Sept-nov No Buy Challenge

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Let's do it again. The official start date for this challenge is September 1, 2016 and it ends on November 30, 2016. The purpose of this challenge is to eliminate frivolous purchases and save money in the process.

Rules:
1. Like this post to join
2. List your personal goals for the challenge
3. You are allowed 1 shopping pass each month. Don't get crazy:shopping:
4. Update as frequently as you want if you get the urge to make a purchase, or if you just need encouragement
5. Have fun and try to use what's already in your stash
6. Samples, trial products and travel sizes don't count as purchases:happydance:

Eta vitamins and supplements are ok as well as multi use products/oils. If you can eat it, then it's ok :dinnertime:

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I'm in for another round. Woot woot!

Goals:
1. Use no passes. I'm fully stocked on everything I need until the challenge ends.
2. Allocate half of monthly beauty budget to see my massage therapist for a spa service. I plan on visiting her monthly. The other half of my beauty budget will go towards my meditation room decor.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Like this post to join: Done! Thanks for this! :smile:

List your personal goals for the challenge
  1. Hair-related FINANCIAL Goals: CEASE ALL HAIR-RELATED SPENDING, using a pass only if an HG regimen is discovered and requires a purchase in order to be continued
  2. Hair HEALTH Goals: (1) Reduce SSKs and tangling even though I do wash-and-go's and (2) Get a better understanding and handle on moisture-protein balance
  3. Hair GROWTH Goals: Retain a minimum of 1 inch of hair growth every month of the no-buy
  4. Hair STYLING and ENJOYMENT Goals: (1) Be able to look at my hair and TRULY FEEL that it's GORGEOUS. (I've felt that before when a natural hair expert gave me a wash-and-go, and I would LOVE to accomplish this at home so that I can feel this way about my hair any time.); (2) Have realistic expectations and enjoy the process of learning and experimenting; (3) STREAMLINE the amount of TIME required to love the look of my hair; (4) Master the creation of wash-and-go's that are defined, moisturized, and elongated; (5) Master the creation of wash-and-go's that can last at least 3-4 days (with refreshing, of course); (6) Discover and document the product combinations and techniques that consistently yield wash-and-go's that I love the look and feel of; and (7) Experiment with banding, wavy curlformers, steaming for health and hydration and elongation, etc.

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I bought the Uncurly keratin treatment last week and applied it 2 days ago. Today I bought some Nioxin scalp therapy for my thin edges. I got a new blow dryer last week too with an attached nozzle.

I think I'm good for a while. I might get a blowout at the Paul Mitchell school in a couple weeks if this keratin treatment makes my hair more manageable.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
After yet another frizzy-and-undefined-at-the-roots wash-and-go, I received a pretty compelling recommendation to try using the SM lowpo detangler beneath the SM rose oil gel-cream. I bought the SM lowpo first. Super moisturizing for my hair. So the SM rose oil-gel cream is on the way (free shipping). If I didn't purchase it, it was going to drive me crazy my constant wondering about the outcome of layering the two. After I order the steamer I've researched, I'm giving hubby all account passwords to change so that I can't order anything. I truly don't want to make another cart anywhere. Let the 3-month experimentation, growth, and learning begin!

KaciaLN12

I NEED this challenge!

My goals are:

To make sure I wash AT LEAST once a week. I have sometimes been stretching it to 2 weeks due to laziness.
To retwist at least once during the week if I'm doing a twistout and redoing my hair once during the week with wash n gos.
To save the money I would have spent on hair and beauty items and start an emergency fund.
To not buy anything hair related except for a clarifier.

NaturallyATLPCH

I'm joining. I have only purchased staples (APB Refresher Sprays) since July 5. I can definitely do this challenge as I have no desire to buy anything hair related. Since my hair stays protected whether in twists, a twist bun, or braids, other than scalp oils and refresher sprays, I don't use much. So therefore, I must stop buying ish I won't even be using.
I will use my pass on BF.

Aggie

I'm definitely in.

I will be using up products in my stash and saving to pay off my smallest but highest interest rate credit card debt that's not that small :lol:, then in the shredder it goes.

I will be using up a pass for LD/BF sales however. I want to try some items from Jakeala and SSI moisturizing butters

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Shopping at Sprouts this morning for Moroccan Green tea for hubby.

Resisted these gel purchases. Sorry for the pic size! I'm on my phone and can't edit for some reason. I'll reduce the size later!

WP_20160820_001.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20160820_003.jpg
    WP_20160820_003.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 19

LdyKamz

Shopping at Sprouts this morning for Moroccan Green tea for hubby.

Resisted these gel purchases. Sorry for the pic size! I'm on my phone and can't edit for some reason. I'll reduce the size later!

View attachment 370977
Where are you that they are still selling Aubrey organics?

I'm in. I restocked everything as soon as the last challenge ended so I don't need anything. My goals:

1. Don't use any passes this challenge
  2. Pay off at least 1.5 credit cards with all the money I'll be saving
  3. Use up all the shampoos I have even if I have to use them for something else. I'm planning on shampooing every 2 weeks from now on so I want to get rid of these.
If I think of other goals I'll come back and edit my post. Good luck ladies!

Aggie

I just bought some Toni Daley Earrings and head wraps. I have been eyeing those like forever and just couldn't resist any longer.

I bought the hair pick earrings x3 colors, Toni Daley earrings x3 colors, afro, natural beauty, Ankh and I love my natural hair earrings. I can't wait to get them :yep:.

LdyKamz

So I just tried the its a 10 miracle leave in conditioner and I don't like it. I usually use the one with keratin and I didn't think I would be able to tell the difference but I can. My hair is softer with the keratin one and feels like...regular. It's not bad but I like the keratin better. Ugh! Should I suffer through this? I still have time to buy the other one but this stuff is expensive.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
So I just tried the its a 10 miracle leave in conditioner and I don't like it. I usually use the one with keratin and I didn't think I would be able to tell the difference but I can. My hair is softer with the keratin one and feels like...regular. It's not bad but I like the keratin better. Ugh! Should I suffer through this? I still have time to buy the other one but this stuff is expensive.

:hug2:

Just my humble opinion, but no: Don't suffer through it. You want to enjoy this 3-month span: You want to be LOVING your hair and LOVING not spending--both at the same time. You don't want to feel dissatisfied/resentful all no-buy long. ;) If you can return the not-so-great version, do. If not, gift it to someone you really love. Then get what you love for your hair so that the next 3 months is fun. Win-win.

I get what you mean about it being expensive, though. The price has kept me from trying it, though people rave about the quality and effects of the line. :smile:

ETA: Can you make up the cost? Can you eat out less a few times next week to pay for the purchase? Can you skip Starbucks? Can you take your lunch to work? Can you skip the purchase of something else? Maybe if you balance it all, you won't feel any kind of way about it. :smile:

LdyKamz

:hug2:

Just my humble opinion, but no: Don't suffer through it. You want to enjoy this 3-month span: You want to be LOVING your hair and LOVING not spending--both at the same time. You don't want to feel dissatisfied/resentful all no-buy long. ;) If you can return the not-so-great version, do. If not, gift it to someone you really love. Then get what you love for your hair so that the next 3 months is fun. Win-win.

I get what you mean about it being expensive, though. The price has kept me from trying it, though people rave about the quality and effects of the line. :smile:
Yeah I'm getting rid of it. I only have a tiny bit of the one with keratin left so I'll just suck it up and go buy another one. I'll give the original to my sister. My hair has been behaving and I'm not trying to suffer a set back. I also bought the mask in original because I wanted to try a new moisturizing DC. Now I'm worried I won't like it. That's OK though since I already stocked up on my staples.

Since this stuff is expensive I usually buy 1-2 large bottles at a time. I remember the last time I purchased the cashier repeated the price like 3 times. :lol: and I was like yeah and...are you ringing me up or not? :look:

Anyway, I have to remind myself not to replace staples with try outs. Won't do that again.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I have enough.

I need to stay very cognizant of that!

I haven't organized all of my hair products yet, but I came close when hubby cleaned, disinfected, and scoured the bathroom today.

I had to move and rearrange and sort a bunch of stuff. If I can't get the look/regimen I'm aiming for with this stash generated from so much research, then I need to just let it be and focus on retaining length and being satisfied with "okay-looking" everyday hair. I can always go in to Angela Hicks if I need "gorgeous" hair.

I truly need to focus on techniques, ingredients, and documentation of styles I achieve that make me feel alright to good.

No more products, unless a staple or HG replacement, until this stash is significantly dented!!!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Today I plan to moisturize my strands with Suave Keratin Infusions leave in and possibly go over my roots with the flat iron. I'm washing out the keratin treatment Wednesday with the Uncurly finish shampoo and I'll do a moisturizing dc with Chroma Riche.

Aggie

Try mixing it with some type of oil (hot oil and use as a prepoo). If you have some marshmallow root or slippery elm that you can make a tea/rinse with and mix with it, that just might work as well. Just a thought, rather than lose it altogether. Then there's the option of giving it away as well.

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Try mixing it with some type of oil (hot oil and use as a prepoo). If you have some marshmallow root or slippery elm that you can make a tea/rinse with and mix with it, that just might work as well. Just a thought, rather than lose it altogether. Then there's the option of giving it away as well.

Genius!

Aggie

My marshmallow root and slippery elm are already shipped. I can't wait to get them because I have a couple products I want to use them with to add slip to and to use as detanglers on very tough hair days.

This usually happens when I'm coloring my hair with either henna or a demi-permanent. Sometimes I just use an oil rinse to soften my hair though.

Aggie

^ @YvetteWithJoy

You do realize that the challenge does not officially begin until September right? For now, you can buy to your hearts' content. I prefer to wait until LD and BF but if there's a really good sale at the end of this month, I'm gonna be all over it...:lol: