get it really straight. So long story short, this works. My hair comes out straight.

meka

I have tried this in the past and if definately works...

Another thing, I noticed Affirm has a Control formula that does the same thing

Design does as well except its called time release

sharifeh

A little update:

I'm not all that pleased with the results. If you really want to be on the safe side, you might like this method. It is next to impossible to overprocess doing this. It took me a little over an hour to get through my entire head with application, smoothing, and re-smoothing. Even with it taking that long, my hair feels very texlaxed. It's funny, when I rinsed it felt straight. I thought it was straight after I smoothed the second time, but the final result is texlaxed hair. I will definitely do a corrective in a few weeks with normal strength. I don't understand how my stylist was able to get my hair nice and straight with the mild from this line. :scratchch Maybe there is something she does or doesn't do that I'm doing wrong. Oh well, I tried, no biggie. I guess I'd rather it be texlaxed than overprocessed.

so you used mizani bb mild or regular mizani mild?

Last edited:

complexsimplicity

I tried this yday and it didn't turn out hot but I know it's bc I started burning. So next time I'll base. I don't normally base my scalp but I will next time so I'll have more time to smooth. I'm sure the next go round will be better. I was still able to get some parts bone straight. I just need more time :yep:. I'll try to remember to come back to this thread when I try again.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
^^^^mild bb

Hey,

I use MBB in reg strength and when I relaxed my virgin head in September it left the back near my scalp with a texlaxed feel the rest was okay. 3 months later I did the front first one day: I left it on for 25 min with a total of smoothing each section in front 2x. This left me with almost straigth NG. 2 days later I did the back and smoothed this 2x and still not as straight as I would like it. So for my next touch up I am going for 30 min to allow me to straighten each section 3x. I like the way my hair looks and feels with this relaxer and I am able to get the hair fairly straight with the scarf method but when it is time to where my hair out I want it to lay down evenly.

I called the company and she said that with this relaxer it can be left on longer because of the conditioning agents they put in the relaxer. I have also read boxes of texturizing relaxers and the directions stated it can be left on for up to 30 min (this is for the entire head) since I am relaxing in sections for me this would be per section. In Lisa Akbari's book she states if you want bone straight to go over each section 3x. I also count how many times I smooth each parted section of hair to ensure each part is getting the same amount of smooth time.

My hair is not thin is still full and thick so I am going to stick it out with this relaxer, I will get my processing together eventually.

HTH

Last edited:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
^^Thank you--that's good info. :yep: I appreciate you sharing. I think I'll stick with normal strength or leave the mild on longer. I can't imagine leaving it on longer than I did today though. But then again... my scalp never did burn one single bit so maybe I could've left it longer.

sharifeh

Where can I buy mizani mild butter blends? any sites that sell it?
All I can find on bluebeez is the sensitive scalp one. And I just found out that one is no-lye and I don't know if I should go that route.
:wallbash:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
^^Thank you--that's good info. :yep: I appreciate you sharing. I think I'll stick with normal strength or leave the mild on longer. I can't imagine leaving it on longer than I did today though. But then again... my scalp never did burn one single bit so maybe I could've left it longer.

No prob this is what we are here for, to help each other out. I hope things turn out well for you with your next relaxer.

I was going to do a corrective to get the areas that did not get as straight as I wanted ( I will be six weeks on MOnday) but I have decided to wait until I am 8 weeks, thats only more weeks. By the time I get there I might wait the entire 12 weeks. I'll see when that time comes.

Spring

A little update:

Hello everyone :waving:

I was excited at the beginning of the thread, but there is a big difference between a mild relaxer taking 5 min more and it taking over an hour. I'm not so sure now. Thanks Supergirl for posting your results....

sharifeh

Hello everyone :waving:

I was excited at the beginning of the thread, but there is a big difference between a mild relaxer taking 5 min more and it taking over an hour. I'm not so sure now. Thanks Supergirl for posting your results....

spring welcome; your hair in your avi looks great!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Where can I buy mizani mild butter blends? any sites that sell it?
All I can find on bluebeez is the sensitive scalp one. And I just found out that one is no-lye and I don't know if I should go that route.
:wallbash:

I purchase from Paynes or Bluebeez (both online).

Honi

There is no board.
I stretch for 6 months. To section and apply at the same time would be too much. I section and separate sections with plastic clips before applying so I don't have to rush

baddison

natural for good
A little update:

SuperGirl, did you *slather* the relaxer on?? I find that even using Mild strength, you really have to put lots & lots of creme...:yep:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
SuperGirl, did you *slather* the relaxer on?? I find that even using Mild strength, you really have to put lots & lots of creme...:yep:

I went light on application and then added more on the first smoothing. Maybe I should go heavy with the initial application. Thanks for the tip! Maybe I will be able to do the mild with success. :)

sqzbly1908

I went light on application and then added more on the first smoothing. Maybe I should go heavy with the initial application. Thanks for the tip! Maybe I will be able to do the mild with success. :)

Yeah ..I think that is where the problem lies...especially with all the hair you have...don't be shy when comes to putting it on!! :)