“setting To Success” 2016

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
OK. I have to think about this since my hair is so much shorter than yours. Bantu knots might not be the right thing for me to start with but I need to think of what is.

But I guess in the long run you are just trying to stretch you hair to put it up. hmm. I will have to sleep on this

Yep just looking for a smooth stretch...with the likeness of a roller set but without the entire process. I guess a lazy roller set?

I'm going to put my thinking cap on and see what I come up with for shorter lengths. (Skipping the Bantu knots) Maybe test a bit on some shorter hair. I'll let you know what I come up with as well.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
So here are the results of my summer lazy set:

The roots:

image.jpeg

The length:

image.jpeg

The ends:

image.jpeg

Is it as nice/shiny/flowy as my usual flexi rod set?

image.jpeg

Or roller set?

image.jpeg

Ummmmmm heyal to the nawl. :lachen:But my hair is super stretched and I was able to put it in this dusty wide crown braid for the week. LOL

image.jpeg

Ready to tackle working out, humidity or whatever summa wanna throw at me!

PlainJane

HELP!
I have to flat iron my hair today and it only lasted a few hours the last time I did it. What can I buy to keep it sleek, straight, and shiny??

I would love to buy Sabino moisture block but it looks like I can only get it online. Does anything compare? Price isn't an option if it works. I'm natural type 4.

toaster

HELP!
I have to flat iron my hair today and it only lasted a few hours the last time I did it. What can I buy to keep it sleek, straight, and shiny??

I would love to buy Sabino moisture block but it looks like I can only get it online. Does anything compare? Price isn't an option if it works. I'm natural type 4.
I like the Mizani Thermasmooth system. But it works best if you use the shampoo, conditioner, heat protectant, etc together.

The last time I did my hair I used a CHI serum in an orange bottle (recommended by mo knows hair) and my hair was shiny for weeks.

faithVA

I'm excited about my next set. Just two more weeks.

I banded my twist yesterday and got a decent stretch.

On Monday I'm going to wash and try banding to see what type of stretch I get. I may make that my step 1 in Lulu's method and then try the flexi rods for step 2.

Last edited:

faithVA

Ooh what kind of flat iron did you buy?

I go back and forth on my current daily cowashing regimen. It's easy and fast, but some days I don't feel like touching my hair. I'm sure I'll get back into setting in the fall.

Nothing special. I bought a ConAir Pro tourmaline ceramic. I didn't want to spend too much money because I don't know if I will use it more than once.

When I do my rollerset I will try it out on a few strands. That will give me an idea if I want to do my entire head in October or December.

Last edited:

bluenvy

Haven't posted in a while in this thread. I been in buns since summer started.

I prep my hair yesterday for a sew in today. I clarified with Vo5 strawberries and cream, hard protein (aphogee), Dc with Darcy's pumpkin seed conditioner, and moisturized with Shescentit coco creme leave in and Shea moisture curl smoothie.

I will leave sew in for 8 weeks. Plan to return to roller sets when weather cools down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 37

faithVA

I prep my hair yesterday for a sew in today. I clarified with Vo5 strawberries and cream, hard protein (aphogee), Dc with Darcy's pumpkin seed conditioner, and moisturized with Shescentit coco creme leave in and Shea moisture curl smoothie.

I will leave sew in for 8 weeks. Plan to return to roller sets when weather cools down.
What is the picture of? It's very pretty.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Did another lazy summer set yesterday. This time I deep conditioned with my favorite DC (Joico MRB) and as always, it left my hair shiny and my top knot juicy. The wrap that I did last night didn't knock out as much of the curls as I would have liked but that's ok cause it will just be chilling in this top knot for the rest of the week.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing

@bluenvy It's so pretty and the cut is super cute!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97
Thank you!

How did your sew in work for you? Do you notice more growth at takedown? Sorry if you already posted on this.

@bluenvy The sew in was a much needed break from my hair, so it worked out awesome in that regard. I went on a complete hair vacation. I had it installed, maintained and taken down all at the salon. On the other hand...that black girl pat I was doing to relieve the itchiness was not cute. :lachen:

My hair grows a little above the average...well I believe so anyway. I have jet black hair color and I need to color my roots something serious. I have a whole heap of new growth, so I believe I got a good amount of growth. Honestly I don't care about the growth, I just wanted a break. :look:

I do want to get the hair re-installed when the snow comes and it gets too cold to be bothered. I'mma wear this same hair until the wheels fall off or it falls apart. LOL I purchased it around 3 years ago when I had my last sew in. After looking at the current prices for hair online....ain't no way in hell that I'mma pay all my coins out on some hair again. Once this hair is done, so am I. I'll just stick to getting my hair done once a month at the salon and letting her put it in some type of protective style with my own hair.

How are you liking your sew in so far?

faithVA

Yep just looking for a smooth stretch...with the likeness of a roller set but without the entire process. I guess a lazy roller set?

I'm going to put my thinking cap on and see what I come up with for shorter lengths. (Skipping the Bantu knots) Maybe test a bit on some shorter hair. I'll let you know what I come up with as well.
I banded in 12 sections using pieces from some old panty hose. My roots dried nicely. I have the flexi rods in now. Im ready to be done so don't know if it will be dry. I'm only going to sit under the dryer 30 more minutes.

Next time I'm going to try banding the roots only, using smaller sections and putting a flexi rod on the ends.

I may try banding the length again on the weekend when I have more time to let it dry.

toaster

I banded in 12 sections using pieces from some old panty hose. My roots dried nicely. I have the flexi rods in now. Im ready to be done so don't know if it will be dry. I'm only going to sit under the dryer 30 more minutes.

Next time I'm going to try banding the roots only, using smaller sections and putting a flexi rod on the ends.

I may try banding the length again on the weekend when I have more time to let it dry.
Can't wait to hear about your results!

faithVA

Considering it was my first time I think it turned out well. It took me forever because i banded, dried forever, put in the flexi rods and dried some more. Then I banded again. I think just doing banding in smaller sections may be faster and leave my ends smoother.

This is the stretch
IMG_20160815_231608698_HDR.jpgIMG_20160815_231635976_HDR.jpg

I put in my regular flat twist. They look so much h better on stretched hair.
IMG_20160816_242322302_HDR.jpg

faithVA

You got a nice stretch and that updo is pretty. @faithVA

Thank you. I'm so tired of flat twist. :lol: I've worn this same style all year just at different lengths. Due to the density of my hair though I'm going to need a few more inches for a decent bun.

I did get a good stretch. It's almost as good as when I blow dry. I think the smaller sections may get me closer.

toaster

Please share your practice pics. For more definition twirl the section before twisting them together. I'm sure it will be very pretty.
Thursday is my rest day for working out so I may DC, shampoo, and condition. I'll try to do 8 flat twists but when I'm done twisting to the scalp I will Bantu knot the rest of my hair. 1 hour under the dryer and dry overnight. Will see how that looks on Friday.

I'll use my qhemet Amla cream and seal with the qhemet twist pomade. Two products I have been loving.

LdyKamz

I haven't posted in here in a while because I've been in the health and fitness forum. Been doing a regular routine of Bantu knot outs and convinced myself they look the same as my perm rod set. I was just looking at my pictures of my hair thinking how did I get such a smooth curl. The answer? Roller setting with perm rods. I never knew they smoothed my hair so much. And turns out they look different than my Bantu knot out. I don't k ow why I ever thought they looked the same? I think I'll start going back to them mid week when I do my mid week cowash. I will say Bantu knot outs last longer so I think I'll start the week with that style.

BTW...still beautiful heads of hair in this thread I see. Y'all just growing longer and longer while I'm still stuck in the short range. Making progress though.

Last edited:

faithVA

I'm going to try my stretch again today. My hair held up really well last week and looked so neat. But I went cycling today and no matter the style it won't hold up to the heat, humidity and sweat :nono:

Getting ready to rinse out this mud, condition and start banding and flexi rodding :yep:

toaster

I'm determined to set next week. Does a bantu knot out count as a set? There are no rollers involved but I've never done one before.

faithVA

So the banding with the flexi rods takes too long. It wouldn't be that bad if I didn't still have to twist my hair up after I sit under the dryer.

I'm going to see if my hair dries in 1 hour and 15 minutes which is how long it takes for my curlformers to dry.

I think I will keep the banding for the days when I air dry which is rare but its nice to have. This experiment has inspired me to try a ponytail rollerset. Instead of rubber bands I will still use the panty hose. I'm going to try 4 to 6 ponytails and start from there.