September 2018: Hits & Misses

Aggie

@Aggie
Glad you are in the Tea Rinse/Ayurveda Challenge:grin:

@BeautifulRoots
You are more than welcome to join us for the remainder of the year, if you wish.:yep:
Me too @IDareT'sHair. They are great. I have so much herbs and teas to use, I might as well start to use them up.

Whatever blend I make, I try to make just enough to use up in one week then make another fresh blend the following week.

I do keep it refrigerated it so doesn't spoil. I just warm it gently in the microwave when I'm ready to use it. Can't be pouring freezing cold tea over my head at any time :nono:.

Aggie

Thank you. Is this thread apart of a challenge? My apologies, I thought it was a general monthly thread on the forum.
@BeautifulRoots,

I don't think it's a challenge. I think it's a thread to list everything that's working and not working for our hair and why we feel so.

It would be good to know if your hair is low, normal or high porosity because different products tend to act differently based on these three things. This in turn help others make a better and informed decision on whether or not they will try out a new a product.

By all means, post your thoughts about your products hon. You might help to save someone's hair...and yours.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Hits:
Individual crochet locs - I installed these yesterday, and although I'm not sure how long I'll wear them for, I like them. They're pretty flattering and I can't believe how lightweight and comfortable they are. I put my hair into a ponytail and can't feel a thing, so they will be perfect for any kind of exercise that I want to do. I'll probably take them out at about 4 weeks max because I don't like the color I picked (99J) and I probably manhandled them a bit while installing, so they came out a bit fuzzy for my taste. But I'll definitely do this style again and am looking forward to getting more practice and trying different brands and lengths of hair. And now that I have the technique more down, I'm sure it will take half the time.

Miss:
Individual Goddess locs - When I started doing my hair yesterday, I planned to do goddess locs, They are so pretty in pictures, but for me, it's not a practical style at all. All the loose hair kept tangling in one another, and I felt paranoid that they would come loose from my braid and fall out. Halfway through, I cut all the curly hair out and finished the style with just plain locs. I like how textured locs look and plan to try those, but the loose hair + loc hybrid is gonna be a no for me, dawg. :lol:

Aggie

Hits:
Individual crochet locs - I installed these yesterday, and although I'm not sure how long I'll wear them for, I like them. They're pretty flattering and I can't believe how lightweight and comfortable they are. I put my hair into a ponytail and can't feel a thing, so they will be perfect for any kind of exercise that I want to do. I'll probably take them out at about 4 weeks max because I don't like the color I picked (99J) and I probably manhandled them a bit while installing, so they came out a bit fuzzy for my taste. But I'll definitely do this style again and am looking forward to getting more practice and trying different brands and lengths of hair. And now that I have the technique more down, I'm sure it will take half the time.

Miss:
Individual Goddess locs - When I started doing my hair yesterday, I planned to do goddess locs, They are so pretty in pictures, but for me, it's not a practical style at all. All the loose hair kept tangling in one another, and I felt paranoid that they would come loose from my braid and fall out. Halfway through, I cut all the curly hair out and finished the style with just plain locs. I like how textured locs look and plan to try those, but the loose hair + loc hybrid is gonna be a no for me, dawg. :lol:
That's some beautiful thick hair in your avi @Chaosbutterfly

sunflora

Flowah Powah
HIT: Flax seed gel

I didn't like it before since it couldn't give me the same sleekness as ecostyler, but ecostyler doesn't work anymore for some reason. The flax gel almost works as a moisturizer. My hair acts totally different once I put it in my hair. It gave a very light, natural hold. I remember it making my hair crunchy in the past, but now I'm having a totally different effect. I did add a squirt of castor oil to it and boil it as thick as I could, but I used castor oil before. I'm also using it a lot more sparingly as well, because I learned last night that if I use too much my hair will never, ever dry.

Either way, it's here to stay.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
HIT:
(Repeat) Mane and Tail (the original). I had to stop using it when my hair was boycotting coconut oil, but it looks like my hair likes it again. There's nothing I love more than 32oz of conditioner for $6 as someone who cowashes daily.

Rosemary EO: Not sure how I slept on this as someone who is pretty big on aromatherapy. I add this to my big bottle of mane and tail and my cowash experience is a million times more enjoyable. Most of my products have this in them as well, but it's overpowered by other EOs.

BeautifulRoots

@BeautifulRoots,

I don't think it's a challenge. I think it's a thread to list everything that's working and not working for our hair and why we feel so.

It would be good to know if your hair is low, normal or high porosity because different products tend to act differently based on these three things. This in turn help others make a better and informed decision on whether or not they will try out a new a product.

By all means, post your thoughts about your products hon. You might help to save someone's hair...and yours.

Okay great! Thanks. :)

To answer your question, my hair historically has been low porosity, but in recent years it seems more normal porosity. So low to normal.

Aggie

Okay great! Thanks. :)

To answer your question, my hair historically has been low porosity, but in recent years it seems more normal porosity. So low to normal.
Lovely. We have some members that have low-po to normal hair so you can get a lot of tips from them in here. You can always ask us to be sure. My hair's porosity is mostly normal to high-po.

My hair can take any product but it has to be sealed properly with a thick emollient to keep it moisturized. Heavy sealing, I believe was started by @Saludable84, works wonders for my hair. I mean it stays moisturized for at least a week or even longer sometimes. I use this method on water-drenched hair sometimes but most of the time, I use Care Free Curl Gold Curl Activator or Lustrasilk Curl Max Moisturizer.

It's basically a water based moisturizer/cream, an oil and a butter/grease used to M/S the hair. My sealants are generally whipped shea butter or some good old Blue Magic Grease (original blue formula). I believe @Saludable84's hair is low-po if I'm not mistaken and she uses this method successfully.

ETA:
Just checked out your YT chanel @BeautifulRoots. Your hair is lovely.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Lovely. We have some members that have low-po to normal hair so you can get a lot of tips from them in here. You can always ask us to be sure. My hair's porosity is mostly normal to high-po.

My hair can take any product but it has to be sealed properly with a thick emollient to keep it moisturized. Heavy sealing, I believe was started by @Saludable84, works wonders for my hair. I mean it stays moisturized for at least a week or even longer sometimes. I use this method on water-drenched hair sometimes but most of the time, I use Care Free Curl Gold Curl Activator or Lustrasilk Curl Max Moisturizer.

It's basically a water based moisturizer/cream, an oil and a butter/grease used to M/S the hair. My sealants are generally whipped shea butter or some good old Blue Magic Grease (original blue formula). I believe @Saludable84's hair is low-po if I'm not mistaken and she uses this method successfully.

ETA:

Hi.

Heavy Sealer here. I normally do this when it gets really cold because my hair is LoPo, and while it doesn’t dry out, it’s dry enough during the winter to “eventuallt“ dry it out if I’m not careful.

I typically do leave in, cream, oil, butter, grease. Seems like a lot, but my hair stays well moisturizer and best of all, I cut less. It also allows me to deep condition less during the cooler months if I can’t. I definitely recommend heavy sealing.

Aggie

Hi.

Heavy Sealer here. I normally do this when it gets really cold because my hair is LoPo, and while it doesn’t dry out, it’s dry enough during the winter to “eventuallt“ dry it out if I’m not careful.

I typically do leave in, cream, oil, butter, grease. Seems like a lot, but my hair stays well moisturizer and best of all, I cut less. It also allows me to deep condition less during the cooler months if I can’t. I definitely recommend heavy sealing.
I couldn't remember your exact method. Thanks for chiming in hon :kiss:. With that said, I can now use shea butter under my grease. Before, I was alternating them on different M/S weeks.

Last edited:

BeautifulRoots

ETA:

Aww thank you.

This sounds like a nice routine. After reading your post and also Saludable84 post, I'm thinking I may need to incorporate more sealing into my routine. Since I've moved out west, my hair dries out quicker than when I lived on the east coast. Definitely because of the hot dry desert. I've been doing the same hair routine I did when I lived in a humid climate instead of adding more moisture and sealing to counteract the dry climate.