Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I'm sitting under the dryer. I did a traditional set because I'm planning to wear this one with no direct heat. So I did small sections and took my time to smooth my hair on the rollers. I was planning to wash n go for the fall and winter but realistically I probably would wear my hair straightened.

Rolling my hair is so relaxing

sexypebbly

My first perm rod set wasn't too bad. I think next time ill wait til my hair is somewhat dry cause it took forever to dry.

ForumRunner_20141006_203145.jpg

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Anyone have tips for how to hood dry without setting? I'm looking for quick ways to dry my hair without air drying or setting.

My last wash day I applied leave ins, combed my hair straight down and sat under the hooded dryer. That worked ok, but I'm open to suggestions.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Anyone have tips for how to hood dry without setting? I'm looking for quick ways to dry my hair without air drying or setting. My last wash day I applied leave ins, combed my hair straight down and sat under the hooded dryer. That worked ok, but I'm open to suggestions.

Without setting it could be tricky. Even wet wrapping takes longer to dry that setting. If your goals is to avoid manipulation, it might be hard. I've done wet wrap, flexi, pony tail sets, twists and braids and all take longer for my hair to dry than roller setting.

divachyk

Without setting it could be tricky. Even wet wrapping takes longer to dry that setting. If your goals is to avoid manipulation, it might be hard. I've done wet wrap, flexi, pony tail sets, twists and braids and all take longer for my hair to dry than roller setting.

I haven't wet wrapped in like 20 yrs. Too much manipulation and oh gosh it takes too long for the inner layers to dry. My pony, traditional and flexis take well over an hour. Freely hanging hair dried quickly but of course it did not come out as sleek as setting. Saludable84

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Anyone have tips for how to hood dry without setting? I'm looking for quick ways to dry my hair without air drying or setting. My last wash day I applied leave ins, combed my hair straight down and sat under the hooded dryer. That worked ok, but I'm open to suggestions.

divachyk I've never done this at home but to prep my hair for pressing: My stylist will smooth all my hair in 2 ponytails (left & right sides) twist the length & clip it up then place me under the dryer for 20-30 minutes. It's normally pretty dry but she doesn't apply leave in's...just a serum. That's all I got. All I l know is that roller setting life. lol

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I haven't wet wrapped in like 20 yrs. Too much manipulation and oh gosh it takes too long for the inner layers to dry. My pony, traditional and flexis take well over an hour. Freely hanging hair dried quickly but of course it did not come out as sleek as setting. Saludable84

Have you tried using larger rollers. I started using larger rollers when my hair started talking over an hour to dry. I prefer smaller rollers because I liked the volume in my buns but the drying was too much. Larger rollers are also less manipulation.

divachyk

Saludable84 it's the smoothing action and pinning that I'm wanting to avoid. I do use big rollers when I set.

I don't feel the need to smooth when doing flexis. Plus, there are no pins to fool with or snag the hair. Flexis are much easier for me. I use large flexis also.

lulu97, thank you.

PlainJane

I read through so much of this thread last night. I'm sold! I'm going to try my first ponytail roller set this weekend since that seems to be the most common for those transitioning to natural. I'm 10 months post so hopefully it works.

girlonfire

Hey Yall, I'll be setting today. A pony tail set to be exact. I just washed my hair with the joico moisture recovery line and used the kpak protein treatment followed by the moisture recovery balm. Here are my initial thoughts.

Shampoo: non drying, very moisturizing, offers a priming type of slip.
Conditioner: very moisturizing, left my hair soft and fluffy, allowed me to detangle my hair calmly and quickly. Mind you my hair was not MATTED, so I can't say anything about it's abilities to that extent.
Protien treatment: I have not tried many protien treatments, this is my second one to date. I now understand the "dryness: that a lot of ladies complain of. My hair was not overly try but enough for me to know I should probably not use the kpak intense deep conditioner next. MY hair definitely felt stronger though.
Balm: the jury is still out on this one.

My hair is low porosity so I add heat to all my treatments as frequently as possible and this has become less of a chore now that I have my pibbs kwik dry. I'm excited to do my first set with it!

girlonfire

This was the result of my set. Forgive the lacking abundance and quality of the pic. I did not show my pattern because...well I forgot! Nothing special though. But I did do something different. I did not use any product and I covered my magnetic rollers with paper towels like sistahwithrealhair on youtube. I must say that my hair does have more body and movement. My edges and nape did not dry thoroughly but I think I was expecting too much. I'll make smaller sections next time. I used all magenta rollers.the paper helps a lot.

It took about an 1.5 hrs for pibbs to dry my hair. It might have been partly because I was.switching temps a lot trying to see what the hottest temp I could stand was. I ended up straightening after I unrolled my hair.

View attachment 279297

Oh and a follow up in the balm, it's good, its just my lowpo hair won't recognize that without heat lol

Blairx0

Plan to put in curlformers tonight

Eta

Curlformers are in and eyelids are heavy. I will take these out tomorrow

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I've managed to pre-poo, shampoo & steam....then the baby woke up from his nap & I had to slap on a plastic bag. Now he is down again for his last nap of the day & I'm too un-inspired & tired to set...all I wanna do is drink a BOTTLE of wine, catch up on some ratchet tv, browse social media & call my parents to chat. Guess this conditioner will have to marinate overnight & I set in the morning. Flexi rods I'm thinking.......

Last edited:

greenandchic

Anyone have tips for how to hood dry without setting? I'm looking for quick ways to dry my hair without air drying or setting.

My last wash day I applied leave ins, combed my hair straight down and sat under the hooded dryer. That worked ok, but I'm open to suggestions.

That sounds a bit like a WnG...

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Well after 5 times of trying the Nairobi foam with my flexi rod sets, I have determined that it will not be a staple.

Reasons:

1) It gives me no more hold than just using my leave in does for flexi rods.

2) I don't like that I can't find a full list of ingredients. I'm not a stickler for most stuff, I just prefer not to use alcohol as it usually dries my hair out & I absolutely believe this stuff contains a high amount of it.

Here are my results though.

ETA: My stylist is taking this Nairobi off my hands since she's the one that suggested it.

Last edited:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
My 1st Traditional Roller Set Results.

I pre-poo'd over night with KV Fenugreek on my scalp and HV Vatika Frosting on the length. I also, put a protein treatment on my ends.

This morning I poo'd and DC'd with BreakThru while in the shower. I roller set with S Curl for water and Keracare foam wrap. Yes, my lazy arse didn't want get up and get the water bottle, after I was situated with my tea service and rollers etc. :look:

My roots look and feel dry!

I sat under the LCL dryer for over an hour. Here's the results:
ForumRunner_20141012_125538.jpg
ForumRunner_20141012_125649.jpg
ForumRunner_20141012_125720.jpg
ForumRunner_20141012_125740.jpg

I could see my self doing this once a month, :yep:. I just need to perfect the process and figure what do with the dry roots without ruining the set.

Napp

divachyk

I used a new combo for flexi rod setting and I think my hair likes it:

Pureology 21 Benefits -- great leave-in spray for heat styling. It has 21 benefits to the hair, including leave-in and heat protectant.

SheScentIt CoCo Creme -- I layered it on top of my Pureology 21 Benefits.

I normally set with 21 Benefits only and my sets come out nicely. Coco Creme provided some hydration that 21 Benefits doesn't provide on its own. I will definitely keep pairing the two together from here on out.

On the flip side, it took my hair longer to dry. I assume having more product in my hair was the cause.

PerFicMsFit

Hello Ladies! I am currently 10 weeks post relaxer and I wanted to share my curlformer set with you all. I cowashed with Silk Dreams Destination Hydration Conditioner, deep conditioned with Annabelle's Perfect Blend White Chocolate Mousse Hair Mask under a Heat Therapy Wrap for 1 hour, rinsed, and applied Kurlee Belle Thirsty Kurls Leave-In Conditioner. As for the actual setting process, I used my fingers to section my hair, applied Kurlee Belle Jelle Coconut Styling Gel, smoothed/detanlged with a seamless fine tooth comb, then installed the curlformer. I air dried overnight and went under the dryer in the morning for 30 minutes to ensure my hair was fully dry. If my hair dried before I got to it, I used distilled water to rewet it and applied more Kurlee Belle Thirsty Kurls Leave-In Conditioner then followed the above setting steps. I loved my results! My hair was moisturized, soft, and bouncy!

Attachments

• IMG_7385.jpg
    IMG_7385.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7396.jpg
    IMG_7396.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 68
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 81
  • FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 91

PlainJane

I'm new to setting and have a question...

What type of rollers should I buy for the sleekest results on transitioning hair?
My hair is APL, 10 months post, and 4a.

Magnetic? Perm? Hourglass? Plastic mesh? Wiry mesh? So many options!

Also, I hate sitting under the dyer lol

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I'm new to setting and have a question... What type of rollers should I buy for the sleekest results on transitioning hair? My hair is APL, 10 months post, and 4a. Magnetic? Perm? Hourglass? Plastic mesh? Wiry mesh? So many options! Also, I hate sitting under the dyer lol

PlainJane I am transitioning as well (Almost 3 years post) & I use magnetic rollers with the snap on caps. I get pretty sleek results but 90% of that comes from technique versus rollers. No matter what rollers you choose, you will get better results as you get better with your technique. I still think magnetics with the caps are great for beginners because they help the hair to not slide or curl back up once it's snapped on.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Oh and I despise the dryer too!!!! I look forward to it in the cold weather but in the warmer months, I try to set as soon as I wake up on a day I have nothing to do so I can airdry. I do that in the winter too as long as my house is nice & toasty!

Blairx0

I am so behind in this thread. I am going to get caught up for real soon. For right now here is a quick update: I installed curl formers and then blew dry. Sleek straight hair just in time for the rain

ForumRunner_20141014_193843.jpg

ForumRunner_20141014_193858.jpg

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
PlainJane I am transitioning as well (Almost 3 years post) & I use magnetic rollers with the snap on caps. I get pretty sleek results but 90% of that comes from technique versus rollers. No matter what rollers you choose, you will get better results as you get better with your technique. I still think magnetics with the caps are great for beginners because they help the hair to not slide or curl back up once it's snapped on.

Did you say 3 years post? Omgosh your hair looks freaking amazing! I didn't even know you were transitioning. I always love your sets...you make it look so effortless.