Senegalese twists

pinkpanther23

Senegalese twists HELP!!

Hey ladies :)

I self installed some Senegalese twists about a month ago and I noticed that they got really frizzy within two weeks. Usually my braids done by others last two months before they start to frizz up this much, I was thinking that maybe this is because before I was relaxed and natural hair frizzes faster. I redid the middle front last week and I'm going to start working on redoing the rest this week. Anyhow I was wondering if there are any braiders on here that can offer me advice or braiding techniques to make my twists last longer.

ForumRunner_20120917_173200.jpg
About a week in.

View attachment 168521
About a week in.

ForumRunner_20120917_173530.jpg
An attempt to capture the frizziness taken today.

Last edited:

Nayna

Unbothered
Braids and twists contain the hair differently. Braids hold the hair in tighter and twists just don't. My hair almost always puffs through twists and rarely puffs through braids. I generally don't like twisting with greases or pomades because they make the twists heavy, but occasionally I've used gel mixed with melted shea butter and I like that mix.

LongLeggedLife

I have always thought that was a pretty style, but I assumed it would get frizzy fast, so I always opt for braids instead. I really think it would work better on fairly short hair (or relaxed hair like you said) so there is not much real hair in the length of the twist to get frizzy.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
My Senegalese twists got fuzzie fast too.

They look nice though.

MzSwift

ITA w/using a more textured hair for your twists.

Mine always frizz and I'm okay with it. What I tend to do when I install twists is to wear them down until they frizz. Then I put them into updo styles until it's time to take them out. The styles I do, I leave the up for at least a week before changing to a different updo. I prefer to wear them up anyway so it works out well. HTH! :)

pinkpanther23

Hey guys thanks for the replies, sorry for the late reply, school has been super busy this semester. Anyways I'm going to try these out again for Christmas and I think I'll be using the marley braid type hair like naturalmanenyc and MzSwift suggested. Hopefully they lasts longer this time, I'm going to try to keep them in for 2 months.

Marand13

When you are twisting are you twisting the strand first before you form the twist? Does that make sense? Doing that keeps my hair from frizzing along with wearing silk scarves at night. But sometimes you cant avoid the frizz.

pinkpanther23

When you are twisting are you twisting the strand first before you form the twist? Does that make sense? Doing that keeps my hair from frizzing along with wearing silk scarves at night. But sometimes you cant avoid the frizz.

Yes I am rolling each strand between my fingers before I twist the two strands around each other if that's what you mean.

waffigrl

Mine are always frizzy also. Though I know some people use gel to twist theirs to make it stay long. But after a while humidity/sweat will still get it frizzy. The best way is probably to have straight/non-frizzy hair to begin with.
I just embrace the frizz tho

Maguerite

They still look good to me. Have you tried re-dipping them in hot water like the braiders do when first installed? It's supposed to help lay down frizzies and hold the plait.

pinkpanther23

They still look good to me. Have you tried re-dipping them in hot water like the braiders do when first installed? It's supposed to help lay down frizzies and hold the plait.

The frizziness is more so my natural hair coming out at the top or roots of the twist not the ends so I don't know if dipping them in water will help the roots. Thanks though :)

lustrous

May I ask how all of you are doing your own installs? I seriously want to employ the crown and glory method this year and sengalese twists are my style of choice. I've watched youtube videos and practiced but still can't get the hang of it. I would appreciate if anyone would share their methodology. The process is not entirely foreign to me -I was natural for several years and twists with my own hair were a staple style.