“setting To Success” 2016

Daina

*sigh* Flat twistouts and braidouts kinda ruined my ends..I'm relaxed but I still have some texture. Even when I was natural having my hair stretched greatly helped me with length retention smh. :cry3:Just three weeks of that constant manipulation messed me up. I trimmed today and put in a protective style (crochet senegalese twists) that I'll leave in for a month. Not straying from my rollersets anymore:dazed:

@angelmilk, sorry braidouts didn't work for you. Were you rebraiding everynight? What was the extra manipulation? Braidouts have really worked for me so I'm just curious so I don't miss something for my ends. I do braidouts beginning Sunday and typically don't have to bother it again until Tuesday or Wednesday. One refresh takes me to the weekend. Finding the right styler really helped me. I use CR Coconut Water Style Setter and it locks in the wave really well.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
View attachment 359479 Uhm... I want to cut my hair this length. Could I maintain this with a roller set? Or would I need to use heat?

That is such a beautiful cut however is it wrong that I don't want you to cut your hair?!!!!! :cry3:

Yes you can maintain that with a roller set. I have before... just not as a natural though. You may need to flat iron your roots sometimes if your roller setting technique can't get them straight enough...or maybe just the roots framing your face as that's what will be the most noticeable.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
@toaster That cut is really cute. Not long, but not too short so you have some options. Echoing what @lulu97 said; you should be able to roller set but might have to flat iron your roots on occasion if you want it to look sleeker.

I have not been roller setting lately. I started blow drying my hair to stretch it more. Roller setting has not stretched my transitioning hair enough. I still may do flexi Rod/perm Rod sets though just not the traditional roller sets for now. This transition has been a beast to deal it, but I'm happy to say I'm now 19 months post and half way there :)

toaster

image.jpeg @lulu97 I think I was just having a moment. I took my rollers down, finger combed the curl out, and thought "nah". I won't be cutting anytime soon.

I WILL be flat ironing for my Beyoncé concert the first weekend in June. Talk to me about your straightening routine?

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
View attachment 359495 @lulu97 I think I was just having a moment. I took my rollers down, finger combed the curl out, and thought "nah". I won't be cutting anytime soon.

I WILL be flat ironing for my Beyoncé concert the first weekend in June. Talk to me about your straightening routine?

I prefer to get my hair professionally straightened. However on the rare occasions when I do it myself, I use the exact same technique as my roller setting process. I use the same products then roller set. I can get my hair fairly straight with rollers alone, so once I take them out...I just go through and look for any lumps/bumps/puffy roots that I may have missed with the rollers. I'll pass over those areas once with my flat iron on low heat (300 to 320). Each day I wrap it..and as the days go by, the hair will get straighter and straighter on it's own.

halfindian

Omg I soooo need to keep in touch with this thread. So many happenings. Lol. I was like I could not do a set and not post you lot since all my hairspiration came from here. So yesterday I was washed, dc'd with aunt Jackie's girl. Did a mini twist and curl with the leave in followed by the curling custard. Used perm rods on the ends. I'm so loving my perm rods since I bought them. They may very well become a staple in my regimen. Took them out in the wee hours of the morning due to them coming off during nocturnal activities. Partially dry thought. I love the hold the custard gave. I think my hair may love creams puddings and custards. My last best set cane from a cream done on freshly washed hair. So clean hair + cream = perfect set. I'll be testing this again but I want to keep my hair like this for a while. Daily maintenance has me ready to chop at any minute.

Attachments

• IMG_20160430_191542.jpg
    IMG_20160430_191542.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20160501_093820.jpg
    IMG_20160501_093820.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41

angelmilk

@angelmilk, sorry braidouts didn't work for you. Were you rebraiding everynight? What was the extra manipulation? Braidouts have really worked for me so I'm just curious so I don't miss something for my ends. I do braidouts beginning Sunday and typically don't have to bother it again until Tuesday or Wednesday. One refresh takes me to the weekend. Finding the right styler really helped me. I use CR Coconut Water Style Setter and it locks in the wave really well.
Yea I was rebraiding/twisting every night and then seperating the curls/waves in the morning. I think me seperating each formed wave is what really did it...and the fact that I have hand in hair syndrome and wanted to play with each little wave smh

NaturallyATLPCH

Happy Sunday ladies!

I must say setting the past two weeks have gone well. I'm noticing much less breakage during each wash and I really needed something to give me a break from twist outs.

I am going to use my CHI Keratin Leave In in conjunction with APB's Leave Ins this time instead of a creamy leave in and see how that turns out.

Loving the convenience of the twist bun and moisturizing mid week to reset it. Setting does make it easier to stretch. One day I'll do a regular curly set like I posted earlier lol...

With my workout schedule it's just easier to bun.

toaster

I prefer to get my hair professionally straightened. However on the rare occasions when I do it myself, I use the exact same technique as my roller setting process. I use the same products then roller set. I can get my hair fairly straight with rollers alone, so once I take them out...I just go through and look for any lumps/bumps/puffy roots that I may have missed with the rollers. I'll pass over those areas once with my flat iron on low heat (300 to 320). Each day I wrap it..and as the days go by, the hair will get straighter and straighter on it's own.

I'm pretty sure that's my plan. Set with its a 10 and flat iron when I'm dry, no extra products. I do think I'll flat iron on at least 350 and do two passes. I usually get my hair done at the salon and I KNOW they are using higher heat than that, and I have never had heat damage (but I don't want to go overboard).

Now to order a flat iron...

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Currently doing what is probably the worst roller set in history. My parting was horrible towards the end. Had hair falling off the rollers in some spots. It's just a hot mess. I can already tell that this isn't going to come out all that great. But the good thing about my hair is that I can wrap it and tie it down and my roots will flatten out. I may post pics if it's not too horrible.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I'm pretty sure that's my plan. Set with its a 10 and flat iron when I'm dry, no extra products. I do think I'll flat iron on at least 350 and do two passes. I usually get my hair done at the salon and I KNOW they are using higher heat than that, and I have never had heat damage (but I don't want to go overboard).

Now to order a flat iron...

LOL My stylist doesn't even use a flat iron on my hair. I get a REAL old school press with a pressing comb, so I know it's way hotter than anything I would ever use on my hair at home. But those results are always banging and I've never had heat damage either by way of my stylist.

I'm excited for your results!

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Currently doing what is probably the worst roller set in history. My parting was horrible towards the end. Had hair falling off the rollers in some spots. It's just a hot mess. I can already tell that this isn't going to come out all that great. But the good thing about my hair is that I can wrap it and tie it down and my roots will flatten out. I may post pics if it's not too horrible.
So my roller set dried. Took the rollers out and...at least my hair is clean for the week :look:

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
@NaturallyATLPCH ive always wanted to try APB products but I have all my staples so I'm not sure I'll get around to it. I'm glad you had the chi leave in for extra slip!

@KinksAndInk ive been there... but clean stretched hair is better than nothing!
Agreed. I'll just try again next week. I need to watch some more videos and I have a few ideas that might help. I'm not giving up...yet.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
I asked this in the U1B1 thread but I figure I might as well ask here too.

For any of those that are natural who deal with bushy ends, how do you handle it? I'm asking because my nape is natural and the ends stay bushy even when I mouisturize it. As I was flat ironing today, I was getting little balls (idk how else to describe it) on the ends. It was really annoying.

I swear this is what would make me not want to transition anymore. I really don't want to deal with this all over my head.

NaturallyATLPCH

@NaturallyATLPCH ive always wanted to try APB products but I have all my staples so I'm not sure I'll get around to it. I'm glad you had the chi leave in for extra slip!

@KinksAndInk ive been there... but clean stretched hair is better than nothing!

I love APB's products, her leave ins are actually staples. I usually use the leave ins in conjunction with her creams when I twist my hair but they aren't the best for roller setting. This is new territory for me lol...

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams

For any of those that are natural who deal with bushy ends, how do you handle it? I'm asking because my nape is natural and the ends stay bushy even when I mouisturize it. As I was flat ironing today, I was getting little balls (idk how else to describe it) on the ends. It was really annoying.

I swear this is what would make me not want to transition anymore. I really don't want to deal with this all over my head.
@flyygirlll2, by bushy do you mean your hair has lots of little balls on the ends, or that the ends say dry when you moisturize them?

Usually both of those for me mean I either need hard protein or a trim.

toaster

It could either mean you need to trim, or it could just be your technique. When I blow dry my own hair my ends are bushy, but when I get my hair blow dried they are smooth. I don't know what it is I'm doing wrong or else I would offer a suggestion to you, but look closely at your ends. Are they split? Do they have a lot of ssk? Do they break easily? If the answer to any of those are yes I would try a protein treatment and possibly a small trim.

If not, it's more than likely technique over damage.

toaster

@Colocha It's a combination of both.
@toaster I get a lot of ssk's... I mean a ridiculous amount of it. I'm always trimming that area because of this issue, (just trimmed last month and today) it's so frustrating. I do mouisturize it and twist it up. I do use protein on those areas as well.
I also have a lot of ssks but I don't trim them or else I would never retain length. I find they don't hinder my progress and I don't straighten often enough that they are unsightly. You just have to figure out what works for you.

toaster

Since I'm almost out of my its a 10 leave in I ordered the curl junkie smoothing lotion and curls in a bottle. I used to love these products in 2011ish and I think they will have enough T slip/ be light enough to use as a roller set.

They are cone-free which is not my usual jam, but I use cones in my DC, shampoo, conditioner, and daily moisturizer, so I think it should be okay.

AgeinATL

@toaster That cut is really cute. Not long, but not too short so you have some options. Echoing what @lulu97 said; you should be able to roller set but might have to flat iron your roots on occasion if you want it to look sleeker.

I have not been roller setting lately. I started blow drying my hair to stretch it more. Roller setting has not stretched my transitioning hair enough. I still may do flexi Rod/perm Rod sets though just not the traditional roller sets for now. This transition has been a beast to deal it, but I'm happy to say I'm now 19 months post and half way there :)

You go girl!!! :band2::bdance:

AgeinATL

I also have a lot of ssks but I don't trim them or else I would never retain length. I find they don't hinder my progress and I don't straighten often enough that they are unsightly. You just have to figure out what works for you.

@flyygirlll2

THIS. It sound like SSKs which, unfortunately, comes with the territory sis. I agree with toaster, you can run yourself crazy trying to trim them all off, especially with your density. Just keep your hair in a stretched state as much as possible. This is the only thing that lessens them for me, but they are inevitable for those with curly, coily, kinky hair.

ETA: whenever you straighten, just trim off what you need and keep it moving!