Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

Blairx0

Hi ladies!!!!*

Welcome to the “Setting to Success” 2014 Challenge

I wanted to create a thread for us ladies striving to achieve hair goals through setting. I named this challenge specifically because I want to welcome all ladies, including those who use: rollers, curlformers, flexi rods, or whatever else to set their hair.

I think setting offers an outstanding way to style and maintain the health of hair! This will be an open challenge and while I will be rolling away all of 2014 feel free to drop in with a question, show off your success, or set all the way through the year.

The Guidelines

1.Join the challenge by clicking "thanks" on this post and I'll add you to the list.
2.The challenge will officially begin December 31, 2013 and run til December 31, 2014.
3.The challenge is open to join at any time. So join whenever!
4.Post pictures with updates, style ideas, and and anything else hair related that you'd like to share.
5.STAY ENCOURAGED!!

**Update Dates**

• December 31st (2013)
  • March 31st
  • June 30th
  • September 30th
  • and end of the year reveal December 31st (2014)

For challengers wanting to join, after thanking this post answer the following questions:
Current hair length:
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd:
Current Setting method and styling choices:
Current Setting products:
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve:
How long do you plan to set?:
Post a beginning picture

Blairx0

Reference links:

Curlformers/Flexi Rods:
Past curl formers challenge
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sho...d.php?t=600403
Discussion of curlformer vs. flexi rods
http://yourafricaisshowing.blogspot....rlformers.html
Perfecting flexi rods
http://longing4length.com/2011/12/ge...0-minutes.html
http://www.curlynikki.com/2011/07/na...i-rod-set.html

Rolleretting General

Past rollersetting challenges and threads
reviews of rollers>http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=94902
rollersetting 2012> http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=583579
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sho...d.php?t=647221
rolling faster> http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sho...d.php?t=514363
Setting to Success 2013 Challenge > http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=654531

An index of web resources for tips and tricks!
http://longing4length.com/2011/12/ti...cl-videos.html

Roller setting relaxed:
Q& A about rollersetting
http://www.ultrablackhair.com/ubh2/i...l-relaxed-hair
Method
http://relaxedhairhealth.blogspot.co...rollerset.html

Rollersetting Natural:

Blog I found helpful
http://www.curlyincolorado.com/2011/...at-i-have.html
Youtube fave old video and links to new video
http://www.mahoganycurls.com/2012/03...ural-hair.html

Blairx0

afrikurl
Angelbean
AnjelLuvsUBabe
Babygrowth
BGT
bronzephoenix
brownb83
ckisland
cllncindy
coilyhaircutie
davisbr88
DoDo
DominicanBrazilian82
Ejriley
EnExitStageLeft
Fiya78
flirtytrixx88
GettingKinky
HairPleezeGrow
kinchen
KiWiStyle
klsjackson
kxlot79
Lady Esquire
Lilmama1011
Lissa0821
Lucie
lulu97
MayaNatural
MissGomes
mzteaze
Napp
Nightingale
NIKKE121
Prettymetty
rawsilk
Rozlewis
Saludable84
sexypebbly
shortt29
smores
tapioca_pudding
tatiana
theprototype
toaster
TracyNicole
uofmpanther
werenumber2
yora88

Last edited:

Rozlewis

I would like to join.

Current hair length: Grazing APL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Relaxed

Current Setting method and styling choices:Roller setting or ponytail setting under my Pibbs

Current Setting products: Diluted Lottabody or Keracare Foam Wrap

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: I am hopping to achieve a full roller set with lots of body. i also do not plan on using much direct heat in 2014.

How long do you plan to set?: I plan to set at least one time per month

Post a beginning picture: I will post a picture at my next relaxer on December 19th. I will have my hair flat ironed and will be in a better position to see the length.

Babygrowth

I'm definitely in.

Current length: grazing SL but hope to be there officially by the end of December.
e year

Relaxed
Current Setting method and styling choices: magnetic rollersets and maybe curlformers or perm rods
Current Setting products: SSI coco creme LI, trying out Jane Carter but will definitely get the keracare foam and lottabody ETA: JC sucks!
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: better growth and retention without weaves, wigs, and braids. I want to love my hair again.
How long do you plan to set? The whole year at least 1x a week

Will post starting pic at the end of the month.

Last edited:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Current hair length: MBL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Texlaxed

Current Setting method and styling choices: I set using a quadrant method, so I set my hair in four sections two in the back and two in the front.

Current Setting products: Spray bottle of water, CHI Silk Infusion

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: just being more diligent on setting. In using texture as an excuse to be lazy.

How long do you plan to set?: I want to be setting 3x a month.

Post a beginning picture

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-2750308314.jpg
    image-2750308314.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 105

Lilmama1011

Current hair length: front apl back a little pass shoulder (i will just claim shoulder length though)
I am Relaxed
Current Setting method and styling choices: flexi rods, curl formers occasionally, and magnetic rollers occasionally when my hair is freshly relaxed (about twice within the first four weeks)
Current Setting products: moisturizing, sealing , b&b foam wrap and occasionally adding one of miss jessie's gel like pillow soft for added hold when wearing curls or shea moisture gel
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: length
How long do you plan to set?: i mostly set anyways so 90% of 2014

will post pic when i wash hair today so it can have weight on my hair to give a close length check and being that im almost eight weeks post relaxer it still won't be so close

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Can I post my air dried curlformer and flexi rod sets? If so, I'll join. I bought three packs of the amber roller pins, yesterday. However, I have not bought a LCL yet. That's next...

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Thanks for the tag! Can't wait to officially take advantage and be active in this challenge. I'm buying me some curl formers tomorrow and can hopefully set that way instead of the traditional way that I cant do lol.

Current hair length: SLish
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural
Current Setting method and styling choices: Curlformers
Current Setting products: Not sure yet
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: A decent set and retention for sure
How long do you plan to set?: twice a month
Post a beginning picture

Attachments

• 20131112_155548.jpg
    20131112_155548.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

theprototype

Current hair length: WL

Current Setting method and styling choices: Grey magnetic rollers. 2-3 large flexi rods at night.

Current Setting products: Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, Tresemme Keratin Smooth Heat Protection Shine Spray, and Nairobi Wrapp-It Shine Foaming Lotion (on its way!)

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Waist length hair while curly. Smooth, healthy ends.

How long do you plan to set?: Once a week, all year.

Starting pic:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I'm in! I love love love roller sets.

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: On my way to natural. 2 years post relaxer

Current Setting method and styling choices: Snap on rollers. Styling: wear as is for first day, bantu knot to maintain, which may then turn into braid outs, buns and ponytails.

Current Setting products: It's a 10 leave in spray and Carol's Daughter Macadamia serum.

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: I plan to master a flexi rod set at some point. I'll use the Carol's Daughter foam instead of serum for those.

How long do you plan to set?: In between senegalese twists installs. All year long

Post a beginning picture: add later

Last edited:

MzSwift

I will be a frequent lurker. My goal is to learn to rollerset in 2014 so I'll be stalking for tips. I don't wanna commit yet b/c I don't know how to do it yet.

Blairx0

I will be a frequent lurker. My goal is to learn to rollerset in 2014 so I'll be stalking for tips. I don't wanna commit yet b/c I don't know how to do it yet.

I look forward to your questions because I know I can learn from them

EnExitStageLeft

Saving my spot. Be back in a few:)!

Ok I'm back...

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Transitioning

Current Setting method and styling choices: Curlformers(?), Ponytail Rollerset, Perm Rod Sets1(?)

Current Setting products: Inphenom Mist, Its a 10 Miracle leave In, Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, Nairobi Wrapp It Foam Lotion

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Perfecting Curlformers

How long do you plan to set?: Every 8 to 10 weeks to dust.

Post a beginning picture

Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Just ordered my 4 packs of extra long and wide curl formers!

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

Last edited:

tapioca_pudding

Current hair length: SL

Current Setting method and styling choices: Curlformers, Rollersets, occasional flexi rod set, Twist n curls (technically not a "set" but I do use rollers on the ends lol)

Current Setting products: Its a 10 Miracle leave In, Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, Nairobi Wrapp It Foam Lotion. For rollersets, a product by Kerstase that I cant remember the name of.. :drunk:

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Perfecting Curlformers, getting to APL

How long do you plan to set?: Weekly

Post a beginning picture - Just trimmed about an inch off

LadyPBC

I'm interested in joining but going into hair hibernation for the next 2-3 months. Will stalk until then!

brownb83

Ok I'm back...

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Transitioning

Current Setting method and styling choices: Curlformers(?), Ponytail Rollerset, Perm Rod Sets1(?)

Current Setting products: Inphenom Mist, Its a 10 Miracle leave In, Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, Nairobi Wrapp It Foam Lotion

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Perfecting Curlformers

How long do you plan to set?: Every 8 to 10 weeks to dust.

Post a beginning picture

Thud!!! That hair is everything

klsjackson

Current hair length: Full SL
Current Setting method and styling choices: Rollersetting.
Current Setting products:I use diluted Lottabody (sometimes Kera Care Setting lotion, diluted)
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: I would like to achieve protein/moisture balance; Full APL and thickness overall.
How long do you plan to set?: Setting is my style of choice and convenience. I plan to set indefinitely.
Post a beginning picture: This picture was taken in October 2013. This was a rollerwrap my usual style. I rollerset, sit under dyer for an hour, remove rollers, wrap hair and sit under dryer for about 5 to 10 mins = Smooth sleek hair!

Attachments

• Hair Update October 2013.jpg
    Hair Update October 2013.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 82

DominicanBrazilian82

Current hair length: Grazing BSB
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Transitioning (Unofficially)
Current Setting method and styling choices: Always wrapped! Set, root flat iron, wrap!
Current Setting products: Always DC, liquid leave-in, creamy leave-in (preferably with cones), serum before I flat iron and a little (*very little*) butter when I wrap.
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: LENGTH! I got setting down packed!
How long do you plan to set?:
Every week for the entire year.
Post a beginning picture: Will update 12/31

faithVA

Current hair length: NL

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural

Current Setting method and styling choices: Curlformers, Rollersets, Perm Rods. I have flexi rods but haven't figured them out yet.

Current Setting products: Still researching. I use a liquid and a curling creme.

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: A whole lot
1. Which products to use
2. How to better moisturize and smooth out my ends

How long do you plan to set?: Once a week until indefinitely.

Post a beginning picture [will post before the end of December]

JosieLynn

ditto! I lurked in last year's thread still looking for tips for natural hair setting but I'm closing in on BSL and mid-back so I might try setting in spring

Blairx0

Current hair length: Scrapping BSL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural!
Current Setting method and styling choices: currently i set on grey rollers with snap on covers I borrowed from some old rollers. However I planing to give curlformers another go in 2014
Current Setting products: I am still on the hunt for this and would love input. I do however love Komoaza Aloe my hair serum.
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: I would like to set to style instead of setting to stretch
How long do you plan to set?: All year long!
Post a beginning picture: coming in next post and all year long!

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I don't think I will commit to the challenge, but I will try to set once a month as a stretching method.