September No Buy Challenge

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Let's save some coins and use what we have...

Challenge runs from September 1-September 30, 2017.

1. Like this post to join
2. List your goals for this challenge
3. Check in once a week for support
4. You get 1 emergency pass (use it wisely)

Although this is the hair forum, I also limit beauty purchases in general. That includes nails, skin care and clothing...

Good luck ladies!!
#teamnobuy

Smiley79

I'm in....

1. Like this post to join- DONE

2. List your goals for this challenge: No hair/beauty related purchases for September; I will use-up what I have on hand. I want to reserve my coins for a few Black Friday purchases. And I'm aiming to create a more minimalist hair/beauty collection.

3. Check in once a week for support-WILL DO

4. You get 1 emergency pass (use it wisely)- UNUSED

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
In.

Goal: To benefit from sticking to an ayurvedic regimen and to measure my growth over the 3 months of the quarter, being able to attribute the progress to specific products, techniques, eating, vitamin intake, and exercise.

NOTE: The photo enlarges upon click.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I always scale back my spending this time of the year. I have a lot of events coming up...family birthdays, the holidays and we participate in just about everything that comes to town. Pumpkin patch, farm openings, Ice skating....don't even mention all the good food that only comes around this season! My goal is always to spend my money on experiences/making memories and not material things. I had it down, but pregnancy threw me for a loop and I had to relearn what my body liked since my skin went haywire. I purchased more than I would like but I'm considered full term now and due any day...and this pregnancy will be OVAH!! Yes Gawd!

I want to focus on using up a few wax tarts, 1 skin item, 1 hair item & 2 body care items.

I already had a purchase planned to stock up on conditioners so that will be my pass.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I dyed my hair yesterday with Via Blue black and It was more of a teal color. My hair was red before the rinse, and now it's a dark greenish blue hue.

It's no Manic Panic. I need a jar of shocking blue for when this color fades.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm trying to think through what I need, minimally, to make it through September without purchasing.

Cantu ACV Rinse for scalp care
EarthTones Naturals Gelly because my sample will run out

My September pass will likely be used to purchase a full size of the ayurvedic prepoo sample I just ordered.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy, GM! Which pre poo did you purchase?

Morning!

I purchased a sample of the Pure O.N.E. Beauty Red Palm Oil Hibiscus Prepoo Mud Mask or whatever it's called, from Etsy.

Rationale: Prepoo stays in my head and on my scalp for a good while. I should use an ayurvedic one.

I watched a YT video detangling demo with one of their other prepoos and was satisfied to trial the hibiscus one.

I'm hoping the clay in it will cleanse enough to permit me to skip poo and scalp cleanser: I'm trying to reduce steps!

LushLox

I'm in, I really don't need to buy a single thing, but in relation to skin care I do need some face moisturiser. So will get that order in now.

I'll should be able to not buy any hair/beauty purchases for September.

I need to do some renovations to my apartment. I've just completed my sons room and need to do my hallway and bathroom next. So it would be good to save money where I can..

I can't promise on the clothes though, I need to have some sort of outlet! :lol:

Aggie

Hmmm, I think I'm in as well. I didn't purchase anything hair related so far for August but for September, I know I will be needing some ayurveda powders so I will use my pass for those and I should be set until Black Friday. I can't decide when to purchase them so I will play it by air.

Oh by the way, this is hurricane season in the tropics so I am cautious about my spending during this time of the year since Hurricane Matthew tore us up here in the Bahamas last year. I can't afford to be reckless during this hectic time :nono:.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I think I'm going to pass on ordering the EarthTones Naturals Gelly: I have so much gel in this house! It just doesn't make sense to order more. I need to just use what is here.

I contacted Jakeala, and she said she can scent her Shea Amla Parfait in the best-smelling scent I've ever, ever smelled: the scent of her cowash conditioner bar. *faint* I'm about to be in aromatherapy HEAVEN. I couldn't resist and ordered some.

I will pick up some Cantu ACV Rinse today, and that's it: I'm done until I need to use my pass (likely for the prepoo I mentioned above, if it performs well.)

I'm ready, ready, ready to get my saving game on!!! :smile:

Aggie

@IDareT'sHair

Well my weaknesses right now are candles and body butters. I have enough body butters now but I KNOW I will be getting some more candles as soon as there is another great sale on them at Bath and Body Works. I only purchase them during a good sale like 50% off or buy 3 get 3 free. I can't beat that price, plus the candles smell awesome.

Other than that, like I mentioned earlier, for hair related purchases, I only need ayurveda powders now. That's what I've committed to and that's all I will be getting for September unless I run out of any holy grail products that I really need and if I remember correctly, I won't be needing anything in the next month. I'm going to do this, watch and see :look: :pray:

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@IDareT'sHair

Well my weaknesses right now are candles and body butters. I have enough body butters now but I KNOW I will be getting some more candles as soon as there is another great sale on them at Bath and Body Works. I only purchase them during a good sale like 50% off or buy 3 get 3 free. I can't beat that price, plus the candles smell awesome.

Other than that, like I mention earlier, for hair related purchases, I only need ayurveda powders now. That's what I've committed to and that's all I will be getting for September unless I run out of any holy grail products that I really need and if I remember correctly, I won't be needing anything in the next month. I'm going to do this, watch and see :look: :pray:

I have faith in you, @Aggie. I've been seeing your restraint for months. I have no doubt you can do this!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
No store I went to today had that Cantu ACV Rinse. Maybe God was telling me something.

So, that's it. What I have on hand will suffice. I am not buying any skin, hair, or makeup items besides a full-sized prepoo if the sample is awesome.

If I deviate from the products in my signature, husband gets to TOSS 5 stash products of his choosing in the trash. Toss. Trash. Five.

I'm feeling committed. ;)

Aggie

No store I went to today had that Cantu ACV Rinse. Maybe God was telling me something.

So, that's it. What I have on hand will suffice. I am not buying any skin, hair, or makeup items besides a full-sized prepoo if the sample is awesome.

If I deviate from the products in my signature, husband gets to TOSS 5 stash products of his choosing in the trash. Toss. Trash. Five.

I'm feeling committed. ;)

Whoa :shocked: girlie! That would definitely motivate me to stick to the plan. I could not imagine anyone tossing my hair products in the trash. I know you will do it.

Aggie

By the way, this morning I used up 1 jar of Curl Origin Bamboo Blossom Defining Buttercream and 1 bottle of Bekura Apple and Sorghum Hair Syrup. Stash reduction is another good reason for me to join this challenge.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Whoa :shocked: girlie! That would definitely motivate me to stick to the plan. I could not imagine anyone tossing my hair products in the trash. I know you will do it.

He likely won't do it. :smile: He's just trying to be a good accountability partner. Truthfully, I easily have several sets of 5 products that can go: That natural hair swap group NEVER met, and I was going to donate a box of products.