Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I couldn't resist...the new steamer made me cave in and wash!!!!! lol

For the texlaxed and natural ladies needing help with getting the roots straight...I thought I'd include some pics of my roller placement and a few tips that have helped me.
1) I roll up except the small area that's going to show at the crown. Today I went for a middle part. I started from the back using my larger rollers (pink) and worked my way up to the crown and switched to a size smaller (orange). This will also help the curls showcase your layers if you have them like I do.
2) I always roll my edges separate. They stretch out more that way because I'm not trying to force them into the bigger rollers.
3) The wetter the hair, the smoother the results so I drench each section with water before I roll it....especially the roots.
4) I use the Diane magnetic rollers with the snap ons as they are the sturdiest ones I've found. I still secure them with the silver clips. This aids in keeping the roots stretched as well.

Other news...this steamer is bomb.com. I want to test it out more, so I'm going to commit to steaming and roller setting weekly. Might as well pamper and play in my hair since it will be back in twists the last week of Jan.

Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
So I set my hair without ponytails and it took me 50 minutes to put in 29 rollers. I had to redo so many because hair kept falling off the edges. I have to remember to keep my sections narrow. If I can't get this time down to 30 minutes roller setting may not be for me. Sigh. Next time I'll try quadrants instead of Mohawk. ETA I think I need to use clips to hold the rollers instead of the caps if I really want to get my roots straight. But the caps are pretty easy to use and the clips look hard.

I don't do ponytail sets but I do rollerset. I learned recently that the Mohawk method doesn't work as well for me either. Your hair is so dense I'm not surprised you had the trouble, you can blame that on mommy or daddy :). I wish I had that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Does anyone use sponge rollers?

I tried using magnetic rollers and it was an epic fail on my tightly coily hair. I haven't given up yet but it's definitely going to take some practice.

Blairx0

I tried using magnetic rollers and it was an epic fail on my tightly coily hair. I haven't given up yet but it's definitely going to take some practice.

I haven't used sponge rollers because I fear drying. I am natural and have had good luck with traditional rollers, but it is still a work in progress. Are you using covers?

Blairx0

lulu97

Your set looks great. It looks like you made very clean parts. While I have no logic to support this, I think clear, clean parts make a huge difference!

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Thanks for replying!

You fear drying? I don't understand.

I haven't used covers. I used roller pins. Do covers help?
When I rolled my hair, I mimed my favorite YT vids (and some pics from on here) but poorly. Lol. My rollers were tight--- like to the point that my roots were *straight*--- but the length of my hair was just a mess. Even my ends were all nubby. :-(

I haven't used sponge rollers because I fear drying. I am natural and have had good luck with traditional rollers, but it is still a work in progress. Are you using covers?

Blairx0

Thanks for replying!

You fear drying? I don't understand.

I haven't used covers. I used roller pins. Do covers help?
When I rolled my hair, I mimed my favorite YT vids (and some pics from on here) but poorly. Lol. My rollers were tight--- like to the point that my roots were *straight*--- but the length of my hair was just a mess. Even my ends were all nubby. :-(

I mean I worry about the sponge absorbing too much liquid and my hair drying out. I used covers but it takes clean parting and even tension to get good results, I think. I say this but I still need a lot of practice. Here are my sets

ForumRunner_20131222_182534.jpg

ForumRunner_20131222_182614.jpg

ForumRunner_20131222_182636.jpg

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Thanks for pics! Your set is leagues ahead of mine! Lol. I'm going to try again next month.

I mean I worry about the sponge absorbing too much liquid and my hair drying out. I used covers but it takes clean parting and even tension to get good results, I think. I say this but I still need a lot of practice. Here are my sets

GettingKinky

lulu97 I can't wait until my sets look as neat as yours. This was my first attempt at a non ponytail set.
I can't see what I'm doing in the back and it just looks crazy.

Attachments

• image-522991456.jpg
    image-522991456.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 71
  • image-4177303349.jpg
    image-4177303349.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 57
  • image-691341240.jpg
    image-691341240.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 72

GettingKinky

I finally took the rollers out after about 5 hours. 1.5 hours under my not-so-good dryer. All but one roller was dry.

My roots are definitely better than my ponytail rollerset and the curl goes farther up my hair. I think I may not need to buy the strawllers, but I still might.

I will definitely try again sometime in January (or maybe February)

Attachments

• image-2358057885.jpg
    image-2358057885.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 110
  • image-4258219677.jpg
    image-4258219677.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 93
  • image-2948789798.jpg
    image-2948789798.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 93

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I finally took the rollers out after about 5 hours. 1.5 hours under my not-so-good dryer. All but one roller was dry. My roots are definitely better than my ponytail rollerset and the curl goes farther up my hair. I think I may not need to buy the strawllers, but I still might. I will definitely try again sometime in January (or maybe February)

GORGEOUS!!! The shine and fullness is everything!!

Napp

Ms. Nobody

kxlot79 have you tried mesh rollers? They grip the hair better than magnetics. I think they are better for naturals and transitioners with a lot of newgrowth

GettingKinky

GettingKinky

That is gorgeous! Such Shine. What products did you use.

Thanks Blairx0. I use Chi Silk Infusion and LottaBody 1:3 dilution

GettingKinky

Do you color your hair?

Saludable84 I get tinted glosses every 8 weeks. This treatment is only 2 weeks old so it's still very shiny. It keeps the greys covered for awhile. I usually get black or black mixed with burgundy. I think next time I may try pure burgundy. The black is a bit too black.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I've never used mesh rollers. TBH, they look kinda scary and I haven't seen anybody else on the forum using them.
Have you ever used mesh rollers?

kxlot79 have you tried mesh rollers? They grip the hair better than magnetics. I think they are better for naturals and transitioners with a lot of newgrowth

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Lol. Maybe it's just the ones I've seen IRL but they always have pieces of the wire/metal/mesh sticking out and the edges are bumpy &/or the lining isn't smooth.
Considering I just started roller setting my natural hair with non-curl formers this month, the idea of those things snagging in my hair or ripping my hair is very intimidating and *scary*
When I did a google image search, I saw some that looked a bit sturdier/less hazardous but a bit out of my budget for such an unlikely experiment.

I actually used the Velcro ones on my relaxed hair though. Then again, I didn't know any better, but they didn't seem damaging. I'd be too leery to try them on my natural hair though.

i saw old school people use them, what's so scary about them, its not like its Velcro

Lissa0821

Current hair length: Shoulder
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Relaxed
Current Setting method and styling choices: Green, Black, Red magnetic rollers, purple, blue and orange flexi rods
Current Setting products: Nairobi wrap foam, Nene's Secret Leave In Conditioner, Sunflower seed oil
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Shorten the time it takes to put in my rollers
How long do you plan to set?: All year long
Post a beginning picture:

Attachments

• IMG_20131212_234626.jpg
    IMG_20131212_234626.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20131220_053102.jpg
    IMG_20131220_053102.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20131220_053633.jpg
    IMG_20131220_053633.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 79

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I've never used mesh rollers. TBH, they look kinda scary and I haven't seen anybody else on the forum using them.
Have you ever used mesh rollers?

I LOVE mesh rollers! The red plastic ones are my fave but I also have some of the conici rollers I have yet to try.

Here are old pics of how smooth it gets my hair

I just used one of my fave leave in novex argan oil and that was it

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
GettingKinky

No, I love it. That's why I asked. It looks like a really good rinse. Makes we wanna run back to black, but since I process less with relaxers, my hair doesn't accept rinses as well as when I used to relax bone straight.

I'm still going to try it!

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I LOVE mesh rollers! The red plastic ones are my fave but I also have some of the conici rollers I have yet to try.

Here are old pics of how smooth it gets my hair

I just used one of my fave leave in novex argan oil and that was it

I forgot I had these! I used to use them all the time with my relaxed hair. I'll have to try them with my natural hair.

GettingKinky

I use sponge roller at night to preserve my curl. But I have the kind that are covered in satin so they don't dry out my hair. They work really well.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Those look a lot less intimidating than the ones I usually see. I don't believe I've ever seen plastic ones like that before. Thanks for sharing! Did you get those from a regular BSS or did you have to order them from online?

I LOVE mesh rollers! The red plastic ones are my fave but I also have some of the conici rollers I have yet to try. Here are old pics of how smooth it gets my hair I just used one of my fave leave in novex argan oil and that was it

GettingKinky

GettingKinky

No, I love it. That's why I asked. It looks like a really good rinse. Makes we wanna run back to black, but since I process less with relaxers, my hair doesn't accept rinses as well as when I used to relax bone straight.

I'm still going to try it!

The rinse doesn't cover my grey as well when I don't get a texlax touch up. When I get a touch up the color lasts for 8 weeks. When I don't get a touch up I'm lucky if it lasts 6. I like the black, but it's a bit too monochromatic, it looks a little unnatural that's why I'm going to try burgundy next time. Or 75% burgundy 25% black.

Napp seeing how smooth you got your hair with mesh rollers makes me want to get some. I just can't decide if I should get plastic or wire. The wire seem like they may last longer.