Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
lulu97

I bought the extra wide ones. I had the wide and long that give the more tight spiral curl look and hated them. I just didn't like the look on me so someone took them off my hands in the exchange.

I however am excited about these. The curls are much more like a traditional set

Thanks Lady! I will def be buying those exact ones next time I'm in Sally's. Just as you, I prefer big curls. Can't wait to see how your set turns out!

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Boo to sleeping overnight. If I end up staying home today I will leave them in, but come bed time it may be a no go

I did a CF set on my DD who is natural. I let her sit under the pibbs kwik dri and her hair was completely dry and looked fabulous! Unfortunately she didn't shower beforehand and so I told her to just wash up in the shower, y'll know how we do it. She couldn't have been in there more than 10 minutes plus I kept the bath door open. When she came out, her soft, bouncy curls were a big blog of big hair, lol. I saw it before she did so she walked out The bathroom all proud of her hair and when I finally told her to look in the mirror, it took everything in me not to ROTFLOL!! She was soo shocked, upset and just cried :-(. We ended up doing a cute big and bouncy fro and she was thrilled again. I believe it was that the curl didn't set all the way even though her hair was dry. Next time she'll sleep in them.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Blairx0

Shock shock the curlformers were not uncomfortable to sleep on at all. When I had the extra long set they were a pain. I had to use Damn near 50 and I hated it. But I think because I have the extra wide set now it is so much better. I needed less than 30 and because of the sleeping on them was a breeze. I still have them in and I will take them out when I am forced to leave the house.

KiaKakes

Awwwh poor thing but I love the CF they produce such beautiful curls I enjoy using them deep in my stretch and ur right they're not to bad to sleep in

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I finally put my curlformers in. I used 33 of the 40. I sprayed a little Infusium 23 LI and then applied DE stretching cream and DE gel to each section b4 applying the curlformers. I alternated between the pink and orange. Here's what my head looks like b4 and after applying. I will update the reveal tomorrow when I take them out...not looking forward to sleeping on these!

20131213_211520-1.jpg

ForumRunner_20131213_223715.jpg

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

Blairx0

I finally put my curlformers in. I used 33 of the 40. I sprayed a little Infusium 23 LI and then applied DE stretching cream and DE gel to each section b4 applying the curlformers. I alternated between the pink and orange. Here's what my head looks like b4 and after applying. I will update the reveal tomorrow when I take them out...not looking forward to sleeping on these!

HPG

Can't wait to see your results! I'm taking mine out tomorrow too!

shortt29

Kudos to you ladies sleeping in CF! The one night I tried, I was miserable. Now I sit under the dryer with them

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Ummm yeah didn't get much sleep last night. I have never slept this uncomfortably with a hair style in my life. I WILL NEVER SLEEP in these darn things again...EVER!!!

Anyway I just took them down but haven't seperated and styled them yet. Im going to see if they drop some b4 I do that. Also the DE left my hair silky and not a lot of hold like I thought. Next time I will use Ecostyler gel. And my ends on some of them didn't do too well. Its like instead of them going through smooth they were still trying to curl up in my normal curling pattern while inside the curlformer. Anyway this was a lot better than my traditional rollerset failure lol. Sorry for the blurry pics my son took.

ForumRunner_20131214_073402.jpg

ForumRunner_20131214_073422.jpg

HPG

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Current hair length: BSL, but I will trim/cut before Jan.

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Transitioning

Current Setting method and styling choices: Curlformer set done once or twice a week.

Current Setting products: undecided

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: continue transitioning

How long do you plan to set?: all year and next year until I big chop.

Post a beginning picture: Dec 23, 5inch cutWP_000610.jpg

WP_000620.jpg

Last edited:

GettingKinky

Ladies do any of you work out and have your roller set survive? I workout every morning but I want my curls to last. I don't mind if my roots get puffy.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Soooo my set did not last but a day. I cowashed my hair and back in twists for a twistout. I knew it wasn't going to last though bc I didnt have a product with hold. Next time I will use Ecostyler gel.

HPG

GettingKinky

I just ponytail set my hair. I don't think I'm getting my texlaxed hair taut enough on the roller. I'm pretty sure it's not going to come out smooth. Next time I'll use more rollers so there is less hair per roller and maybe bigger rollers, but I want curls. . Any other suggestions for getting texlaxed hair smooth on the rollers?

davisbr88

Current hair length: Not sure... the last time I checked was in August, but I think I'm a little past APL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural

Current Setting method and styling choices:
Setting on extra long and wide curlformers and either flat ironing the roots on a low temperature, or doing a bun-out for waves.
During the week my hair is in some sort of updo.

Current Setting products:
It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In and One n' Only Argan Oil

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve:
Getting faster with putting in the rollers!
Keeping my ends healthy by avoiding heat on the ends!

How long do you plan to set?: I started yesterday, and plan to set every 2 weeks until the end of the challenge

Yesterday's set:

My setting process is here.

I will post a length check around the end of the month.

Last edited:

ckisland

Current hair length: grazing APL at the moment, but I'll be SL once I get it cut.

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Relaxed

Current Setting method and styling choices:I'll mainly be doing 8-12 flexirods, but I also want to do ponytail rollersets. I'll wear ponytails and my hair clipped up, also some braid/flattwist styles.

Current Setting products: EDW Curl Defining Creme. I'll be experimenting to find a good serum and foam wrap

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: A easy, breezy regimen that gets me to WL :lol:. I also want to maintain healthy ends after I get them cut.

How long do you plan to set?: I plan to set once a week on wash day. I'll have to figure out how to maintain my hair at night.

Post a beginning picture: I'll post a pic after I get it cut this week!

Last edited:

Lady Esquire

Current hair length: WL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Relaxed

Current Setting method and styling choices: Grey magnetic rollers. 2-3 large flexi rods at night.

Current Setting products: Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, Tresemme Keratin Smooth Heat Protection Shine Spray, and Nairobi Wrapp-It Shine Foaming Lotion (on its way!)

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Waist length hair while curly. Smooth, healthy ends.

How long do you plan to set?: Once a week, all year.

Starting pic:

BEAUTIFUL!!!! :love:

GettingKinky

Went to the shop but didn't watch any YouTube videos. I'm not sure how one would secure them. Are they basically like hard flexi rods

They are like hard flexirods. You are supposed to secure them with a bobby pin. Since they are non-porous and vented they should dry faster than flexirods.

I think if I'm still rollersetting in March I will buy them.

GettingKinky

My set survived the night and my morning workout. I slept and worked out in a high ponytail with my hair rolled on small satin foam rollers. It looks ok wearing half up half down but the top 2-3 inches is very crinkly. I'm going to try a regular rollerset instead of ponytails, but not the mohawk for some reason that intimidates me.

I'm wearing it half up and I like the way the back looks. The front is just ok.

Attachments

• image-3002886720.jpg
    image-3002886720.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 90

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Took out my senegalese twists after almost 10 weeks!
Deep conditioned overnight with SD Avocado Pudding
Washed and conditioned with CD Monoi combo
Sectioned hair in 4
Used CD Monoi Anti Breakage Spray as a leave in and one pump of CD Macadamia serum on each section before roller setting

I have learned that liquid leave in's lead to lighter and bouncier sets. It cuts drying time down as well. I have since moisturized with CD Hair balm, finger combed the curls out and put them in 3 big bantu knots until tomorrow.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
GettingKinky

Not 100% sure because I threw away the packaging when I purchased them a while ago but I'll include a picture of them. I purchased them from Sally's. I think the pink ones are 1 1/4 inch maybe? I like to use a combo of both sizes for my sets.

Last edited:

GettingKinky

GettingKinky

Not 100% sure because I threw away the packaging when I purchased them a while ago but I'll include a picture of them. I purchased them from Sally's. I think the pink ones are 1 1/4 inch maybe?

I have the pink ones from Sally's. Mine are 1 1/8". I love that size. I used a few 1 1/2" in my last set and they weren't curly enough for me. I think I need to buy a few more packs so I can do a normal roller set.

brownb83

Took out my senegalese twists after almost 10 weeks!
Deep conditioned overnight with SD Avocado Pudding
Washed and conditioned with CD Monoi combo
Sectioned hair in 4
Used CD Monoi Anti Breakage Spray as a leave in and one pump of CD Macadamia serum on each section before roller setting

I have learned that liquid leave in's lead to lighter and bouncier sets. It cuts drying time down as well. I have since moisturized with CD Hair balm, finger combed the curls out and put them in 3 big bantu knots until tomorrow.

You are so pretty!!!