Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

meka72

I've been working on my ends so haven't been doing any rollersets. But last night I did a flat twist updo and used the small white perm rods for the twist and the curls. It came out better than I was expecting. This style definitely gives me some options until I get some more length in the back.

So pretty!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I got bored with my straight hair so I put satin foam rollers on the ends. Now I want it straight again :drunk:

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1417748675328.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1417748675328.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 50

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I've been working on my ends so haven't been doing any rollersets. But last night I did a flat twist updo and used the small white perm rods for the twist and the curls. It came out better than I was expecting. This style definitely gives me some options until I get some more length in the back.

faithVA Oooooh that's pretty!

faithVA

I plan to do a roller set for my year end length check and then just lurk for a while until I get more length but I might do a rodset monthly. I've gotten so lazy with flat twist though :lol:

faithVA

[USER=388763 said:
toaster[/USER];20854779]Just lovely faithVA!! Flat twists have made me super hair lazy too, but your set is fabulous.

Thank you. So you are becoming a master of flat twist? I know you had been working on it?

toaster

faithVA I'm getting much better! Every wash day I do 8 flat twists (with satin foam rollers on my ends) for my twist out. And on days I don't want to wear my hair out but I don't want to bun I do two flat twists down into pigtail braids. :yep: They're still not perfect but very wearable.

faithVA

With this style I was able to achieve 2nd day hair. But I realized as I prepared to leave the house that I was choosing between staying warm and trying to look cute :sad: Fortunately, it is not too cold this week but yeah I'm going to need to stay warm until the spring, so back to flat twist after the weekend.

toaster

Thanks love coilyhaircutie! I think the keys to my regimen have been moisture (I deep condition every wash day), keeping my hair stretched (twists with rollers on the end), protective styling (I wear a bun probably 3-4 days a week), and gentle handling (only comb with hair soaked in conditioner), and a healthy dose of luck.

My relaxed hair never got past a broken shoulder length but I literally didn't apply product to my hair in between my twice monthly appointments. I totally believe that I could have had a healthy head of relaxed hair but I found LHCF when I decided to transition and stuck with that idea.

Blairx0

Going to stretched this straight hair to next weekend then dust, dc and roll. Now that is cold, I will have no problem sitting under the dryer.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Going to stretched this straight hair to next weekend then dust, dc and roll. Now that is cold, I will have no problem sitting under the dryer.

Me too! I had plans on wearing my hair out this past week but I should fight the meteorologist for telling lies of sunshine and nice weather when we got rain all last week. My hair has been in a braided pony for a week. I took it down, moisturized and braided it right back up in a crown braid. I'll be getting in a long DC & steaming session next week followed by a magnetic set to stretch.

PlainJane

Has anyone had success using butters and pomades to roller set? Instead of leave ins, wrap lotion, serums, etc. I'm having the hardest time getting my hair to lay flat and smooth on the roller.

coilyhaircutie

toaster- thanks for sharing!

Ladies, for the past two weeks, I've been wearing my hair straight. I flat ironed it two weeks ago and even though the ends are puffy, I'm still wearing it as is. I've had so much free time these past few weeks and I thought it was because I'm managing my time better. WRONG. Come to find out, when I was thinking about it today, it's because my hair is straight! I don't have to fuss with it and gently pincurl or put it in flexirods like I would do when I'm wearing a set. Setting my curly styles at night always takes a good 45 minutes to an hour. That's FIVE hours I'm saving every work week. It takes me max 15 minutes to oil and twist my straight hair. I love this. I do miss my curly hair, but it's soooo much work.

I plan to wash next weekend, and I'm torn about what I want to do with my hair. Flat ironing is a 2-day 6 hour+ process. If I wear my hair curly, that's a 1-day 3 hour process BUT then it takes more time to prepare for bed every night since I have to set my curls. Siiigh. Decisions, decisions. I wish I could find a quick, easy way to preserve & moisturize my curls at night (and give me definition in the morning). Something that takes no longer than 15 minutes. Pineappling does not work for me. We'll seeeee

Blairx0

Ladies I know i a backslidder, but please forgive me.

I finally washed did a protein and moisture DC! My hair missed this level of attention. I am now rolled up under the dryer and catching up on the thread.

Please join me in the setting to success 2015 challenge and I promise my hair and i will get it together.

girlonfire

I'm a backslider as well:sad: I technically DID set last friday I think it was. I used flexi rods but I think I sectioned too big because they didn't dry thoroughly. I KNOW it was partially because If the way I wrapped. I treated It like I was wrapping a magnetic roller. sigh, you live and you learn. After 1.5 hours I decided I was going to just flat iron my hair with me remmington, wet2straight. My oh my. People. When I tell you salon results...it was fabulous. I finally got to use the joico kpak balm that I bought forever ago and for my leave in i used it's a 10. I've got body for days and my hair (minus my kitchen, but it's pretty manageable) has stayed so straight. And I work in an environment where I am CONSTANTLY subjected to heat and moisture. Holy grail heat protectant, right here (and of course the its a 10 should get some credit too). I'll post pics when I'm not tired/working.

coilyhaircutie

Hey ladies, I joined the 2015 setting to success challenge, but before I start posting in that thread, I wanted to write my December 31st check-in on this challenge thread.

2014. If I had to describe my hair journey in terms of length for this year, it would be, "Another year, another failed hair length goal." (LOL :grin:) I started the year at APL, and I ended the year at APL. I reached BSL and passed it, but my hair was so raggedy that I had to chop it off. I cut off about 6-7 inches total this year because of poor ends.

If I had to describe my hair journey in terms of how I've grown in understanding, it would be a completely different story. I learned so much about my hair this year:
1. My ends love rollersets. They behave and don't break off as much when I stretch with rollers vs stretching with twists/braids.

2. The only curlers that can get my roots straight are curlformers.

3. My ends don't like curlformers as much as flexirods, permrods, or regular rollers. Curlformers did a number on my ends, but my hair stays so well (for a whole week) when I do a good curlformer set. So this sucks. This means I can only use curlformers for special occasions.

4. My hair needs a 1/8" trim every month. I'm going to have to make trimming my ends a regular thing. I can tell that my hair looks sooo much healthier -- even when it's curly -- when it is trimmed. It's juicy and thick from root to tip when I trim. It breaks off A LOT when I don't trim often. It's easier to trim when my hair is straight - I cut off too much (by accident) when I trim when it's curly.

5. My hair behaves better when it's thoroughly deep-conditioned. Even when it gets bone-dry during the week (sometimes I'm lazy and bun without moisturizing), my hair will still maintain its curls if I did a good DC at the beginning of the week.

6. My hair LOVES DCs with heat. LOVES. The Andis dryer was the best hair tool investment all year. So easy to use, so relaxing. And so easy to store. #Win.

7. I bought the Q-Redew this year, and I liked it at first, but girls....it was so much work to use!! I used to have to stand up in front the mirror in the bathroom for 45 minutes steaming the conditioner in my hair in sections...ain't nobody got tim for that! :lol: So I stopped doing it. I only use my Q-redew now for quick touch-ups (like when my hair is super-dry midweek and I want to do a twistout). Honestly, my sister uses it now more than me.

8. Honestly, I'm not sure if my hair likes coconut oil anymore. It may be too heavy for it. My hair's been liking safflower oil and avocado oil a lot lately. I want to experiment with using less product in my hair too. Sometimes I feel like all the products I put in my hair weigh it down and don't really do much.

9. I have to eat protein with every meal for stronger hair. I notice whenever I don't eat enough protein (beans, nuts, fish), the quality of my hair (and nails) starts to deteriorate. My hair also starts to look dull and break off when I don't eat enough vegetables. I bought a blender for my birthday this year and I make and drink a vegetable smoothie 2 times a week. I'm trying to work my way up to every day. My skin and nails look fabulous and my hair has been looking shinier too.

10. For me, more manipulation = more breakage at the ends. I manipulate my hair less when it is in a straight state. So, my goal for 2015 is to perfect my flat-ironing technique. I plan to rollerset once a month and flat iron afterwards and wear my hair straight for 2 weeks. The other 2 weeks of the month, I will wear curly rollerset styles. Wish me luck! :)

My APL hair in December 2013:
photo-3.jpg

My APL hair in November 2014:
(My hair is currently curly, so this is my most recent length pic)
APL.jpg
sideview.jpg