“setting To Success” 2016

coilyhaircutie

Hey ladies - just giving an update on my healthy me/healthy hair journey. Still drinking bone broth for breakfast every morning. Working out every day has put me more in tune with what my body is trying to tell me - and I realize that I go throughout the day pretty dehydrated. It's so hard to drink 100+ oz of water per day! They say you should drink a half galloon to a gallon per day. A gallon is 128 oz, but I'm trying to drink 100 oz per day. Ugh. It's so hard. I can easily drink about 50 oz...after that I start to get cranky LOL trying to work my way up there. Any tips, please share.

Does anyone else's hair have a sensitivity to nut oils? My hair can't seem to stand shea butter anymore. The same thing happened to me with coconut oil about a year ago. Now shea butter is drying out my hair. I'm going to stop using it in my cocoa butter mix and start using mango butter instead. I'll let you guys know how that goes. I also want to start using henna regularly again, in henna glosses and in sprays. I think what my fine hair really wants is extra moisture on the daily and regular protein. I don't like how dry it gets, I want it to preserve moisture better. I'm going to keep it simple, and do a gloss every other week. I was inspired by this girl Curly Proverbz.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
Are you putting apple cider vinegar in it? This helps to leech a lot of nutrients out of the bones- you don't need a lot and it won't mess up the taste.
@MileHighDiva I'm making it myself! I got the recipe from my momma. I bought the bones from the farmer's market (since its grass fed, healthier cows), cost only $3.50. I added zucchini, celery (mmm), garlic (for flavor), carrots, and spices (salt, pepper, garlic powder). Cooked in the pressure cooker for a couple hours. It's a very simple
Broth. And you know what...this is going to sound crazy but I'm seeing results already in my nails! I painted my nails on Saturday, & today I noticed my manicure was looking horrible...the tips were fine, but there was a lot of new growth at the bottom making my mani look off. Who knows, maybe my hair is having a growth spurt too. I haven't measured yet bc I don't drive myself crazy lol. I'll do a length check in December

toaster

So I'm on instagram and I find myself on a page for the curl band. The website is
http://thecurlband.com

Looks like a silky headband that helps keep your curls overnight or while working out. I just do a top knot, but it's an interesting idea.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97 What kind of rollers? From where?

@coilyhaircutie I don't use any hair ties when I set. I just make large parts and roll it up. My hair dries with fairly stretched roots. Then I sleep in two bantu knots and that further stretches my roots. My hair is pretty straight all week from the 16 rollers.

@toaster

I purchased:

10 packs of these jumbo 1 and 3/4 inch:

IMG_1455.JPG

3 packs of these:

IMG_1459.JPG

(Which I plan on using 1 pack of to cut the satin off and line my perm rods with)

1 pack of these for setting my edges/nape.

IMG_1461.JPG
I ordered from House of Beauty. I can't vouch for them just yet as this company is new to me. What I can say is this: My credit card was only charged once, I ordered on Monday, it was shipped on Tuesday and due to arrive on Thursday. Once the package comes and everything is accounted for, I'll feel better about recommending.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Also @toaster

Based on your review, I tried some samples of Qhemet moisturizers for my ends. I washed today so I decided to test them out on different areas of my hair.

I tried the amla cream. It was nice, especially on my son's hair.

The burdock cream. I liked this better than amla cream.

And the honey balm or something like that. This one was my favorite! It felt so nice going on my ends, I decided to slide it up the length. Unlike any other natural product, my hair was left so shiny and my curls so juicy. This says alot especially since the U shaped horseshoe area at my crown and top of my head is the dryest. It made my hair bow down.

IMG_1424.JPG

I will repurchase the full size of the balm and burdock cream after the samples are used up.

faithVA

@toaster

I purchased:

View attachment 376279

3 packs of these:

View attachment 376281

(Which I plan on using 1 pack of to cut the satin off and line my perm rods with)

View attachment 376283
I ordered from House of Beauty. I can't vouch for them just yet as this company is new to me. What I can say is this: My credit card was only charged once, I ordered on Monday, it was shipped on Tuesday and due to arrive on Thursday. Once the package comes and everything is accounted for, I'll feel better about recommending.
I used the perm rods from both of these brands. I got them from the bss. One of them sacked but I don't remember which one. The band's just snapped off the first time I used them. :sad:

toaster

Also @toaster

Based on your review, I tried some samples of Qhemet moisturizers for my ends. I washed today so I decided to test them out on different areas of my hair.

And the honey balm or something like that. This one was my favorite! It felt so nice going on my ends, I decided to slide it up the length. Unlike any other natural product, my hair was left so shiny and my curls so juicy. This says alot especially since the U shaped horseshoe area at my crown and top of my head is the dryest. It made my hair bow down.

View attachment 376285

I will repurchase the full size of the balm and burdock cream after the samples are used up.
Gorgeous as usual @lulu97. I loved the qhemet amla for my hair. I'm going to try using the twist butter on my ends while my hair is set, to see if it causes any reversion.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I used the perm rods from both of these brands. I got them from the bss. One of them sacked but I don't remember which one. The band's just snapped off the first time I used them. :sad:

You know what :scratchchin:....I have perm rods that the top pops off all the time and they are never quite the same after. Even if I put the top back on, it's just bad quality so I've started throwing them away once they pop off one time. I have no clue which brand it is either. We need to figure this bad seed out! LOL

faithVA

You know what :scratchchin:....I have perm rods that the top pops off all the time and they are never quite the same after. Even if I put the top back on, it's just bad quality so I've started throwing them away once they pop off one time. I have no clue which brand it is either. We need to figure this bad seed out! LOL
I threw mine away and just bought Sally's brand. It was worth the extra money. I will check to see if I have an unopened pack.

coilyhaircutie

Also @toaster

View attachment 376285

Cute curls! It reminds me so much of my curl pattern

Jas123

The Star of a Story
Yes, I only put in a splash though, probably around a tablespoon. How much do you usually put?
I haven't made any yet, but all the recipes I found have acv included and why vinegar is used- I just wanted to give you a tip so you could get the most benefit from your broth (when you listed all the ingredients I didn;t see acv).
BTW: I'm having a hard time finding grass fed bones because no one keeps the bones, so I'm going to make some broth out of organic chicken bones. But in the mean time I found some organic/grass fed beef bone broth in Whole Foods frozen section and that's what I'm drinking.

eta: I think a splash/tbsp is enough

coilyhaircutie

@lulu97 What kind of rollers? From where?

@coilyhaircutie I don't use any hair ties when I set. I just make large parts and roll it up. My hair dries with fairly stretched roots. Then I sleep in two bantu knots and that further stretches my roots. My hair is pretty straight all week from the 16 rollers.
@toaster Your detangling game must be on point. When I try to use less rollers, one of the issues I run into is that I have to detangle my hair in smaller sections - and since I'm doing that anyway, I add a roller to each small section.

coilyhaircutie

I haven't made any yet, but all the recipes I found have acv included and why vinegar is used- I just wanted to give you a tip so you could get the most benefit from your broth (when you listed all the ingredients I didn;t see acv).
BTW: I'm having a hard time finding grass fed bones because no one keeps the bones, so I'm going to make some broth out of organic chicken bones. But in the mean time I found some organic/grass fed beef bone broth in Whole Foods frozen section and that's what I'm drinking.

eta: I think a splash/tbsp is enough
That sounds good! I got my bones from the farmer's market near by me. They have every piece of the cow LOL since it was farm raised. I live just a couple hours away from Amish farms, and they come out to the city and sell their produce and meats. That's how I know it's the good stuff. You could try a farmer's market.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@toaster

I purchased:

View attachment 376279

3 packs of these:

View attachment 376281

View attachment 376283

Alright guys....package arrived. It was well packed and secured from top to bottom. All items have been accounted for. I forgot I ordered a shampoo brush as well. LOL

IMG_1469.JPG