Sermon: Christians and Loneliness

loolalooh

Feeling the need to post this for anyone going through loneliness or self isolation. (I remember seeing a couple threads touching this arena.) I'm still in the middle of watching this sermon, but it seems interesting so far. Here's the description:

Loneliness. We all experience it, sometimes even a crowded room where we are reminded that we are not known, pursued, or loved. To not think about our loneliness we gravitate toward endless hours of mind numbing entertainment such as reality television shows featuring people hanging out with their friends while we sit on our couch alone listening to old Cure songs in the dark. Sound familiar? Preaching from Philippians 1-11 Pastor Mark Driscoll explains how the rebels guide to joy is to be found amidst loneliness according to the apostle Paul who was sitting alone penning the truth from his cold, lonely, and dark jail cell.

Here's the sermon:
http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/rebels-guide-to-joy/the-rebels-guide-to-joy-in-loneliness

Share your thoughts if you please.

momi

I will have to check this out. I find myself feeling this way sometimes...

I have to remind myself that since I have chosen the narrow gate I have to be prepared for times like this.

Loolalooh, thank you very much for posting this. I have to admit, this is definitely right on time. I'm still trying to get through the whole video.

loolalooh

It's difficult, but I'm learning to cope. Especially with not having friends in the area.

I know the feeling. My family and BFF is 1000+ miles away so I'm pretty much 'physically' alone here. I stay in touch with them via telephone like Paul did the Philipians with a letter from jail.

I like that the pastor explained friendships based on affinity vs vicinity vs Gospel partnership. (I forget the word he used for the latter; I think it was partnership.) It's something I'll use to discern new friendships in the future. One thing I notice is that I feel most lonely when friendships die, and these friendships are usually based on affinity or vicinity. Friendships (and even relationships) based on Gospel partnership are much stronger. My problem is finding such friendships given the world in which we live ... in which people are quick not to forgive, not to repent, and not to have grace. In the mean time, I'll hold onto my family and BFF from a distance.