September 2020: Hits & Misses

Neomorph

Continued Hits
Sunny Isle JBCO Pure Butter
: found out it makes for a good edge tamer
Argan Oil: Absolutely lovely for blow outs

Hits
Washing twice a week
: while I can go a whole week without washing as long as I use my T-sal shampoo, washing twice with T-sal works even better. I'm noticing better moisture retention and easier detangling.

Miss
Qhemet Biologics Aethiopika Twisting Butter:
It made my hair soft but a little too poofy for my tastes. I'll use up my trial size on my ends but definitely not a repurchase

Last edited:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Super Hit:
Felicia Leatherwood detangling brushes

I heard the brush was good, but didnt really believe it was worth the hype. A youtuber I follow said it didnt detangle well at the roots, so she had a second brush she used as well. Despite that, I saw Felicia had a new design and was running a sale, so I decided to grab a couple. Best decision ever! This brush not only had my curls popping, but it fully detangled my hair from roots to tip. Seriously. My waves were deep and smooth when I pulled my hair back into a low ponytail. And it detangled quickly. I love this brush!

Last edited:

oneastrocurlie

Hit: Mane choice Egyptian gel - nice hold, no flakes, not sticky, didn't need a whole lot at once

Meh: Mane Choice Detangling Shampoo - not very good at detangling at all, not stripping so I'll use up but not a repurchase

Miss: Sally putting not a single air pocket, piece of bubble wrap, or anything in my order.

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Sort of a Hit

CON Pure Honey Products, Curl Activator, Leave in and twisting butter. Subtle definition, soft and bouncy.

Sort of a Miss

CON Pure Honey Products, maybe should have only use the curl activator and not added the twisting butter. Flakes when I unraveled the braids and dusty looking hair ( heavy shea butter products do that)

Miss

Humidity, braid out expanded as soon as I got to work

Hits

Wash day! My hair wasnt hard to detangle at all. A few snags but nothing too major!

Continued Hits

Keracare Curl Essence Cowash and conditioner, the slip and softness are really good. I cant wait to try out the rest of the products I ordered from this line.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Continued Hit

Kercare Moisturizing conditioner

NLS Fenugreek prepoo, great at detangling and slightly strengthened my hair

New Hits

Keracare Moisturizing Leave in conditioner, curling cream, and curl activator. ALL very moisturizing. The leave in conditioner has a ooey gooey slippery consistency that detangles and moisturizes. The curl activator is slight thicker but moisturizing as welll with slight slip and the curling cream is the thickest with a good amount of moisture. The hold on my braids is very light though at the moment. I probably should have tried a little bit of the jelly on top.

Sort of a Hit

Keracare Moisturizing Shampoo, it wasnt harsh and it had some of the slip that the rest of the line has. I used it before a protein treatment and after rinsing out a fenugreek prepoo so my hair wasnt super moist but it did the job. Will try it again soon

Botanika Protein Treatment, curls popped on application, will try it again in 4 -6 weeks. Probably should have used a deep conditioner after instead of just a conditioner

Neomorph

Hit
Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner
: I love the versatility of this conditioner (leave-in, rinse out and pre-poo). I didn't care for it as a leave in, but it works well as a rinse out and great for a pre-poo! Definitely a repurchase

Miss
Olive Oil
: Tried to use it for an oil rinse today and it made my hair feel so bad...it was ridiculous....

GGsKin

Hit:
Fenugreek. On Saturday, I used a coffee and fenugreek infused oil on my scalp and then whipped up a mix of fenugreek powder, conditoner and hot water and also massaged this into my scalp and hair as a prepoo. After shampooing and DC, I saturated my hair in a rice water and fenugreek tea blend and steamed in the shower for 15mins. I lost very little hair in comparison to my usual wash day shedding. I went on to straighten my hair. The next day, my cousin kept telling me how shiny it looks. My auntie even said my hair looked like a wig:lol:.

shasha8685

Hits
Using CR Aloe Whipped Butter Gel+ The Doux Mousse Def for my twist outs. My hair just has more definition and it responds well to each of these products on their own

Pre-pooing. My hair is usually super duper dry right before wash day. Last wash day went quicker when I pre-poo'd first. I really need to keep it up

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Hit:
-My DIY scalp spray. Using it 3xs a week, no more dry scalp issues

-Found a great hair salon thats not too far from my home for my quarterly trims and blowouts (before braids).

-Keeping it simple all 2020 has been a blessing. Will continue in 2021.

Miss:
-None (yet)

naturalyogini

Miss:
Soultanicals Carrot shampoo. It was watery like someone added water to Castile soap. It has no slip. It made my hair rough and squeaky even though it is supposed to a moisturizing shampoo. I image that the pH is too alkaline. I contacted customer service but I'm not hopeful.

HealthyHair2020

Super Hit
adwoa beauty's deep conditioner! The slip the DC gave with applying and detangling with it. The moisture that came after using my DCing it for 1 hr and washing it out. Almost didn't need a leave in. :love: The only con is the price tbh and for all that it did, idk if that's big deal anymore. Oh the mint.... boy it is minty! It will have you wiping your eyes sometimes but it is worth it!

Hit
Mielle Rosemary Mint Shampoo.
I like it but I am not in love with it. Not sure it cleans my scalp super well but it lathers nicely and it's moisturizing for my hair.

Continued Hit
As I Am Leave In and Mielle Babassu & Mint Deep Conditioners. Can't live without them tbh.

Hair is 4B-C, low porosity, medium density btw.

Hairties

Hits

Mane Krush Clay Wash vs Project Junkie Naturals rhassoul Clay wash

I got both of these so I decided to compare them. The mane krush is more cleansing in my hair. Nice minty feeling too. The PJN is softer and more moisturizing, so I reach for it more. I don’t consider Clay washes as a replacement for a shampoo, but a mid week cowash to remoisturize. Both give nice curl definition and have similar price points.

Mane krush
Ingredients: Distiller Water, Organic Aloe Vera Juice, Rhassoul Clay, Grapeseed Oil, Raw Honey, Peppermint, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Optiphen

PJN ingredients
Distilled Water infused with Rosemary, Slippery Elms Bark, Marshmallow Root, Castile Soap, Rhassoul Clay, Prunus Dulcis (Almond) Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit , BTMS, Mango Butter, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Seed Oil, Xanthan Gum, Mentha Piperia (Peppermint) Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol (and) Sorbic Acid.

Annabelle’s Perfect Blend Honey 3-in-1
i thought it would be an okay moisturizer and mainly thought the love on social media was due to the cute bottle. I got it the last drop sale. Omg I do love it. I didn’t want to! Does it have “hold”, no, it does not. It gives definition and when I did a full routine with it I felt a slight gel cast. I don’t need heavy gel so the hold was fine for the twists I do for the week. My hair loves honey so I thought it would be fine.
I had extreme hydration as my number one pick from apb, but this feels better for a longer time in my hair. I top the extreme under the gel or under the cashmere crepe/icing. The Honey I just had it as a one and done. I bet if I topped it with the extreme gel or the cashmere icing it would be great. I hope she gives an option for a larger bottle. The bottle is cute but I just need more product. I thought the bottle would be a pain but the slip works great and it hasnt gotten stuck in the bottle yet.

Last edited:

Neomorph

Hits
Satin Lined Beanies/Berets
: Ever since it started getting a little chilly here I've been throwing my hair into a satin lined beanie/beret. Quick and keeps my hair nice and moisturized. Luckily my job is very lax about dress code so I can wear these to work.

Bamboo Silica: I'm already noticing clearer skin and stronger nails. Will have to wait a bit to see the effects on hair health. But the biggest thing is no breakouts!

Huge Miss
Nature's Bounty Hair Skin and Nails Gummies
: The biotin broke me out and gave me eczema flares on my body