Seriously considering a Big Chop

Glib Gurl

I am sitting here, running my fingers through about 9 months of new growth and several inches of relaxed ends . . . and I'm honestly thinking of just going ahead and doing a Big Chop.

At first, my plan was to wait until after my brother got married next Spring - that way, even though I'm fat as ever, at least I would still have my long(ish :look:) hair, pressed, of course, for the occasion.

But I'm really getting tired of having to concoct some sort of transitioning hair style every night . . . and these SSKs are killing me. I'm actually thinking that I might look, I daresay, cute in a short curly cut . . . and I also think that maintenance would be easier with it shorter . . .

But I'm skurred.

If I were to big chop, do I have to go to a natural hair salon? Or do you think my regular stylist (who does my relaxers and blowouts) would do it. Could I bring my girls to the salon?

And what if I hate it????

Eeek!

Nonie

@Glib Gurl, put the scissors down and no one gets hurt. :bat:

First do your homework. Find out if your stylist is good at doing natural hair; not ask her if she knows how to--ask to see evidence or examples and use your knowledge to decide if that's something you can deal with. Better yet, why not teach yourself about your own hair? Your siggy quotes me and you need to believe that and make a promise to yourself to work toward being the captain of your own ship; then there'll be no gambling involved where you take a chance with a stylist not knowing if you'll regret it.

Maybe you could do what Njoy did, and just BC a corner of your hair. You can start playing with it. Phony puffs would help hide the relaxed part. Just braid your hair in a plait like this and put on an afro puff over the plait. That way you're not having to wonder how to blend your natura/relaxed hair textures. You can just pretend the relaxed ends don't exist by not seeing them.

Have you been finding out what moisturizes your new growth? Look for threads on how people got through the short phase after a BC? Get styling ideas. Read about the pros/cons of shrinkage. Educate yourself on what natural hair is like. Threads like pros/cons of being natural/relaxed will help.

You could also do what someone like @Allandra did. Trim just a little. I hope she'll come to give you tips of how she did it...but I think that's less of a shock. But yeah, do not do anything rash. Trimming your hair hoping your stylist will have a clue is crazy, so don't you dare!

Last edited:

Glib Gurl

Thank you, Nonie.

I have had a good time experimenting with products and have a pretty good idea of what works well on my head. I'm just so in love with my coils, I want a whole head full of 'em!

But I will do my homework first!

Thank you, girl.

kittenz

GL @Glib ! My only advice is when you do cut, do it yourself. It may not be perfect but you won't cut off all your own progress.

I just BCed on 11/25 and I love it. I thought short hair might make me look bigger but I love it. I also thought I'd have to wear makeup everyday and bigger earrings (i was prepared to do that) but I don't. Today, I went out out bare faced (as bare as I'm willing to be) and wearing post. My short hair is still cute.

naturalmanenyc

OMG!! Please do not do that. I know that you are probably anxious to get rid of the relaxed hair but I would not recommend a big chop right now. When you are used to having longer hair, short hair is a beast to manage. I'd just keep slowly trimming off the relaxed hair until the wedding.

Afrobuttafly

I totally disagree with short hair being hard to manage when you had long hair. It's actually quite easier. When I first big chopped my hair was a breeze. I just put something moist in it, shook it and let the curls do what they do. Or I'd shingle shake & go. As it got long then I just did the same thing but added a headband to create a puff. So simple. I love it. BUT do what Nonie suggested about the HW. If I had not done that, I would have been so lost and not known what to do and it would've indeed been a beast to tend with.

Love Always

That's how I feel too Je Ne Sais Quoi. My sister really struggled with her transition and when she cut it she said she wish she would have done it sooner. I'm in a pickle myself, I'm about to cut within the next couple of weeks and I've been putting it off but I want to get it over with and start from scratch.

Carrie A

When you are ready to cut I say go ahead and do it. You'll know when the urge gets too strong. I disagree with kittenz and think if you do chop get a professional to cut it into a shape. That way you won't grow out a mullet like some of us. Also, if it's in a bob style then you can still press it for the wedding and have a fabulous healthy full of body bob which will look great.

prettybyrd

I'm on the "cut it off" bus. If you want long-ish hair for your brother's wedding next spring, you can get about 2 inches before then (not that that's much) but you have time to learn some styles that you like. Don't fret - cut! :)

kittenz

I don't think I had enough for a bob at 9 months but I'm a total DIYer and my shape is perfect. Of course if you're not or plan to wear your hair straight go to a professional you trust.

On the other hand you can always have it shaped later as it grows if it ever gets to akward mullet stage. I may do this after some growth and lots of research.

Last edited:

Carrie A

I don't think I had enough for a bob at 9 months but I'm a total DIYer and my shape is perfect. Of course if you're not or plan to wear your hair straight go to a professional you trust.

On the other hand you can always have it shaped later as it grows if it ever gets to akward mullet stage. I may do this after so growht and lots of research.

You know I was thinking about that, the bob that is, but a shorter look can be shaped initially too (like shorter on the sides than up top. What kind of shape do you have? That's the only thing I would do differently..... have my hair shaped along the way. I didn't have the skills to do it myself (I'm a DIYer too.) That way she can be carefree and tres chic with little effort for work and work related functions.

ETA: Ok so I changed my mind and say go with kittenz:look: I see what she's saying. You can cut your own ends and then consider getting a style. I don't know if there are any diva curl type salons in DC??

Last edited:

Natty_Virgo

I am thinking I need to shape my hair some kinda way. I would suggest u look up some styles first. I cut off my hair after not perming for 2 mths and loved it but now as it is growing I am a little lost when it comes to finding a cute style.

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

kittenz

You know I was thinking about that, the bob that is, but a shorter look can be shaped initially too (like shorter on the sides then up top. What kind of shape do you have? That's the only thing I would do differently..... have my hair shaped along the way. I didn't have the skills to do it myself (I'm a DIYer too.) That way she can be carefree and tres chic with little effort for work and work related functions.

ETA: Ok so I changed my mind and say go with kittenz:look: I see what she's saying. You can cut your own ends and then consider getting a style. I don't know if there are any diva curl type salons in DC??
My shape...round:look: When I wear my puff it's longer on the top and shorter on the sides. But my hair either grows like that or shrinks like that because it wasn't intentional. I cut on the LoD and was not scarificing ANY length not until I knew what I was working with.

I can see myself wanting it shaped nicely when it starts hanging all kinds of ways. But right now if I comb it out it's perfectly round:lol: like me.

Nope, no Diva Curls in DC that I know of.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

When you are ready to cut I say go ahead and do it. You'll know when the urge gets too strong. I disagree with kittenz and think if you do chop get a professional to cut it into a shape. That way you won't grow out a mullet like some of us. Also, if it's in a bob style then you can still press it for the wedding and have a fabulous healthy full of body bob which will look great.

She may still get the dreaded mullet professional cut or not. My hair always grows faster and looser in the back

CaliiSwagg

Definitely BC when your ready, but don't do it out of emotion. Every one has a different experience after chopping their hair off so I wouldn't worry too much about if you will like it or not.

Whatever you choose us ladies will support.:yep: