Setting to Success 2015

toaster

When you ladies are moisturizing at night, do you always moisturize with water? Or do you sometimes just use oil/your leave-in cream of choice?

I've just been using coconut oil. Since I DC'd and used a moisturizing leave in, my hair doesn't feel dry by the end of the week.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
When you ladies are moisturizing at night, do you always moisturize with water? Or do you sometimes just use oil/your leave-in cream of choice?

For the first 2 days or so, I just oil my ends with my argan/rosehip seed oil mix. When it starts to feel like it needs moisture, I use watered down Camille Rose Moisture milk. (I fill up a spray bottle till about 90% then add abut 5 squirts of the moisturizer). I don't seal either...the moisture milk has a nice blend of oils in it already.

faithVA

I couldn't wait to get home from vacation to wash and set my hair yesterday! Had to get off that vacation funk :lachen:

1) Pre-poo: Alma treatment mixed with water, silk amino acids and a dallop of conditioner. I was in a mixtress mood. :bdance:My hair was smooth and silky upon rinsing after an hour.

2) Co cleansed it out with Eden Bodyworks coconut cleansing cream.

3) Deep conditioned with Joico Moisture Recovery Balm :drool:

4) Used Chi Keratin as a leave in and MoroccanOil serum to set.

Since being mostly natural, I've been having difficulty getting my ends straight with all this curly hair. This set was much better. I snapped this pic right after taking out the rollers. I was too tired for a full on roller set photo shoot...had to get some zzzzzzzzzz's. Lol

View attachment 344005
Absolutely beautiful. It looks really silky and soft.

Blairx0

I am going to try to sneak in a set Friday afternoon. If not Friday then Sunday is going to be an all day hair day.

I think it is time to winterize my routine. I bought some products with heavy cones that I hope will reduce friction and frizz. I plan to dc, apply leave in and use some old school if fantasia products to set. I need moisture to be locked in this winter.

I also think a 2016 thread needs to get going.hmmmm

faithVA

I have my curlformers in. I did a mudwash and then DCd with NaturelleGrow Herbal Blends. I'm used Natural Oasis tea to set. If I did this more often I could probably install the curlformers in 45 minutes. But I only use them a few times a year.

I will be under the dryer between 1 to 1.5 hours on cool. Then I will let my hair cool for 20 minutes. Then I need to pin curl my hair and hope it last through the night.

My hair is definitely longer than the last time I did a set.

toaster

I have my curlformers in. I did a mudwash and then DCd with NaturelleGrow Herbal Blends. I'm used Natural Oasis tea to set. If I did this more often I could probably install the curlformers in 45 minutes. But I only use them a few times a year.

I will be under the dryer between 1 to 1.5 hours on cool. Then I will let my hair cool for 20 minutes. Then I need to pin curl my hair and hope it last through the night.

My hair is definitely longer than the last time I did a set.

I've been following you around the forum this week ms. @faithVA and your hair is gorgeous and getting so long! I think I saw a picture in the shoulder length thread so I didn't want to comment, but it was gorgeous!

faithVA

I've been following you around the forum this week ms. @faithVA and your hair is gorgeous and getting so long! I think I saw a picture in the shoulder length thread so I didn't want to comment, but it was gorgeous!

You don't know how much that means to me. Thank You. (I'm doing the ugly cry :lol:)

And your always welcome to comment in any of my threads. It's so quiet on this board jump in any time :lol:

toaster

You don't know how much that means to me. Thank You. (I'm doing the ugly cry :lol:)

And your always welcome to comment in any of my threads. It's so quiet on this board jump in any time :lol:

I'm seriously impressed with your growth! Just hanging and swanging :bdance:

It is quiet! I'm making an effort to get more involved in the hair care section. I don't even know half the brands people are talking about. I'm out of the loop.

coilyhaircutie

and yup i agree ladies @toaster @faithVA it is hella quiet on our board lol. but i haven't found another one that i love as much! <3 I like our little community. I think this year was a busy year for us all, I know it was for me. Maybe we can make a joint 2016 new year's resolution to check in more frequently ;) I know I was slacking on the check-ins this year lol

faithVA

Next year I will shoot for setting at least once a month so I can at least be more active than I was this year. Setting during the summer months it out though. I cycling starting late spring so no use doing sets during that time. Will have to see how it goes.

faithVA

I'm seriously impressed with your growth! Just hanging and swanging :bdance:

It is quiet! I'm making an effort to get more involved in the hair care section. I don't even know half the brands people are talking about. I'm out of the loop.

I don't know about hanging or swanging but it is finally growing. Maybe it will hang and swang in 2016 :yep:

I need some curls drapping over my shoulders :yep:

PlainJane

@lulu97 I agree I have found that roller setting does mean that I manipulate my hair less until the next wash day. I use a fine toothed comb to set and it's starting to make me nervous.

@Blairx0 I'm going to give the flaxseed a try soon then. So you don't use a moisturizer, only oil throughout the week?

Blairx0

and yup i agree ladies @toaster @faithVA it is hella quiet on our board lol. but i haven't found another one that i love as much! <3 I like our little community. I think this year was a busy year for us all, I know it was for me. Maybe we can make a joint 2016 new year's resolution to check in more frequently ;) I know I was slacking on the check-ins this year lol
I was ghost for a long time, but need and want to do better. I miss the app!

faithVA

My set made it through the day. I wasn't sure if it would make it through the night though. I added a little tea and oil to the ends and put sections on flexi rods. If I can get decent curls with the flexi rods, this could be a game changer.

toaster

My set made it through the day. I wasn't sure if it would make it through the night though. I added a little tea and oil to the ends and put sections on flexi rods. If I can get decent curls with the flexi rods, this could be a game changer.
Keep us updated! I wish I knew how to pin curl.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97 Add me to your prayer list too please! I remember in 2008 when I was transitioning all I wanted was a shoulder length wash and go. No matter what length my hair is... bra strap... waist... hip... my wash and go shrinks to neck length. NECK LENGTH.

7 years later and that still makes me mad. Humph. :rolleyes::amen:

Girl I feel you! My hair is still hip length even after the cut and I don't like the length curly. I was maintaining at hip but think I might just let it grow as long as it can. I rarely wear it straight (maybe like once a year) so I'm shifting my growing goals to curly versus straight.

Let my hair cool and put my head in the freezer for a minute :look:. Put a little oil on to seal and then pin curled the best I could. I know its not as hard as I am making it out to be.

View attachment 344285 View attachment 344287 View attachment 344289

@faithVA Looking good! Loving the color...speaking of which...What color (shade) are you using these days? Are you still liking the Shea Moisture system? I'm still really digging their jet black shade.

I try to post as much as I can however, it's usually at the mercy of my 18 month old. Can only really get on when he naps. I really love the forum and interacting with the Ladies. It's a part of my girl time. lol:giggle:

faithVA

Girl I feel you! My hair is still hip length even after the cut and I don't like the length curly. I was maintaining at hip but think I might just let it grow as long as it can. I rarely wear it straight (maybe like once a year) so I'm shifting my growing goals to curly versus straight.

@faithVA Looking good! Loving the color...speaking of which...What color (shade) are you using these days? Are you still liking the Shea Moisture system? I'm still really digging their jet black shade.

I try to post as much as I can however, it's usually at the mercy of my 18 month old. Can only really get on when he naps. I really love the forum and interacting with the Ladies. It's a part of my girl time. lol:giggle:
Thank you. I'm still using She Moisture and that's the Darkest Brown. As you can see on my hair it has reddish undertones. I'm considering going black next year. Unfortunately I ended up on their auto ship program and I have two boxes of color to use up.

I may play around with a black rinse before I go permanent.

LdyKamz

Is there going to be one of these for 2016? I joined the milestone challenge and one of them is perfecting a magnetic set. I've mastered perm rod sets but I can't keep the style nice for more than a couple days. Might want to work on that too.

toaster

Thinking about putting liter sizes of the Mizani Thermasmooth shampoo and conditioner on my Christmas list. My stylist at Regis salon always used them before blow drying and flat ironing my hair and I never got heat damage or anything. Now I'm not putting direct heat on my hair, but I wonder if they would help smooth my hair for sets.

faithVA

Thinking about putting liter sizes of the Mizani Thermasmooth shampoo and conditioner on my Christmas list. My stylist at Regis salon always used them before blow drying and flat ironing my hair and I never got heat damage or anything. Now I'm not putting direct heat on my hair, but I wonder if they would help smooth my hair for sets.
I think you should. I may try some salon products in the new year.