“setting To Success” 2016

faithVA

I mud washed and gelled in the shower. I put flat twist in the back and permanent rods in the front. I've been under the dryer for an hour. I probably need another hour. I will sleep in the perm rods and hope they are dry in the morning. I've never gotten a set to work with gel. I'm hoping this is different :ohwell:

faithVA

OK gel and rollersets for me are a fail. I was under the dryer for 1.5 hours and then slept in the perm rods overnight for 9 hours and I still had to blow dry the front this morning :nono:

My hair was sticky and dull looking. It also had too much texture and did the straighten out like it usually does. So when I separated the curls it just looked like a fuzzy fro. Even though I used the orange perm rods my curls were super tight.

I ended up flat twisting the front.

I remember trying gel and diluted gel a few times last year and it didn't work so I'm done with that experiment.

I'm glad I'd did it now though. I want to roerset for an event at the end of the month and would have been made if it turned out like it did today.

toaster

OK gel and rollersets for me are a fail. I was under the dryer for 1.5 hours and then slept in the perm rods overnight for 9 hours and I still had to blow dry the front this morning :nono:

My hair was sticky and dull looking. It also had too much texture and did the straighten out like it usually does. So when I separated the curls it just looked like a fuzzy fro. Even though I used the orange perm rods my curls were super tight.

I remember trying gel and diluted gel a few times last year and it didn't work so I'm done with that experiment.

I'm glad I'd did it now though. I want to roerset for an event at the end of the month and would have been made if it turned out like it did today.
I've never been able to get gel or setting lotion to work for me in a set either. My hair just gets so sticky and the curls are crispy and I can't comb them.

For the longest time I was watery leave in only for roller setting, but adding a serum was the best thing i ever did. The hair looks shiny, dries faster, and is easier to detangle because of all the silicone.

faithVA

I've never been able to get gel or setting lotion to work for me in a set either. My hair just gets so sticky and the curls are crispy and I can't comb them.

For the longest time I was watery leave in only for roller setting, but adding a serum was the best thing i ever did. The hair looks shiny, dries faster, and is easier to detangle because of all the silicone.
You use a serum before applying the roller? What serum do you use? I know you told us. I may have to try this before the end of the month. The only serum I have is ION something or other.

toaster

You use a serum before applying the roller? What serum do you use? I know you told us. I may have to try this before the end of the month. The only serum I have is ION something or other.
I use chi deep brilliance silk reflection serum. It comes in an orange bottle and I've only ever seen it on amazon,not on the ground.

It's the only serum I've used so I can't compare it to anything, but it's literally all silicone.

And yes! I use it before rolling. I set my hair in six sections. I take one section down, apply leave in, comb with wide tooth comb, apply about a quarter size serum (keep in mind how much hair I have) and separate the section into smaller sections to roll. I detangle with a smaller toothed comb, and roll it up. I repeat for each large section.

I'm a serum fan now.

faithVA

I use chi deep brilliance silk reflection serum. It comes in an orange bottle and I've only ever seen it on amazon,not on the ground.

It's the only serum I've used so I can't compare it to anything, but it's literally all silicone.

And yes! I use it before rolling. I set my hair in six sections. I take one section down, apply leave in, comb with wide tooth comb, apply about a quarter size serum (keep in mind how much hair I have) and separate the section into smaller sections to roll. I detangle with a smaller toothed comb, and roll it up. I repeat for each large section.

I'm a serum fan now.
Thanks. I may try what I have on a few sections to see how it works.

coilyhaircutie

@faithVA
I use this gel to set every week:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003...The+Desert&dpPl=1&dpID=415fpVXJDAL&ref=plSrch
Works great for me & it's the only gel that works well in my hair. I put it on my damp hair, put my my cocoa butter mix over top, detangle, then roll up my hair. I dry my hair under the dryer for a half to an hour.

When I take my rollers out in the morning the next day, my curls are tight and "hard" (very molded to the roller), like you see in my pictures a couple pages back. I rub Argan oil in my hands, then rub it through my curls & separate them to loosen up the curls, and within minutes they're light & fluffy. That's what works for me & it lasts all week long. Just sharing in case it's helpful for you too :)

faithVA

@faithVA
I use this gel to set every week:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003...The+Desert&dpPl=1&dpID=415fpVXJDAL&ref=plSrch
Works great for me & it's the only gel that works well in my hair. I put it on my damp hair, put my my cocoa butter mix over top, detangle, then roll up my hair. I dry my hair under the dryer for a half to an hour.

When I take my rollers out in the morning the next day, my curls are tight and "hard" (very molded to the roller), like you see in my pictures a couple pages back. I rub Argan oil in my hands, then rub it through my curls & separate them to loosen up the curls, and within minutes they're light & fluffy. That's what works for me & it lasts all week long. Just sharing in case it's helpful for you too :)
Thanks. I'm not sure if it will work or not. I may try again in the spring.

coilyhaircutie

Did a henna gloss treatment yesterday. Used Jamila henna mixed with my regular DC Silicon Mix. Rinsed out, cowashed, then did a flat twist and curl with my regular products. Hair felt slightly stronger after doing the henna. I plan to do a henna gloss every 4 weeks to strengthen my hair and my ends. My hair is still tied up in a scarf until work on Monday. Will try to take a pic of my hair and post it here.
IMG_6297.jpg
I also made a henna tea (recipe from YouTuber Curly Proverbz) and bought a new leave-in conditioner from Oyin. I used to seal with water and my cocoa butter mix but my hair is having trouble retaining moisture with those 2 products. So I'm decided to step my moisture game up. I plan to moisturize with water + Oyin + cocoa butter on Monday and henna tea + Oyin + cocoa butter on Tuesday, and alternate days.
IMG_6324.jpg
Ever since I started drinking bone broth for breakfast, I'm seeing baby hairs sprout up along my hairline in places where it has never been before. Which is funny because the whole reason I started drinking this broth was to clear my skin not grow my hair. The baby hairs are tiny little wisps though, probably no one but me can notice it yet haha.

Retention has always been my Public Enemy #1. For the past 3 years, no matter what I do, my hair has not retained beyond 2 inches a year. Through research, I believe that my problem is internal – my hair grows out from my scalp extremely prone to breakage (more so than most people's hair). If my theory is right, I need to work on being healthier overall by intaking more protein (broth), drinking a lot more water (at least 2 liters a day), getting more micronutrients in my system (green juice, etc), and working out daily. I've been doing all 4 for the past 3 days. I hope to also clear up my acne-prone skin this way too, which I suffer with even though I'm in my 20s now -__- Wish me luck. Waist length December 2017 or bust.

Attachments

• IMG_6365.jpg
    IMG_6365.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 60

beingofserenity

I did my first curl former set on natural hair! I did it because I wanted an easy, no frills and no heat way to stretch my hair. I waa concerned about my ends as I have been wet bunning for the past two months and I know how jacked up my ends get when I leave them to just curl. I've been reading over these setting threads for advice and I can see myself doing this for the long term as my hair grows out. Not sure yet how to style. hair look dark and lustrous. I was thinking of dying it, but I doubt I will as the natural color looks so pretty on its own.

I used sm curl milk and chi silk infusion. I want to forego the chi next time because I don't want to have to shampoo the cones out. I'd like to cowash and use poo every 2-3 weeks, or when I do a protein treatment. Hopefully it still looks as sheeny/shiny without the chi.

PlainJane

I've been so hair lazy lately but it's been helping my hair. I just slather moisturizer and butter all over it and don't touch it every few days. Also, the jbco has really helped my scalp.

As much as I like washing my hair weekly, the roller sets are starting be too much. So I'm going to try alternating between roller sets and air drying in twists with the scarf method.

I'm going to order this. I've been looking for something with more hold that isn't a setting lotion.

coilyhaircutie

@PlainJane I hope it works as well for you as it does for me! I love that gel. I put it in a recycled pump bottle so it's easier for me to distribute on hair day. Love it.

Hey ladies, do you ever watch people of other ethnicities talk about how they grow their hair out of curiosity? I always try to see if there are "hair secrets" out there in other cultures that I may be missing out on lol.

I just discovered this girl, I believe she's Indian. Her hair is healthy, strong, thick, and beyond booty length. She has different tips from anyone I've heard before, like onion juice in your hair lolol:

There is also this German YouTuber who lived in India & grew her hair from mid back to past booty length lol:

This British guy with red curly hair who uses ORS relaxer to straighten his hair:
I don't relax, but I think it's really interesting how people that aren't black use traditionally black products for their own needs. The world is changing.

Just sharing some clips while we wait for our hair to retain & grow to our goal lengths ;)

coilyhaircutie

Also, an update on my hair- I'm seeing more growth in the 3-4 weeks that I've cleaned up my diet & started working out than I have before. My simple henna tea spritz is really helping me to retain my length better than any other product I've used. I feel so dumb. Years & years of spending my money on products & jumping on hair care bandwagons when all I had to do was work out every day, drink bone broth for breakfast instead of eating waffles, and spritz with henna every other day. Two nights in a row, I've dreamt I had tail bone length, thick, strong healthy hair. I think it's God telling me I'm on the right path. I know I still have work to do though. I want to cut sugar out of my diet. My skin is driving me crazy and I think sugar is the culprit for these breakouts *SIGH*. I love it so much...but I'm going to fast & not eat it for 30 days and see what happens. Which will be SO HARD during the holidays but I'm going to do my best & let God do the rest.

toaster

I'm under the dryer with my weekly set now. I planned to wash yesterday but the lock on my front door decided not to work so I couldn't get into my apartment. Maintenance had to come drill the lock open and replace it.

I've discovered that detangling my hair every night with a wide tooth comb keeps the weekend tangles away.

nycutiepie

I did my first curl former set on natural hair! I did it because I wanted an easy, no frills and no heat way to stretch my hair. I waa concerned about my ends as I have been wet bunning for the past two months and I know how jacked up my ends get when I leave them to just curl. I've been reading over these setting threads for advice and I can see myself doing this for the long term as my hair grows out. Not sure yet how to style. hair look dark and lustrous. I was thinking of dying it, but I doubt I will as the natural color looks so pretty on its own.

I used sm curl milk and chi silk infusion. I want to forego the chi next time because I don't want to have to shampoo the cones out. I'd like to cowash and use poo every 2-3 weeks, or when I do a protein treatment. Hopefully it still looks as sheeny/shiny without the chi.
I'm going to try my first curlformer on natural set today even though I've had them for years :look:. I need to determine what type of styler/setting foam I want to get that will give me shine and hold without weighing it down. I am trying to avoid the usage of all silicones in my hair.

PlainJane

I'm going to try my first curlformer on natural set today even though I've had them for years :look:. I need to determine what type of styler/setting foam I want to get that will give me shine and hold without weighing it down. I am trying to avoid the usage of all silicones in my hair.
I was going to suggest PM skinny serum before I read the rest of your message

faithVA

I plan on setting this weekend. I wanted to set tonight but got a late start. I've shampooed and not deep conditioning. After I rinse I'm going to apply color which I haven't done in a couple months I think. I will loosely twist it tonight and then install curlformers tomorrow. I need to do it first thing in the morning to get it out of the way. Commit! Commit! Commit!

PlainJane

I know this thread is about setting but it's really the only one I post in, but I was looking at old pics of myself on Facebook and I think I've let myself go.
I used to always have my hair done and everything done. Probably because I wore weave constantly but I need to start doing my hair more even though I don't think I'll be satisfied until it's long.
Aaaaaand I need to start taking better care of my skin and body. I think all of this started when I started this stressful job. I look like I've aged 10 years and it's only been 5 smh.
Okay. Vent over :)

faithVA

I know this thread is about setting but it's really the only one I post in, but I was looking at old pics of myself on Facebook and I think I've let myself go.
I used to always have my hair done and everything done. Probably because I wore weave constantly but I need to start doing my hair more even though I don't think I'll be satisfied until it's long.
Aaaaaand I need to start taking better care of my skin and body. I think all of this started when I started this stressful job. I look like I've aged 10 years and it's only been 5 smh.
Okay. Vent over :)
You caught it in time. Now it's time to take action

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I did my 1st set of the season tonight using the entire CHI Keratin line. I prefer the It's a 10 LI over the CHI Keratin LI. The It's a 10 has more slip.

I got my @lulu97 on by having a glass of vino while getting the rollers upside my head. I used the Bouncy Curl rollers to set with.

Also, I took the Ms. Toasty (@toaster) setting cap for a whirl. I was only under the dryer for 45 mins. I meant to check my hair at 30 mins, but got distracted watching tv.

I bought an office chair from Goodwill to use while setting, but I don't know how to adjust the height, so it may be a bust. I'm going to have someone look at it and see if they can figure it out.

Attachments

• 20161029_225130.jpg
    20161029_225130.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 20161029_225039.jpg
    20161029_225039.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 44