Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Blairx0

amber815

Now I use my leave in, Darcy's daily leave in and flax seed gel to set. Less is better for me. i am low po so back when I was using jane carter wrap and roll, the shea moisture foam and so on down the list i used to get flakes and breakage after my hair rejected it during the drying process. I talk about some of my struggles early on here: http://herampersandhim.com/2014/02/07/natural-hair-rollersetting-from-failure-to-success/
but basically some sections of my hair could handle the foams, but my ends could not. The foams hardened my ends and that mixed with the tension was a no go.

Blairx0

Babygrowth
cute! How would you rate your bantu knot out on an old rollerset vs. wet. Do you think the definition is different? I am thinking of making this a summer look, but I wonder if it is worth learning how to do bantu knots.

Babygrowth

Babygrowth
cute! How would you rate your bantu knot out on an old rollerset vs. wet. Do you think the definition is different? I am thinking of making this a summer look, but I wonder if it is worth learning how to do bantu knots.

Thanks! To me my hair was smoother and easier to handle. The definition is better on wet hair but my hair is softer and more moisturized now because I set it. I will continue to do it both ways especially if I do a midweek cowash DC session. But I prefer it on a old rollerset.

faithVA

[USER said:
Blairx0;20019295[/USER]]amber815

Now I use my leave in, Darcy's daily leave in and flax seed gel to set. Less is better for me. i am low po so back when I was using jane carter wrap and roll, the shea moisture foam and so on down the list i used to get flakes and breakage after my hair rejected it during the drying process. I talk about some of my struggles early on here: http://herampersandhim.com/2014/02/07/natural-hair-rollersetting-from-failure-to-success/
but basically some sections of my hair could handle the foams, but my ends could not. The foams hardened my ends and that mixed with the tension was a no go.

Do you have any theories why the foams hardened your ends. I only have one foam which is the Nubian Heritage and I have yet to use it.

GettingKinky

Just bought 24 1 3/4" magnetic rollers. They look huge!

I'm 95% sure I'm going to set tomorrow. I hope I don't get lazy.

GettingKinky

I just set my hair. Using bigger rollers is much harder and I'm don't think it will be as smooth as my small rollers. I guess I'll know in a few hours.

GettingKinky

Here are my big roller results. It's not flat iron straight and I'm not sure it won't revert, but I'll see how it survives the week
I've got it in 2 ponytails now to try and get the roots straighter.
I miss the curly results from smaller rollers and these big ones were harder to use. I'm not sure which size I'll use next time I set. But since I only get around to setting every other month, I have plenty of time to decide.

Attachments

• image-1723048093.jpg
    image-1723048093.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 40
  • image-534711028.jpg
    image-534711028.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 44
  • image-1368429313.jpg
    image-1368429313.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 48
  • image-1140845717.jpg
    image-1140845717.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 42
  • image-2195518966.jpg
    image-2195518966.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 49

Blairx0

Do you have any theories why the foams hardened your ends. I only have one foam which is the Nubian Heritage and I have yet to use it.

I used that one I think. It is has the red label, right?

I think those things are meant to stiffen the hair and because I concentrated on my ends it was just too much. I needed to work on balance but moved on too quickly to do so. Alas maybe one day I will get back to but for now flax seed gel is giving me the best of the hold and moisture worlds

bronzephoenix

I used that one I think. It is has the red label, right? I think those things are meant to stiffen the hair and because I concentrated on my ends it was just too much. I needed to work on balance but moved on too quickly to do so. Alas maybe one day I will get back to but for now flax seed gel is giving me the best of the hold and moisture worlds

Flaxseed gel is the business!!!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Rozlewis

Did a roller set this weekend but it did not turn out as well as I hoped. I was getting the hang of roller sets then I took a break and lost all my skills. Gotta get it together.

Blairx0

Did a roller set this weekend but it did not turn out as well as I hoped. I was getting the hang of roller sets then I took a break and lost all my skills. Gotta get it together.

It is defintely a skill. Do you know what went wrong?

GettingKinky

My roller set hair is more like a soft press than my flat iron. The cuticle is not fully sealed. My hair doesn't have as much "weight". I'm not sure how to make it "heavier".

Blairx0

My roller set hair is more like a soft press than my flat iron. The cuticle is not fully sealed. My hair doesn't have as much "weight". I'm not sure how to make it "heavier".

I don't know if you can. Flat iron basically bakes that serum right onto your hair like a glaze. Rollerseting doesn't heat individual strands that way.

If you are already using a serum I don't think you are going to get that glaze like no revision, heavy coating from a Rollerset. But those beach waves you go from your looser set were gorgeous.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly

Do you want it heavier as in straighter. When I want it straight I just flat iron the roots a little, but I won't roller set for a while if I do. That's too much heat. Not sure if that's the heavier your talking about. I never get super straight hair with a set. I still have waves after a roller set.

GettingKinky

Saludable84- I don't mean straighter I just mean that each strand is sealed and almost reversion proof. I think Blairx0 is right. That kind of result may not be possible with a roller set. There just isn't enough heat.

I like the waves I got from setting, but my hair has more fly-aways. On the other hand I'm doing way less damage.

faithVA

I used that one I think. It is has the red label, right?

I think those things are meant to stiffen the hair and because I concentrated on my ends it was just too much. I needed to work on balance but moved on too quickly to do so. Alas maybe one day I will get back to but for now flax seed gel is giving me the best of the hold and moisture worlds

I have no idea what color the label is. I bought it years ago and have yet to use it.

GettingKinky

My braidout on rollerset hair (pic 1) is much lighter and fluffier than on flat ironed hair (pic 2). I like the flat ironed result better, but I could get used to this.

Attachments

• image-3345670534.jpg
    image-3345670534.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 50
  • image-475476079.jpg
    image-475476079.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 53

toaster

GettingKinky

Do you think your hair would revolt if you flat ironed twice a month? I know the general consensus is that too much heat is bad, but isn't the saying you don't know until you try? If you prefer the styling that flat ironing gives you I say go for it and see what happens.

---
Finally setting my hair tonight. In bed with my HotHead on right now. We'll see when I get up to set.

GettingKinky

toaster I don't know if my hair would revolt or not. My fear is that all will seem fine and then 6-9 months later I will realize I've done lots of damage. I'm going to try to get my hair smoother and heavier tonight with product instead of heat. I'll see how that goes.

toaster

Had a great idea for a hair related invention while under the dryer. Please don't be mad if you see me posting a million threads about it in a month or two. :look: