Seriously Urgent!!!

Shalilac

I just did a retouch on my moms hair (last relaxer was about 2 months ago). She regularly gets Design relaxers but we used Silk Elements Regular (mixed with a 1/2 of coconut oil). Well while we were rinsing it out, her hair started falling out as well!!! She is shedding terribly! Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know why this might have happened? I'm a licensed cosmetologist and I have never seen this happen with my own 2 eyes before. Ladies, I am a perfectionist when it comes to work so this is killing me!
Also, if anyone knows what we could do to stop it (the shedding) pls feel free to give me any advice!Thanks...
ETA: She's taking a antibiotic for a sinus infection right now (not to mention early menopause). Could any of this be the culprit? I just don't think it was the relaxer.

Inches411

I just did a retouch on my moms hair (last relaxer was about 2 months ago). She regularly gets Design relaxers but we used Silk Elements Regular (mixed with a 1/2 of coconut oil). Well while we were rinsing it out, her hair started falling out as well!!! She is shedding terribly! Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know why this might have happened? I'm a licensed cosmetologist and I have never seen this happen with my own 2 eyes before. Ladies, I am a perfectionist when it comes to work so this is killing me!
Also, if anyone knows what we could do to stop it (the shedding) pls feel free to give me any advice!Thanks...
ETA: She's taking a antibiotic for a sinus infection right now (not to mention early menopause). Could any of this be the culprit? I just don't think it was the relaxer.

sorry to hear. Im just as lost though. I was gonna ask did u neutralize well but then you said ur a licensed cometologist so i was like you must have. What have your experiences been when switching relaxers on a person hair. Has this happened before. Thats the only thing I can think of that caused her hair to shed or it could be the medication but im not doctor so i dont know really.

lovinmylocs

Sorry to hear about your mother - I think the menopause may be a factor. I remember when my mother was going through she would loose hair like it was going out of style. It was the hormones and she wasn't on any hormone replacement therapy either. She should see a dermotologist or her gp if it doesn't let up.

*Happily Me*

hmmmm, i'm going through early menopause and I was shedding, although it's slowed down significantly.:ohwell:

I don't have any advice, but I hope your mom has a speedy scalp recovery.

scoobygirl

I went through this once a few years ago when I switched from no-lye to lye. My stylist didn't think it would be a problem but as he washed the relaxer out I had handfuls of hair coming out. I asked for a thorough trim to get rid of all the breaking hair, but it turns out he had been over-processing my fine hair for years. So 8 weeks later when I got a touch-up I went back to no lye and got a new stylist.

Shalilac

Thank Ladies for all the responses. Her hair actually started coming out while rinsing out the relaxer. We hadn't even gotten to the neutralizing yet! She thinks it's the different relaxers (been using Design for over 4 yrs now). I wanted to make sure we stuck with lye since that's what her stylist uses (I don't practice on a regular basis anymore since having twins. They take up every inch of my time) so we wouldn't have any future problems, then this happened! I have NEVER EVER seen someone lose there hair from swithcing different brands of relaxers but I have seen folks lose their hair when switching from lye to no-lye or vice versa.

NOW ON ANOTHER NOTE: I remember in 2006 when I got my now Rihanna cut, that I told my hubby that I wouldn't go back to her stylist (my moms) if I was deciding to grow my hair out because she combs the relaxer thru to the ends at the very end and she overlaps like crazy. Maybe my moms hair had been overprocessed by her enough? She has fine hair, so maybe like ScoobyGirl, mom's been getting overprocessed for years? I dunno. I will defintely keep folks posted as to what works for her. Thanks again Ladies! :hugs:

KAT25

Big :hug: sorry to hear that maybe you should keep the box that the relaxer was in and contact the company sounds like it could have been a bad relaxer mix..

Last edited:

Shalilac

Big :hugs: sorry to hear that maybe you should keep the box that the relaxer was in and contact the company sounds like it could have been a bad relaxer mix..

You know... that's a good idea. I wanted to try it on a small patch in my hair but I just flatironed today and I know it wouldn't have gone too well LOL. I will defintely do that as well. Maybe they can answer a few questions for me as well.

ETA: Can't seem to find a contact number for them anywhere. Did a search online came up with zilch and the container only has their address.

Last edited:

Isis

Thank Ladies for all the responses. Her hair actually started coming out while rinsing out the relaxer. We hadn't even gotten to the neutralizing yet! She thinks it's the different relaxers (been using Design for over 4 yrs now). I wanted to make sure we stuck with lye since that's what her stylist uses (I don't practice on a regular basis anymore since having twins. They take up every inch of my time) so we wouldn't have any future problems, then this happened! I have NEVER EVER seen someone lose there hair from swithcing different brands of relaxers but I have seen folks lose their hair when switching from lye to no-lye or vice versa.

NOW ON ANOTHER NOTE: I remember in 2006 when I got my now Rihanna cut, that I told my hubby that I wouldn't go back to her stylist (my moms) if I was deciding to grow my hair out because she combs the relaxer thru to the ends at the very end and she overlaps like crazy. Maybe my moms hair had been overprocessed by her enough? She has fine hair, so maybe like ScoobyGirl, mom's been getting overprocessed for years? I dunno. I will defintely keep folks posted as to what works for her. Thanks again Ladies! :hugs:
It's possible it is because of the different relaxers--in my experience they are not the same, even if they are both lye or both no-lye.

Also, what KAT25 said is possible. It could be a bad batch. I also take care to check the expiration date (if there is one) on the box and make sure I purchase the box from a supplier who regularly stocks the item. For example, if I see a layer of dust on it and/or find out that the relaxer isn't sold often at that store, I won't buy it there.

I have an unopened box now of my usual relaxer that I will be returning. I noticed the box corner was ripped open a little and when I look in the hole, the container appears to be dented a little. It may be just fine but since I'll be wondering while I'm using it, I'll be creating an experience of worry rather than relaxation and joy. So for peace of mind, I'm returning or exchanging it.

I hope your mother's hair stops shedding soon. :yep:

KAT25

in an article online for the silken child relaxer recalls I found this number maybe it will work

also try a search on the better business website

Last edited:

LJBFly

Hi Shalilac,

I use Silk Elements and after I relaxed my hair after a long period (2 to 3 months), my hair sheds as I am rinsing out the relaxer.

I attribute this to the fact that as I get deeper into my stretch, I comb my hair less. Therefore, it may be the natural shedding. My hair is not thin or broken off. Although it is time for a trim.

Just a thought.

Ganjababy

If the relaxer was too strong for your Mom's hair adding the oil would have reduced its potency.

I used coconut oil as a prepoo once (had it in my hair for only 20-30 minutes) and my fine hair was falling out a lot when I was rinsing the shampoo and conditioner out:nono: It was coming out without me touching it- with the flow of the water and it was a lot. Enough to form a small mound around the drain and clog it. I found this quite alarming. I then decided to use it as a hairdress as I had this big expensive organic jar that I needed to get rid of:wallbash: This too made my hair fall out from just one small application- my hair was coming off in my palms as I rubbed it in- I have never experienced this before. I think it made my fine hair too soft and weak.

It could be the fact that you mixed the coconut oil with the relaxer. Even if your Mom used coconut oil in her hair before with no adverse reaction, the combination of the relaxer and the coconut oil may have caused her strands to become extremely weak. I too use silk elements (mild-mixed 1/4 with olive oil or cholesterol for texlaxing). So far it is the best relaxer I have used with no bad reactions.

Shalilac

If the relaxer was too strong for your Mom's hair adding the oil would have reduced its potency.

I used coconut oil as a prepoo once (had it in my hair for only 20-30 minutes) and my fine hair was falling out a lot when I was rinsing the shampoo and conditioner out:nono: It was coming out without me touching it- with the flow of the water and it was a lot. Enough to form a small mound around the drain and clog it. I found this quite alarming. I then decided to use it as a hairdress as I had this big expensive organic jar that I needed to get rid of:wallbash: This too made my hair fall out from just one small application- my hair was coming off in my palms as I rubbed it in- I have never experienced this before. I think it made my fine hair too soft and weak.

It could be the fact that you mixed the coconut oil with the relaxer. Even if your Mom used coconut oil in her hair before with no adverse reaction, the combination of the relaxer and the coconut oil may have caused her strands to become extremely weak. I too use silk elements (mild-mixed 1/4 with olive oil or cholesterol for texlaxing). So far it is the best relaxer I have used with no bad reactions.

Oh my gosh! This sounds exactly like how it happened for my mom. It was falling out and clogging the drain! It really messed us up!!! I never thought coconut oil would make her hair fall out! Oh my gosh. So how did you stop it? Ya'll I am so depressed I don't even wanna go to church this morning. For some reason (maybe because you hair looks like my moms, I am thinking this could be it). There are so many dif reasons why this could've happened that I think the only thing I wanna do now is stop it ya know. Man, this is stressful. Thanks again ladies :)

Shalilac

Hi Shalilac,

I use Silk Elements and after I relaxed my hair after a long period (2 to 3 months), my hair sheds as I am rinsing out the relaxer.

I attribute this to the fact that as I get deeper into my stretch, I comb my hair less. Therefore, it may be the natural shedding. My hair is not thin or broken off. Although it is time for a trim.

Just a thought.

It's not regular shedding. It was straight coming out in clumps!!! Luckily she doesn't have any bald spots and her scalp looks okay except in the very front (hairline). We relaxed that part last (even though I don't normally apply relaxer to hairlines) but because my mom is a stickler about getting her hair bone straight I did it anyway. She never listens to my hair tips. :mad: Thanks anyway. :)

wheezy807

It's not regular shedding. It was straight coming out in clumps!!! Luckily she doesn't have any bald spots and her scalp looks okay except in the very front (hairline). We relaxed that part last (even though I don't normally apply relaxer to hairlines) but because my mom is a stickler about getting her hair bone straight I did it anyway. She never listens to my hair tips. :mad: Thanks anyway. :)

I really don't have anything to add but i just wanted to tell you to stay strong and keep your head up. It's a pity that she doesn't listen to your hair advice. If my hair had fallin out i would be grateful to have one of Nikos couisins help grow it back. I would say reach out to her and offer to help her grow it back for x amounts of months (if she's doubtful). What does she think of your haircare journey?

Shalilac

What does she think of your haircare journey?

She thinks I just have better hair than she does! Ugh!

Anyways, it looks as if the cause is no longer a mystery... her hair and scalp just did not agree with the relaxer. She woke up this morning with a few scabs (front hairline:mad:)!!! She uses a lye relaxer at her stylist but this relaxer did not agree with her scalp at all. We based her entire head with petroleum and it's a lucky thing because she probably wouldn't have any hair there if we hadn't. I applied BT to her scalp last night and the shedding has stopped significantly but not completely. No more clumps so I am happy about that. I am gonna ask her if she would let me take care of her hair for a few months (and do what the heck I say) and if she doesn't see improvement, then so be it. She has never listened to me and that's why I USUALLY will not do her hair. I am well known for firing clients who do not listen :lachen: .

wheezy807

She thinks I just have better hair than she does! Ugh!

Anyways, it looks as if the cause is no longer a mystery... her hair and scalp just did not agree with the relaxer. She woke up this morning with a few scabs (front hairline:mad:)!!! She uses a lye relaxer at her stylist but this relaxer did not agree with her scalp at all. We based her entire head with petroleum and it's a lucky thing because she probably wouldn't have any hair there if we hadn't. I applied BT to her scalp last night and the shedding has stopped significantly but not completely. No more clumps so I am happy about that. I am gonna ask her if she would let me take care of her hair for a few months (and do what the heck I say) and if she doesn't see improvement, then so be it. She has never listened to me and that's why I USUALLY will not do her hair. I am well known for firing clients who do not listen :lachen: .

That's wonderful, i wish you two the best of luck and i do know she is in the best of hands (despite this unfortunate event). How sweet, mother and daughter bonding through haircare, lol! Please keep us posted.