Sept-nov No Buy Challenge

YvetteWithJoy

On break
^ @YvetteWithJoy

You do realize that the challenge does not officially begin until September right? For now, you can buy to your hearts' content. I prefer to wait until LD and BF but if there's a really good sale at the end of this month, I'm gonna be all over it...:lol:

:giggle: Yes, I'm aware.

I've started mine, personally, early. I really have to . . . though I will make a rare exception if something "serious" pops up over the next 10 days or so. At this point, I have so many NEW products that it makes no sense to just keep buying. I could easily spend 100s of dollars on products over the next 10 days or so. I've gotta stop and focus on technique.

TRUTH BE TOLD: My hair only looks only moderately different when it dries without product versus with it. That is probably a technique or product TYPE issue . . . versus a brand issue. I need to work on technique with what I've got. :smile:

I know I will purchase a very extensive hair analysis someone found for me on Etsy for $30. I know I will purchase a very high-end steamer (the ones most people use here are very good but get very hit-and-miss reviews about stopping working, spewing hot water etc., and I just don't wanna deal with it, so I'm going "up there" for a highly, highly discounted price at Sam's Club). I might keep the Huetiful follow-up appointment I let the consultant schedule (sigh). It's on Nov Sept 1st.

I miiiiiiiiight permit myself to invest in the Moroccan Oil mousse because it'd be a different sort of purchase: Not more leave-in, etc., etc,. but a different TYPE of product to allow a different TECHNIQUE to replace gelling the hair. I've tried 2 mousses/foams, one with okay results. This foam is supposedly FORMULATED for to do what I'm looking for. Hmm. I'll think on it! The Moroccan Oil brand is slick: They capitalize on the name without having a ton of Moroccan oil in their products. :nono2: :smile:

Aggie

:giggle: Yes, I'm aware.

I've started mine, personally, early. I really have to . . . though I will make a rare exception if something "serious" pops up over the next 10 days or so. At this point, I have so many NEW products that it makes no sense to just keep buying. I could easily spend 100s of dollars on products over the next 10 days or so. I've gotta stop and focus on technique.

TRUTH BE TOLD: My hair only looks only moderately different when it dries without product versus with it. That is probably a technique or product TYPE issue . . . versus a brand issue. I need to work on technique with what I've got. :smile:

I know I will purchase a very extensive hair analysis someone found for me on Etsy for $30. I know I will purchase a very high-end steamer (the ones most people use here are very good but get very hit-and-miss reviews about stopping working, spewing hot water etc., and I just don't wanna deal with it, so I'm going "up there" for a highly, highly discounted price at Sam's Club). I might keep the Huetiful follow-up appointment I let the consultant schedule (sigh). It's on Nov Sept 1st.

I miiiiiiiiight permit myself to invest in the Moroccan Oil mousse because it'd be a different sort of purchase: Not more leave-in, etc., etc,. but a different TYPE of product to allow a different TECHNIQUE to replace gelling the hair. I've tried 2 mousses/foams, one with okay results. This foam is supposedly FORMULATED for to do what I'm looking for. Hmm. I'll think on it! The Moroccan Oil brand is slick: They capitalize on the name without having a ton of Moroccan oil in their products. :nono2: :smile:
Have fun with that

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Have fun with that

Thanks! I've been prepping for this no-buy all month. So far it's been a blast! The learning process is so much more fun when you have everything you need, are able to play with what you've got and try all sorts of different combos and gradually tweak things, and are able to funnel saved money elsewhere.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Good job resisting temptation @YvetteWithJoy. Don't let @Aggie get you in trouble :lachen:

:laugh:

:wiggle: :strong:

"Thank you!" She looks around, places her hand over her heart, and takes a slight bow. Then holding up her hands to stem the applause, and lowering her head and closing her eyes: "Yes . . . Thank you, thank you . . . thank you so much!" :smile:

Love me some Aggie! I learn so much from her, and she's got great hair. I've decided to live vicariously through the major haulers. They are fun and teach me a lot. But yes: I have GOT to stay out of trouble! :laugh: I'm sitting over her looking at the Hydro Quench Systems sample pack like :thud:. Why do I keep hearing about how "FINALLY! We have a true moisturizer for natural hair!" :peek::curtain: :hide: :ohsnap::nervous2: :meditate:

Last edited:

Aggie

:wiggle: :strong:

"Thank you!" She looks around, places her hand over her heart, and takes a slight bow. Then holding up her hands to stem the applause, and lowering her head and closing her eyes: "Yes . . . Thank you, thank you . . . thank you so much!" :smile:

Love me some Aggie! I learn so much from her, and she's got great hair. I've decided to live vicariously through the major haulers. They are fun and teach me a lot. But yes: I have GOT to stay out of trouble! :laugh: I'm sitting over her looking at the Hydro Quench Systems sample pack like :thud:. Why do I keep hearing about how "FINALLY! We have a true moisturizer for natural hair!" :peek::curtain: :hide: :ohsnap::nervous2: :meditate:

@YvetteWithJoy

Thank you sweetie :kiss:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Target updated my Shea Moisture Rose Oil Complex gel's shipping/arrival estimation date. It was supposed to arrive Thursday at the latest. Now it has a range: It should arrive between Thursday and Sunday. I wonder if that means it's hard to get -- that they had to get it from Shea Moisture first before shipping it to me. No worries: I like that I get free shipping with Target and don't mind the wait to pick it up in-store.

Aside: I notice that the shampoo and conditioner for this line is not in the "black hair care" area, but is mixed in with the gen population. :smile: The gel is never with it, no matter what store I happen to be in.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Okay, so how about I walk into the Ulta and one lone bottle of Shea Moisture Rose Oil Complex gel is just sitting there all by its lonesome.

What?!?? I went to this Ulta twice to try to get this product before ordering online.

And then: I asked the (Russian?) lady styling someone's hair:

"Do you carry Curl Keeper samples?"
She said, "No. But so . . . you are looking to give your haird cuhhls?"
And I said, "Yes. I've tried all sorts of gels--"
She cuts me off, "Gel causes vlakes and dryness and all sorts ov problems. The verhry best thing to devine your cuhhls is Frizz Dizmiz, rat behind you in the gohld bahtel."
I said "Oh, yeah? Well--"
She cuts me off: "Trust me. Ve have vomen in here that will do your hair and make it so beyootihfuhl. Zeedoh frizz. Devined. Sahft hold. That is a vehrry guut prahduct."

LOL! I resisted, but the reviews look pretty good! https://www.amazon.com/Redken-Frizz...ll_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent

I haven't investigated the ingredients yet.

Aggie

Okay, so how about I walk into the Ulta and one lone bottle of Shea Moisture Rose Oil Complex gel is just sitting there all by its lonesome.

What?!?? I went to this Ulta twice to try to get this product before ordering online.

And then: I asked the (Russian?) lady styling someone's hair:

"Do you carry Curl Keeper samples?"
She said, "No. But so . . . you are looking to give your haird cuhhls?"
And I said, "Yes. I've tried all sorts of gels--"
She cuts me off, "Gel causes vlakes and dryness and all sorts ov problems. The verhry best thing to devine your cuhhls is Frizz Dizmiz, rat behind you in the gohld bahtel."
I said "Oh, yeah? Well--"
She cuts me off: "Trust me. Ve have vomen in here that will do your hair and make it so beyootihfuhl. Zeedoh frizz. Devined. Sahft hold. That is a vehrry guut prahduct."

LOL! I resisted, but the reviews look pretty good! https://www.amazon.com/Redken-Frizz...ll_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent

I haven't investigated the ingredients yet.
I love Redken products. I especially love their Extreme line, All Soft line, and Smooth Down line. The Frizz Dismiss, I have not yet tried.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I love Redken products. I especially love their Extreme line, All Soft line, and Smooth Down line. The Frizz Dismiss, I have not yet tried.

That's encouraging! I've never used any of their products. If that Frizz Dismiss Controlling Creme was $14 or less, I'd have it today probably. The Ulta I went to has a lot of black clients at their salon, I believe. If the stylists are using that product a lot . . . and if the reviews are to be believed . . . I'm interested. Especially because she said "No gel needed after." So curious!!!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
That's encouraging! I've never used any of their products. If that Frizz Dismiss Controlling Creme was $14 or less, I'd have it today probably. The Ulta I went to has a lot of black clients at their salon, I believe. If the stylists are using that product a lot . . . and if the reviews are to be believed . . . I'm interested. Especially because she said "No gel needed after." So curious!!!

It might be an ix-nay on the izz-Fray ismiss-Day. Black Ulta stylist I saw today said, "Uh, for wash-and-go's? Uh . . . no. For blow outs? Yes!" I can't tell who knows the truth! The reviews kind of confirm the first (Russian?) lady.

I saw a Ouidad Kinky line curl defining custard, and wanted it badly. I kept it moving.

I didn't go down the hair aisle at the store today:cheers:

Nice job!, @Prettymetty!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I could NEVER go so long without buy a single product. I'm so sorry

If for every needed hair product category you bought 3 months worth of staples and products to trial, you could do it, I bet. I prepped for this by researching and purchasing! I have an amount of stuff that makes shopping for more in most categories just silly! There's no way I'll have enough time to trial things out properly! Basically, I look at my stash and think, "These products need a chance! And in various combos with various techniques!" It would be a shame for me at the moment to keep buying, buying, buying, buying without working with what I've got.

And I made this discovery: If I wash and condition and then just air dry, my hair doesn't look a ton different than when I work stylers and such into my hair. It looks different and better with stylers and such, but not a TON different, even when I use holy grail products. So I need to chillax a little bit. All this work and purchasing and money gone . . . for typically merely a slight difference. But I know that my situation is a little different: I need to work on technique, and I only wear wash-and-go's.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I was at the Kroger today :shopping: for hand soap for the house.

Somehow I moseyed down to the . . . :yep: . . . hair care aisle.:rolleyes:

That's when I saw it: The Pantene line that the stylist's sister from yesterday was raving to me about.

I got it. :look:

I was kind of good, though!:curtain: :cool: :biggrin: I did not get the poo or the cowash (and at those prices it would have been fine). I only got the curl defining conditioner and the custard -- the two categories of items where my regimen/process/results need improvement. :yep:
So, can I get a hand clap on that??? :clapping: I could have done worse,right? :look:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I went into the JC Penny's today. Just about EVERYTHING was 30% off!

I resisted purchasing (for trialing, as I have none of these): Carol's Daughter, It's a 10, Kenra, Paul Mitchell, Biolage, Redken (they have the Frizz Dismiss :look:), AG (they have that conditioner that was raved about on an older thread somewhere), etc.

They also had this product I'd been wanting to trial for a long time, but the cones and parabens in it has given me major pause. The Amazon reviews are amazing . . . and tantalizing . . . and tempting! See for yourself! :laugh:: Wave by Design Define & Shine 2 N 1 Dry Finishing Lotion. Welp, today at JC Penny's, it was 30% off of $9.99 and returnable with a receipt.

Do you think I bought it?

Here's the click-to-enlarge pictures of sales eye candy. Blessings, y'all!

upload_2016-8-25_15-2-37.png upload_2016-8-25_15-3-4.png upload_2016-8-25_15-3-26.png upload_2016-8-25_15-3-59.png upload_2016-8-25_15-4-20.png

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
I'm in. I didn't think I could do a no buy, but I can't remember the last time I purchased a hair product other than the Netwurks revitalizer.

My personal goals are:
1. Save at least $300 by the end of the year.
2. Use some of these products I've never tried.
3. Decrease deep conditioner count to under 15.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Thanks for the eye candy! I love Keracare... Redken was ok for me... I have yet to try It's a 10. So, did you buy anything @YvetteWithJoy ?

There were quite a few items I wanted to buy! I really wanted to try some Kenra stuff and It's a 10 stuff. I only purchased the Wave by Design Define & Shine. It was the only thing I could justify. If they had had DevaCurl products there, I'm sure I would have purchased the DevaCurl B'Leave-in and DevaCurl Set It Free. Phew! None of that was there. So, I spent around $7.00 though I could EASILY have spent $50. So, although a purchase was made, I done good! :smile:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm in. I didn't think I could do a no buy, but I can't remember the last time I purchased a hair product other than the Netwurks revitalizer.

My personal goals are:
1. Save at least $300 by the end of the year.
2. Use some of these products I've never tried.
3. Decrease deep conditioner count to under 15.
How many deep conditioners do you have now?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
SM: raw shea butter, 10 in 1, sacha inchi, superfruit and coconut fruit fusion or something like that
Garnier whole blends: all of them
Honey Handmades: various
Jakeala: Dope
NurCreations: green tea & avocado (holiest of holy grails)

And a whole lot more. This is what I could remember off the top of my head. Lol

How do you like the 10-in-1?

Once I get low on my NaturelleGrow DCs, I'll have to try that NurCreations DC.

I really, really, really want to try this Amika Triple Rx DC that Naptural85 raves about.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
How do you like the 10-in-1?

Once I get low on my NaturelleGrow DCs, I'll have to try that NurCreations DC.

I really, really, really want to try this Amika Triple Rx DC that Naptural85 raves about.
Haven't tried it yet which is why I don't need to buy anything else. I'm working on some of my handmades so it will be a while before I get to any of the SM or Garnier.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
This was shared at the sales thread:
Bee Mine Organics
www.beemineorganics.com
View attachment 371865

Man. Where is the "pout like a toddler" emoticon? Sooooooooo many people have advised me to use these products, it's not even funny. The DC and the curly butter, or whatever. Oh, decisions, decisions.

Today:

I've decided to wash, DC, and try an LCO with a product I've been wondering about for a looooong time: Wave by Design Define and Shine 2 n 1 Dry Finishing Lotion (link goes to Amazon reviews).

So the steps and products this time include:
  1. Prepoo: Ghee
  2. Shampoo: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
  3. DC: NaturelleGrow Coconut and Mango Deep Conditioner
  4. (L) Conditioner: DevaCurl Decadence One Condition (I'm going to leave it in)
  5. (C) Styler: Wave by Design Define and Shine Lotion
  6. (O) Sealant: Grapeseed oil (purchase and use jojoba oil next time)
  7. Let dry for 1 hour
  8. Band the hair in sections
  9. Air dry
  10. Shape, fluff, and style
I'll report back!