Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

ckisland

Ladies this rollersets have me drooling :love: . Everyone's hair is so gorgeous!!!!

I need to go out and buy some magnetic rollers and some kind of bonnet dryer. I was trying to be lazy but now I want to do a real rollerset, maybe even try a wrap afterwards :yep:

brownb83

brownb83 Awwwww thanks...that's so nice for a 5 month pregnant lady to hear when I'm feeling fat and not so nice looking. *skips away cheesing with tears of joy*

Lol welcome! I thought about that! I was like she preggers looking good, let me tell her cause a pregnant woman needs every compliment. I remember.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Took out my senegalese twists after almost 10 weeks!
Deep conditioned overnight with SD Avocado Pudding
Washed and conditioned with CD Monoi combo
Sectioned hair in 4
Used CD Monoi Anti Breakage Spray as a leave in and one pump of CD Macadamia serum on each section before roller setting

I have learned that liquid leave in's lead to lighter and bouncier sets. It cuts drying time down as well. I have since moisturized with CD Hair balm, finger combed the curls out and put them in 3 big bantu knots until tomorrow.

Another gorgeous set Lu!

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

GettingKinky

My curls are still doing well but my roots are another story.

How do you ladies place your rollers to get straight roots? Especially you natural and texlaxed ladies. Do I have to conquer the Mohawk set to get my roots straight?

Attachments

• image-639808275.jpg
    image-639808275.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 79
  • image-1151123804.jpg
    image-1151123804.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 82

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
^^^^^ I can get my roots pretty straight but not flat iron/pressed straight. I don't do the mohawk method, I section my hair in the direction I want it to fall. I roll up for most rollers and then for the top, I roll down...always using a lot of tension. To get the roots even straighter, after the rollers are out I apply even more tension by putting my hair in 3 bantu knots. This will stretch the roots out even more but change the way the curls look which I don't mind. HTH

Lilmama1011

I'm always wearing sets, is a braid out or twist out with perm rods considered a set? (I don't think it is) but I just jumped on that board with that, but usually I'm wearing flexi rods....

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
The result of putting in 3 bantu knots to maintain my roller set from yesterday. I didnt use any product except Hicks for my edges. I normally wear my hair down for 2 days then a ponytail or bun for a few days. Then I'll do a braid out and repeat the cycle..wear down 2 days then ponytail or bun until it's time to re wash.

Last edited:

sharifeh

The result of putting in 3 bantu knots to maintain my roller set from yesterday. I didnt use any product except Hicks for my edges. I normally wear my hair down for 2 days then a ponytail or bun for a few days. Then I'll do a braid out and repeat the cycle..wear down 2 days then ponytail or bun until it's time to re wash.

lulu97
Your edges look perfect !
Did you brush them down with a brush?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
sharifeh Thanks! I dip my pointer finger in the edge control and just kind of dab it on. Then I'll take a small tooth comb and comb it through while using my thumb on the other hand to chase the comb and smooth it down. I saw my stylist use that technique so I copied her. lol

GettingKinky

Satin covered foam rollers are awesome. So easy to sleep in and they work well without drying out my hair. I think I need to experiment more with sizes. My 1 1/2" are too big and my 5/8" are maybe a wee bit too small. I am definitely turning into a roller junkie. I just hope I can stick with roller setting all year.

GettingKinky

I think today is the last day of my roller set. It stil looks ok from the back but it's starting to get frizzy and undefined.

I think I'll braid it tonight and see how the braidout turns out.

Attachments

• image-2914476353.jpg
    image-2914476353.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 99

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I think today is the last day of my roller set. It stil looks ok from the back but it's starting to get frizzy and undefined. I think I'll braid it tonight and see how the braidout turns out.

Ummm this is what you call frizzy and undefined!?! I will take it...your hair is beautiful and could go like 5 days from the looks of it.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
This is what is lurking up under my roller set. My roots never get super straight but they are tolerable enough for me. Also this is after they have pretty much reverted which brings me to the next phase of my roller set life. I've braided my hair in 3 braids and will take them out on Christmas morning to rock a braid out since I don't have anything to do except cook until then.

I've been pumping myself up to attempt a flexi rod set when I wash next week...even purchased the carols daughter foam...but the more I think about it, the more I don't want to do it. I think I'm going to stick with my normal roller sets until my next senegalese twists install in Jan and MAYBE after they come out months down the line, I'll work on flexi rod sets. We will see.

Last edited:

GettingKinky

This is my ponytail roller set 6 days in after working out 6 times. Since it's mostly reverted it has no bounce or shine, but the bonelaxed ends still held their curl. It's just a big puffy cloud. It reminds me of what my hair looked like as a kid. I'm not sure if I like it.

Attachments

• image-3466270690.jpg
    image-3466270690.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 104
  • image-805293034.jpg
    image-805293034.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 84
  • image-2924540230.jpg
    image-2924540230.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Blairx0

This is my ponytail roller set 6 days in after working out 6 times. Since it's mostly reverted it has no bounce or shine, but the bonelaxed ends still held their curl. It's just a big puffy cloud. It reminds me of what my hair looked like as a kid. I'm not sure if I like it.

I don' t like it... I love it!

Blairx0

Thinking about doing a curlformers set +flat iron for Christmas. Anyone falt iron post curlformers with tips or results?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
My curls are still doing well but my roots are another story.

How do you ladies place your rollers to get straight roots? Especially you natural and texlaxed ladies. Do I have to conquer the Mohawk set to get my roots straight?

If you roll the hair perpendicular to the scalp you will get flatter roots. I hope that makes sense. Also roll up instead of down. I am able to get straight roots with just a rollerset.

GettingKinky

If you roll the hair perpendicular to the scalp you will get flatter roots. I hope that makes sense. Also roll up instead of down. I am able to get straight roots with just a rollerset.

I think I understand. I'm going to try again tomorrow so I guess I'll find out.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly

You blended it well so you are the only one that noticed ;)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
It's taking all the will power I have inside my body not to open this new steamer and get a session and roller set in. I know good and well I'm not gonna make it till next week though...not with this steamer calling my name....I mean it's just staring at me.:lachen:

Blairx0

It's taking all the will power I have inside my body not to open this new steamer and get a session and roller set in. I know good and well I'm not gonna make it till next week though...not with this steamer calling my name....I mean it's just staring at me.:lachen:

Don't make Santa mad!!!

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I'm trying so hard not to join too many challenges, but this one is calling my name. I'm going to use Curlformers in the new year to stretch my hair befor I style it.

Current hair length: SL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural

Current Setting method and styling choices: Curlformers

Current Setting products: Oyin Hair Dew

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Finding a product to get a smoother set with hold. Maintaining the set for longer than a day.

How long do you plan to set?: Occasionally on the weekends throughout the year. I wear wigs during the week, so it is a weekend thing right now.

Post a beginning picture. I'll be back with one after my next set. All of the ones I currently have are from back when I was relaxed or transitioning. I haven't bothered to take pics lately.

Blairx0

Welcome @uofmpather! Who knows Mayve you will like your sets so much you won't wear wigs all week long

GettingKinky

So I set my hair without ponytails and it took me 50 minutes to put in 29 rollers. I had to redo so many because hair kept falling off the edges. I have to remember to keep my sections narrow. If I can't get this time down to 30 minutes roller setting may not be for me. Sigh. Next time I'll try quadrants instead of Mohawk.

ETA I think I need to use clips to hold the rollers instead of the caps if I really want to get my roots straight. But the caps are pretty easy to use and the clips look hard.

Last edited: