“setting To Success” 2016

faithVA

@faithVA I stay in challenges with mainly the same people since I'm even cyber shy! this challenge has a new set of ladies for me except you. I'm used to you lol

Main Styling Ideas:
(1) flat twist and curl (with perm rods) then clip in curly hair and bun or pin up
(2) Braid or bun with kanekalon some days
Oh and
(3) stretch out my hair kind os straight and clip in kinky straight hair

Styling products:
(1) my macademia natural oil leave in and the Keracare twist and define cream I just purchased
(I'll change the number each time I change the products I'm using to set)

Im ready after I make my clipins.
I understand. Some threads can be quite daunting but there just a bunch of sweet hearts in this thread. You are in good hands.

Your styling ideas sound like a great start.

apple_natural

I understand. Some threads can be quite daunting but there just a bunch of sweet hearts in this thread. You are in good hands.

Your styling ideas sound like a great start.

thank you so much!

I would like to get some hourglass rollers. I will look for them next month... and some clips too. I havent chosen which ones to start out with and i will still only wrap it and clip in kinky straight hair lol.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Hey Pretty Ladies!!! How is your summer hair care going?! I'm still cruising on through in my bob sew-in. Will take it out late next month or early September before my Vegas vacation. I must admit that I am thoroughly enjoying the break and getting my hair done at the salon. Freedom just a lil while longer!!! :drunk:

sissimpson

My pern rod sets for March, April & May were disasters. Humidity, humectants, and rain are the culprits. In a few hours I went from this: View attachment 363017
To this: View attachment 363023
This time I finally got a set to last for more than a few hours.
I used these: View attachment 363025
to get this:
View attachment 363041View attachment 363043 It didn't revert at the end of the day.The previous 2 pics were at 9am. This picture was at 8pm:
View attachment 363045
The set lasted through four days of humidity and gym workouts. I wore 2 flat twists pinned around my head on the last day.

My next set was scheduled for this week. My area is under a storm advisory. Hurricane Season won't let a sista' be great :drunk:
I think it looked great in the frizzy pic too!

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
@lulu97 Nice! I wish I could find a salon and give myself a break. It's getting hotter here now which means I can't be bothered with my hair. Now I just wash, air dry in twists and KIM. I still have a lot of relaxed hair left with the exception of my nape. As long as my hair is up and out of my way, I don't mind cause the shrinkage is insane.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97 Nice! I wish I could find a salon and give myself a break. It's getting hotter here now which means I can't be bothered with my hair. Now I just wash, air dry in twists and KIM. I still have a lot of relaxed hair left with the exception of my nape. As long as my hair is up and out of my way, I don't mind cause the shrinkage is insane.

@flyygirlll2 Girl! I've never been a 100% DIY'er except up until recently when we moved to a new area. Honestly it was/is super draining. Sometimes you (well I) just need someone else to get me through for a few washes while I rejuvenate. I will probably start going back once a month like I used to. Even if it's a simple wash, condition and braid me up in 2 braids for a week or two. As long as I'm not doing it. :lachen:
:blondboob:

Yeah shrinkage is cray cray! Sometimes I embrace it, sometimes I'm like GTFOH!!! I wanna show all this length that I worked my butt off to get. LOL

ajargon02

How are you ladies getting your rollersets to look so pretty? Mine are a mess. I am thinking I am using too large rollers. I stretch with a rollerset, but would like to for once wear it out without it lookin like a ham.

I will have to keep reading this thread for more tips.

apple_natural

My pern rod sets for March, April & May were disasters. Humidity, humectants, and rain are the culprits. In a few hours I went from this: View attachment 363017
To this: View attachment 363023
This time I finally got a set to last for more than a few hours.
I used these: View attachment 363025
to get this:
View attachment 363041View attachment 363043 It didn't revert at the end of the day.The previous 2 pics were at 9am. This picture was at 8pm:
View attachment 363045
The set lasted through four days of humidity and gym workouts. I wore 2 flat twists pinned around my head on the last day.

My next set was scheduled for this week. My area is under a storm advisory. Hurricane Season won't let a sista' be great :drunk:

I'm going to have to give shea moisture another try. I wasn't a fan at first. I tried the regular orange container DC.. I tried the whole thing. they were bogo. i gave my second one away

toaster

How are you ladies getting your rollersets to look so pretty? Mine are a mess. I am thinking I am using too large rollers. I stretch with a rollerset, but would like to for once wear it out without it lookin like a ham.

I will have to keep reading this thread for more tips.
My best advice is to use smaller rollers, take your time with your parts, make sure the hair is wet before you roll, and make sure your hair is dry before taking the rollers out. Also make sure your hair is well detangled. Those small things can really make a set better, quickly.

Use a light leave in and a serum, and leave any oils for after your hair is dry.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97 We reached 100+ degrees and it doesn't look like we'll get relief anytime soon so I've been cowashing nightly and wet bunning just to get some relief. I will still roller set for some events I have over the summer so it will probably be one set a month until it cools off in the fall.

I feel you Sis. This summer weather is so disrespectful!!!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
My best advice is to use smaller rollers, take your time with your parts, make sure the hair is wet before you roll, and make sure your hair is dry before taking the rollers out. Also make sure your hair is well detangled. Those small things can really make a set better, quickly.

Use a light leave in and a serum, and leave any oils for after your hair is dry.

I agree 1 million percent! Excellent tips.

ajargon02

Thank-you so much! I used a combo of eden bodyworks coconut shea, then spritzed with luv naturlas aloe citrus kisses to close the cuticle and sealed with camilla rose moisture milk. My hair came out really soft. I used the purple magnetic rollers, but next time I will use smaller rods.
Thanks again for the tips. Next week I will try it that way and see what happens.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
This is my last set, until it cools off in the Fall. I did a curlformer set last night, so could dust/trim. I was supposed to dust my ends, during the Summer Solstice, but that didn't happen.

I'm on this long @$$ conference call :nono:, clipping ends, as I remove each curlformer. :sekret:

Attachments

• 20160705_073016.jpg
    20160705_073016.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 43
  • 20160705_073233.jpg
    20160705_073233.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 51

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
So I used 4 huge black rollers for the first time ever last set. I've had a set of a few for years now but just never used them. I LOVE how the hair I used the black rollers on came out. I want to do a set with them all over my head. I think they're the 2.5 or 3 inch rollers.
The gray rollers are just a little too small for much of my hair. They give me more curl than I like. The large wave I get with the black is perfect.
I don't have nearly enough to do my whole head but I'm going to use more of them next time. I wish i had enough to do most of the mohawk and the long parts of my sides with them. I'm not sure how well I could fit under the dryer with a ton of them in though.

LdyKamz

So I'm thinking of doing a rollerset with magnetics. Since my sides and nape are finally getting there but still not long enough for magnetics I'll twist those like I.did for my last flexi rod set. But does anyone have any suggestions on how to style after? I usually only ever use magnetics with the intention of straightening and I'm not doing that. Thought about doing Bantu knots but at this length that might look strange on stretched hair. What do you ladies think?

toaster

So I'm thinking of doing a rollerset with magnetics. Since my sides and nape are finally getting there but still not long enough for magnetics I'll twist those like I.did for my last flexi rod set. But does anyone have any suggestions on how to style after? I usually only ever use magnetics with the intention of straightening and I'm not doing that. Thought about doing Bantu knots but at this length that might look strange on stretched hair. What do you ladies think?
Have you considered doing Bantu knots to stretch the sides and nap of your hair? That may give a similar curl to the magnetics so your hair blends more easily.