Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

GettingKinky

I know you all are probably sick of my post and pictures by now, but I has to show you the final results of my first real roller set. :)

I slept with my hair in 2 ponytails and 5/8" satin covered foam rollers and I even worked out this morning. I can't believe how curly it still is. I just need to make this last until Christmas.

Attachments

• image-2838431412.jpg
    image-2838431412.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 87
  • image-2221246633.jpg
    image-2221246633.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I know you all are probably sick of my post and pictures by now, but I has to show you the final results of my first real roller set. :)

I slept with my hair in 2 ponytails and 5/8" satin covered foam rollers and I even worked out this morning. I can't believe how curly it still is. I just need to make this last until Christmas.

Girl please we never get tired of gorgeous hair!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing

Beautiful! Girl, I'll never get tired of pictures. I'm a visual person so I prefer people to show me instead of always talking about what they do. Keep the pics coming!

Blairx0

Got a head full of curlformers and I'm under the dryer. I tried to make my sections smaller, so I used 31 instead of 26 like last time. I plan to flat iron after I take these out

tatiana

Current hair length: Chin length but my nape is longer
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural
Current Setting method and styling choices: I have several kinds of rollers.
Current Setting products: Lottabody until I find something better
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Be good at setting my hair with different kinds of rollers
How long do you plan to set?: Once a week for 8 months; I doubt I will roller set over the summer.
Post a beginning picture I will post picture before new year.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Those look a lot less intimidating than the ones I usually see. I don't believe I've ever seen plastic ones like that before. Thanks for sharing! Did you get those from a regular BSS or did you have to order them from online?

I got them in a well stocked beauty supply store.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Okay I know I'm in thus challenge but I couldn't help myself and did my baby's hair using the curlformers. I wanted to see how they would look and it came out beautifully. I haven't seperated them or anything. I used Soultanicals Muru and then applied BASK 7 fold butter and JR Nurish and Shine. I used 103 rollers and let her sit under the dryer on medium heat for 25 minutes and then hair dried for 2 hours after that. I left 2 rollers in bc they weren't dry yet.

ForumRunner_20131224_152002.jpg

ForumRunner_20131224_152017.jpg

ForumRunner_20131224_152040.jpg

ForumRunner_20131224_152054.jpg

Blairx0

Okay I know I'm in thus challenge but I couldn't help myself and did my baby's hair using the curlformers. I wanted to see how they would look and it came out beautifully. I haven't seperated them or anything. I used Soultanicals Muru and then applied BASK 7 fold butter and JR Nurish and Shine. I used 103 rollers and let her sit under the dryer on medium heat for 25 minutes and then hair dried for 2 hours after that. I left 2 rollers in bc they weren't dry yet.

Gorgeous! But how on the world could you get her to sit through 103 rollers? I am struggling with 30+

GettingKinky

Her hair looks great! How long did it take to put in 103 curlformers?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Wore a half up half down set for Christmas. The night before I moisturized then used a finger tip of Kinky Curly Custard on each section before doing 4 bantu knots. It came out soft and bouncy with a little hold.

Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Wore a half up half down set for Christmas. The night before I moisturized then used a finger tip of Kinky Curly Custard on each section before doing 4 bantu knots. It came out soft and bouncy with a little hold.

This is lovely!!! I wish my second day hair looks this good.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie

Wow, looks soo pretty! Curlformers are a God send for natural hair and especially for the little ladies!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
This is lovely!!! I wish my second day hair looks this good.

Thanks but girl those bantu knots were 3rd day. My 2nd day hair was a hot fluffy mess. I went to sleep in a high bun without doing anything to it...but at least now I know that I must set it some kind of way if I plan on wearing it down. Don't laugh at what you are about to see.:nono: I know it may not seem that bad but I like a more tame sleek look so this was a no go for me.

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Now that I have a new dryer i was finally able to set my hair. I used my largest mesh roller and the snap on caps. the caps really make a difference on my hair and getting the roots smooth. Now that i am fully natural I will never set without them.

It took me less than 30 minutes to set my whole head! I thought i was a bit rusty but setting hair like riding a bicycle. Once you learn you never forget!

Attachments

• dec%252013%2520length%2520check%2520010.jpg
    dec%252013%2520length%2520check%2520010.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 78
  • dec%252013%2520length%2520check%2520012.jpg
    dec%252013%2520length%2520check%2520012.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 93
  • dec%252013%2520length%2520check%2520013.jpg
    dec%252013%2520length%2520check%2520013.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 85

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Now that I have a new dryer i was finally able to set my hair. I used my largest mesh roller and the snap on caps. the caps really make a difference on my hair and getting the roots smooth. Now that i am fully natural I will never set without them. It took me less than 30 minutes to set my whole head! I thought i was a bit rusty but setting hair like riding a bicycle. Once you learn you never forget!

Looks really nice...wow under 30 minutes!?! I wish I could do that but I'm just sticking to my curlformers.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I want to try mesh rollers to get my roots straighter but I'm worried because they are mesh. I know I need to get over myself, but I'm still scared.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Napp

Are you still doing bkt? I feel behind on your blog, but your wets as always look great!

thanks! i havent done a bkt for a while. i just straighten my hair once a month, i plan on going back to them in 2014 though. my blog need to be updated. i have been so busy with school I havent been able to attend to it.

Lissa0821

The Mohawk method of roller setting just doesn't seem to work for me. I always end up with tight curls in the middle and loose curls on both sides in the back. For some reason I can never get enough tension on the sides with the middle row of rollers is done first. Not sure why......:ohwell:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
So I've been craving straight hair since I took my senegalese twists out however my regular stylist is STILL on freaking maternity leave and will be until late February. So I took the plunge, borrowed my step daughter's flat iron and did it myself. Surprisingly it went really well being that I haven't straightened my own hair in years! The results were ok..I sho nuff prefer my salon results to this and above else my roller sets to pressed/straight hair anyway. So nope, I'll continue to leave the heat up to my stylist.

I was pincurling as I went so I'll see what it looks like tomorrow. I did a total of 5 pincurls.

Oh I rollerset first then flat ironed letting the pre-sectioned hair from the rollers be my guide. I did 2-3 passes on the roots and 1 on the length.

Last edited:

brownb83

So I've been craving straight hair since I took my senegalese twists out however my regular stylist is STILL on freaking maternity leave and will be until late February. So I took the plunge, borrowed my step daughter's flat iron and did it myself. Surprisingly it went really well being that I haven't straightened my own hair in years! The results were ok..I sho nuff prefer my salon results to this and above else my roller sets to pressed/straight hair anyway. So nope, I'll continue to leave the heat up to my stylist.

I was pincurling as I went so I'll see what it looks like tomorrow. I did a total of 5 pincurls.

Oh I rollerset first then flat ironed letting the pre-sectioned hair from the rollers be my guide. I did 2-3 passes on the roots and 1 on the length.

So thick and pretty!!

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I'm going to join this challenge for dd and myself. We always set and when that wears out, we bun. We had a hard time last year and lost a lot of length when we moved to TX, so we're still trying to get that back. We hardly ever straighten, so I'll post a starting pic once the set falls nearly straight.