Serums & Condition Washes- Is a Leave-in Necessary?

♦K.O♦

Hi ladies,

I'm new to serums (at least using them the proper way) and I have a couple of questions. I tried a serum for the first time last night and I am in love. I did a deep condition on my hair and rinsed and applied the serum. After I applied the serum I put my hair into two braids. This morning my hair is gorgeous, shiny, soft, and dry! It usually takes forever for my hair to dry and I am sure that not applying a leave-in is responsible for this. Last week I tried going without a leave-in after condition washing and my hair hated it and dried hard.

When you use your serum, do you always apply a leave-in? And if you dont, does your hair subsequently accept your moisturizers? Or does the hair dry out because the serum seals the cuticle?

If I'm heat styling, I'll use my leave-in first, then my serum. For a cowash, I don't bother with serums because I do them so often. I actually stopped bothering with leave-ins too and starting using whatever condish I cowashed with. HTH.

If I'm heat styling, I'll use my leave-in first, then my serum. For a cowash, I don't bother with serums because I do them so often. I actually stopped bothering with leave-ins too and starting using whatever condish I cowashed with. HTH.

:yep::yep: I really don't use LI's when I cw and wet bun. I use full strength conditioners bec air drying can take a toll on my hair. Full srtrength cons keep my hair soft. :yep: I tried an Aveda serum and wasn't too impressed with its effect on my wet hair. :ohwell:

haha
i was going to come here and ask a similar question about sealing with serums after washes. but now that you've done it for me...

i say still go ahead and use a leave-in conditioner. the serum should be the last thing that goes on your head after washing. so wash, condition, rinse, apply leave-in, then apply serum.
i've been using serums since last november, and have never had any sort of issues with dryness. BUT i do deep condition at EVERY wash, and i wash every 2 - 3 days. :grin:

Back