“setting To Success” 2016

toaster

So the banding with the flexi rods takes too long. It wouldn't be that bad if I didn't still have to twist my hair up after I sit under the dryer.

I'm going to see if my hair dries in 1 hour and 15 minutes which is how long it takes for my curlformers to dry.

I think I will keep the banding for the days when I air dry which is rare but its nice to have. This experiment has inspired me to try a ponytail rollerset. Instead of rubber bands I will still use the panty hose. I'm going to try 4 to 6 ponytails and start from there.
The experiments we have to do to finally get our regimen down are so time consuming, but it's good that you're finding things that will work for you occasionally.

I'm hoping my bantu knots will stretch my hair for day 1. And then night 2 I can put flat twists in and turn the stretched hair into a twist out. We'll see

AgeinATL

I really have been eyeing those wave curlformers. Ms. Blue posted her results and I really liked how it came out. I wonder if it holds the same amount of hair as curlformers? I would need at least 3 sets of 20, maybe even another pack. I just don't know how I would be able to dry them because there is no way they are fitting under my Pibbs and they look too uncomfortable to sleep in. I may wait for more reviews before ordering.

@toaster, yes bantu knots count! *waits for the pictures to be posted :curtain:

Bantu knots are too hit or miss for me. When they go right, they look amazing :gorgeous:...but when they come out wrong, it is WRONG :hair:

faithVA

So my roots were stretched. My crown was dry. The sides were partially dry. And the back was soaking wet :lol: :ohwell:

So I took out the flexi rods and removed the bands. And I put two barrettes on each section and now I'm back under the dryer for 30 minutes to dry the rest of my hair. I'm not sure if I banded the roots and put barrettes on each section if that would work. It would be faster. I will add it to the experiment list.

faithVA

I think I can get hooked on stretching my hair. My flat twist look so much better. So I'm going to try to keep it up. I can be quite hair lazy though so only time will tell if I continue to do this.

I have way too much volume and my hair is still too short, to stretch and try to put it in a bun or even in a banana clip. I tried but I was struggling :lol:

I can't wait to try the pontytail rollerset next weekend :yep:

Besides stretching and straightening my hair out, curlformers cuts down on the volume of my hair I guess because it is so stretched. This makes it more manageable. Let's see if I can get that with this ponytail rollerset. I can't wait to try the pontytail rollerset next weekend :yep:

toaster

@faithVA are you still setting this weekend?

I'm under the dryer with my bantu knots. I only did 8 and it took 15 minutes to complete. I used my qhemet amla cream and sealed with the twist cream. I'm hoping I can sleep in them without them falling out in my bonnet. I detangled in the shower and while I was deep conditioning so I only smoothed with my hands before knotting. I'll stay under the dryer for an hour and then hope it's completely dry in the morning.

faithVA

I'm under the dryer with my bantu knots. I only did 8 and it took 15 minutes to complete. I used my qhemet amla cream and sealed with the twist cream. I'm hoping I can sleep in them without them falling out in my bonnet. I detangled in the shower and while I was deep conditioning so I only smoothed with my hands before knotting. I'll stay under the dryer for an hour and then hope it's completely dry in the morning.

Not exactly. I got excited so I decided to wash and set tonight. But I'm not doing a real set because I know I'm not going to wear it out. I'm just doing enough to stretch so I can trim my ends tomorrow. I threw in some curlformers with too much hair and with not pattern :ohwell:

I'm under the dryer now. I will stay under until about 10:30 let it cool for 15 minutes and then see what's happening :look:

I swear I feel like my hair isn't growing :nono:

toaster

Not exactly. I got excited so I decided to wash and set tonight. But I'm not doing a real set because I know I'm not going to wear it out. I'm just doing enough to stretch so I can trim my ends tomorrow. I threw in some curlformers with too much hair and with not pattern :ohwell:

I'm under the dryer now. I will stay under until about 10:30 let it cool for 15 minutes and then see what's happening :look:

I swear I feel like my hair isn't growing :nono:

It is growing! I see the pictures you post around the forum and it looks very full and it's definitely growing.

I gave up under the dryer at 45 minutes. It was way too hot.

krikit96

How'd the Bantu knots turn out?

faithVA

It is growing! I see the pictures you post around the forum and it looks very full and it's definitely growing.

I gave up under the dryer at 45 minutes. It was way too hot.
I only took pictures of when I took the curlformers out. My ends were so ragged I couldn't style it. I just combed it out and flat ironed so I can trim my ends tomorrow. Nothing much to see but a whole bunch of gray.

toaster

Oh my. I got a new phone and my typing is horrible. Thanks for deciphering what I'm trying to say.

Here is my bantu set. It's a little frizzy but overall I think it's pretty good for a first try. Instead of flat twisting I'll pull it up in my usual two bantu knots to sleep.

Eta: having trouble with my upload

faithVA

You did a great job flat ironing @faithVA

I would honestly only trim if your ends are full of splits. If the ends are in okay condition maybe wait until December to see if your issue is lead hairs instead of uneven growth/ breakage.
My ends are full of splits. Even after flat ironing I cant run my fingers through my hair or even comb it. I definitely need to take off an inch but I can't bring myself to do it all at once since styling my hair at this length is such a struggle.

I don't worry about it being even since its always up.

faithVA

@toaster Did you do your Bantu knots on wet, damp or towel dried hair? I agree with Faith...you got a good stretch!

@faithVA Looking good! Did you end up trimming? And if so, how much?

Thanks lulu. I trimmed about 1/4" to 1/2". I decided to do 1/2" now and another 1/2" between November and December. If I have good progress between now and December I may get it shaped up. Probably not though since I don't wear my hair out very often.

toaster

@toaster Did you do your Bantu knots on wet, damp or towel dried hair? I agree with Faith...you got a good stretch!

@faithVA Looking good! Did you end up trimming? And if so, how much?

Hey lady! I got out of the shower and put a microfiber towel on my head for about 3 minutes, then I started knotting. I didn't re-wet or comb my hair once I was out of the shower so my hair was damp but not nearly as wet as I would like it for a roller set. After 45 minutes under the dryer and sleeping overnight I was totally dry.

I wish I could get the darn picture to upload, but my set was really cute. Very very stretched and silky. I think part of that was due to the Qhemet products. I find that they really elongate my hair and keep it silky and moisturized.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
@Prettymetty What type of set do you plan on doing first?
I think the easiest one will be the satin covered foam roller set. I can just moisturize, roll and air dry. The bkt actually makes my hair dry quicker and straighter. I'm setting my hair right now with the Annie pillow rollers. I did the set around 2pm and I won't take out the rollers until tomorrow. It's my first time using the ones with satin. My cotton pillow rollers give me amazing curls, but the cotton dries out my hair.

PlainJane

I really have been eyeing those wave curlformers. Ms. Blue posted her results and I really liked how it came out. I wonder if it holds the same amount of hair as curlformers? I would need at least 3 sets of 20, maybe even another pack. I just don't know how I would be able to dry them because there is no way they are fitting under my Pibbs and they look too uncomfortable to sleep in. I may wait for more reviews before ordering.
Wave curl formers? This is the first I'm hearing about them. Google isn't pulling anything up for me.

PlainJane

I know I've said this time and time again, but I'm giving up heat for real this time! My hair just doesn't last. I almost cried I was so frustrated. I'm glad I did it though because I noticed some breakage.
I'm excited to get back to roller setting this weekend. I've been looking pretty rough without it.

faithVA

Today I'm trying stretching with a ponytail rollerset. I can already tell I'm going to have to wait until my hair is APL before I try this again. I banded the roots which worked fine but I didn't have enough hair left to go around the roller in :ohwell: I'm sitting under the dryer now for 90 minutes. I hope it dries in that time.

I think next wash I will just try a regular rollerset and see how that goes. I can do curlformers in 40 minutes. If I can do a rollerset in 40 minutes that may be how I stretch until my hair is longer. I'm running out of options :lol:

faithVA

It stretched my hair pretty well but after 90 minutes my hair wasn't dry. I should have taken the bands off after 30 minutes but didn't think of that :ohwell: After I took out the rollers my hair started to shrink up but I was able to get it twisted up before it shrank too much.

Just a regular rollerset next.

toaster

It stretched my hair pretty well but after 90 minutes my hair wasn't dry. I should have taken the bands off after 30 minutes but didn't think of that :ohwell: After I took out the rollers my hair started to shrink up but I was able to get it twisted up before it shrank too much.

Just a regular rollerset next.
Oh no! 90 minutes under the dryer and it still wasn't dry? I'm glad you were able to get a good stretch and twist your hair. I really enjoy reading about your hair experiments

faithVA

Oh no! 90 minutes under the dryer and it still wasn't dry? I'm glad you were able to get a good stretch and twist your hair. I really enjoy reading about your hair experiments

Thank you @toaster. I miss the blogs. I used to be able to track what I was doing so easily. I journal now outside of LHCF but it's not the same format.

I refuse to go past 90 minutes since I still have to twist it up. I will have to see if I can adapt it somehow. I know other ladies use rubber bands but I'm reluctant to put rubber bands in my hair. I will have to find something else to band with.

Looking forward to setting season so I can ooh and aah over some sets.