“setting To Success” 2016

faithVA

I'm in mini braids at the moment. Washing and roller setting them as needed. Easy Peasy!

Not interested in Black Friday shopping for hair stuff. I'm saving up for 2 wall water fountains for my girl room. I can't decide between one that you mount on the wall like this:

View attachment 378775
Or a floor model (indoor version) like this:

View attachment 378777

So I'm saving for both. :D
They cost a pretty penny so I'm watching my coins. LOL

The hair products I have should last me another solid 3 months so I'll shop again for staples in February'ish.
I love the floor model. Might look best in a very large room though.

faithVA

I tried spritz and gel with perm rods on the front section of my hair. I was testing it out for an interview tomorrow . The curs were too small and it was fuzzy. I will probably end up doing large flat twist in the front because now I don't feel like being bothered :lol:

They are going to have to hire me with flat twist or not at all.

coilyhaircutie

Hi ladies. Does anyone want to talk about hair? Exciting Black Friday lists?
Hey ladies. Regardless of who's in office in January, I know I'll be crying on Inauguration Day when the Obamas leave. It was so beautiful having a Black First Family. I will miss their grace, dignity, spirit, class, and professionalism. I'm proud to have lived under their presidency. They make me proud to be an American (unlike some people...lol).

Anyways, enough of that! I want to talk hair too @toaster. I didn't wash my hair today, I have a head cold & have been feeling achey lately. Flat twisted my roots & rollerset the ends. My longest hairs are two inches away from waist length (!!!). Most of my hair is still full BSL/MBL though. Since changing up my diet & working out,& using henna, I've sustained 1 inch of growth in a month. Hoping to keep this up for the rest of the year. I bought Gro Aut oil LOL. We'll see if this helps any. Gonna use it consistently this week.

Want to do a light dusting soon, maybe next week. It's been a minute.

Is anyone else's curls less curly more towards the ends? As my hair grows longer, my curls hang looser towards the ends. It's pretty noticeable. My hair at the ends is also shiner when I set it on rollers. It could also be the henna, but I only put a tablespoon in my DC & my henna tea spray. I'm not doing full-on treatments (ain't no body got time for that)

coilyhaircutie

I'll go first.
1. I learned that my hair is baby fine. My hair is too fine for heavy butters like cocoa or shea butter on the regular. She prefers light moisturizers like Oyin Handmade or Camille Rose Moisture Milk da
2. Protective styles can be stressful to my hair. They hide my ends, but it causes stress to my hairline & crown to be constantly pulled up. I need to find an "every day" retention hairstyle that's an alternative to buns
3. Pray harder for healthy waist length hair
4. No dominican blowouts for me in 2017

What I want to learn:
1. What it feels like to swaang WL hair, once get there :)
2. A few office-friendly protective styles that don't stress my Edges

AgeinATL

Reflections. Ladies, what did your hair teach you in 2016? What do you want to learn in 2017?

Good questions!

What my hair taught me in 2016:
1. Don't neglect trims. Even small ones can help to keep your ends healthy.
2. Be consistent with your products. Now that I have my staples, my hair has taken off. No more testing new products and paying the price when they don't work!
3. I need to rollerset more consistently. My ends look and feel amazing after setting. I feel like it greatly reduces SSKs too.
4. It likes to be left alone. I now know what this truly means. I am no longer constantly in my hair. No more daily MnSing. I infuse enough moisture in my hair on wash day and my twists keep my hair mositurized until my next wash day.
5. My hair and scalp need weekly washes.
6. No more cowashing. My hair and scalp likes and needs to be cleansed with shampoo.

What I want to learn in 2017:
1. How to further minimize SSKs (see #3 above)
2. How to minimize breakage. I think that relates to #1 above. When your ends need to be trimmed, the tension from trying to detangle cray-cray ends causes some breakage.
3. How to fit my hair under a wig and have it lay flat.
4. How to shorten my wash day. May have to start using rinse outs to help with detangling.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Good questions!

What my hair taught me in 2016:
1. Don't neglect trims. Even small ones can help to keep your ends healthy.
2. Be consistent with your products. Now that I have my staples, my hair has taken off. No more testing new products and paying the price when they don't work!
3. I need to rollerset more consistently. My ends look and feel amazing after setting. I feel like it greatly reduces SSKs too.
4. It likes to be left alone. I now know what this truly means. I am no longer constantly in my hair. No more daily MnSing. I infuse enough moisture in my hair on wash day and my twists keep my hair mositurized until my next wash day.
5. My hair and scalp need weekly washes.
6. No more cowashing. My hair and scalp likes and needs to be cleansed with shampoo.

What I want to learn in 2017:
1. How to further minimize SSKs (see #3 above)
2. How to minimize breakage. I think that relates to #1 above. When your ends need to be trimmed, the tension from trying to detangle cray-cray ends causes some breakage.
3. How to fit my hair under a wig and have it lay flat.
4. How to shorten my wash day. May have to start using rinse outs to help with detangling.

Are you sure about this?? If so, spill what youre using @AgeinATL

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
The questions made me realize that this month was my 1 year anniversary of being fully natural after a million years of transitioning. I usually don't care about keeping up with dates but 2016 did bring a few realizations with being "natural".

2016 taught me that my ends still need to remain stretched and smooth to minimize ssk's and tangles. My natural hair is so easy. It requires hardly any products and holds moisture like nobody's business. No need for co-cleansing anymore. I prefer the feeling of a super clean product free scalp.

2017 I'm looking forward to moving beyond scheduled/ strict this and that. Just going with the flow and truly listening to my hair.

AgeinATL

Are you sure about this?? If so, spill what youre using @AgeinATL

LOL!!! Girl, it took me YEARS to find staples in every category and know that I don't need some things that others do (like oil. my hair HATES oils).

I use (surprisingly, a lot of SM....never thought I would be a SM-head):
SM JBCO shampoo-cleanses without stripping
Clarifying shampoo-ORS creamy aloe
DCs: SM Sacha Inchi and Superfruit Masks topped with YAM
Protein: Was using Shescentit Okra but experimenting with Komaza care's protein treatment
Leave-ins: Oyin Hair Dew (BAE) and I 'seal' with Camille Rose JAI. For rollersets, I use shescentit's coco crème leave in.

That's it! Boring, I know, but these products work!

I have a refresher spray and a leave-in from APB in my cart to try based on you guys' suggestions, but I am mostly buying staples and body products during BF.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
My hair reminded me in 2016 that it likes to be left alone. Also, my scalp had a fit and remined me that we don't do msm unless it's in QB products.

In 2017, I'll stay the course and stick to what I know works for my hair and scalp, regarding product formulations and techniques.

@coilyhaircutie, I bought some frozen beef broth from Sprouts last week to have on hand the next time I cleanse my system.

OnMyThrone

Detangling properly is all my hair needed

The product Tweak'd changed the hair game for me

Apple cider vinegar diluted with water is the best detangler ever
Melts my new growth and has changed the way my hair operates with all products

I use very little products and my hair is thriving

Using a zillion different products do not work for me
My hair thrives with consistency

Also the right supplements make a huge difference

toaster

Excellent question @coilyhaircutie

This year my hair taught me to stop messing around and stretch my ends. And that it could handle heat more often than once every year or so. Also that it wants to be detangled with a comb at least every other day.

Next year I hope to take my hair on cruise control. Keep setting. Keep wearing it down when I want. Enjoy it and treat it well.

I'll be starting the 2017 thread next week!!

coilyhaircutie

My hair reminded me in 2016 that it likes to be left alone. Also, my scalp had a fit and remined me that we don't do msm unless it's in QB products.

In 2017, I'll stay the course and stick to what I know works for my hair and scalp, regarding product formulations and techniques.

@coilyhaircutie, I bought some frozen beef broth from Sprouts last week to have on hand the next time I cleanse my system.
Yay!! It's so great to nourish your body. Whenever I make it, I make it in huge batches & freeze it in small containers.

toaster

For the first time in (forever?) I actually did small sections and used over 20 rollers to set my hair. I'm hoping for a smooth holiday set, although I plan on working out through Wednesday so that may be futile.

Sometimes when I'm setting I forget if I've applied leave in and serum to a certain section. I always find out if I double applied because my hair in that section is sticky when it's dry. I need to be more mindful when I'm setting, but I usually zone out to youtube videos.

faithVA

Did a mudwash and color tonight. Installed my curlformers in 45 minutes which is good for me. I'm not under the dryer for another 30 minutes. I will let my hair cool for 15 minutes and then remove the curlformers. I'm going to use the TGIN Twist and Curl Creme with flexi rods to hold the style over night. I'm hoping I can at least get 1 day of wear out of this hair. The TGIN doesn't have any humectants so I'm hoping that helps.

I'm pretty sure my ends need a dusting so not sure if I can even separate the curls properly :ohwell:

I'm trying to do a test run for the Xmas party next week. If it doesn't work out not sure how I'm wearing my hair to the Xmas party. It may be faux bun time :yep:

toaster

Did a mudwash and color tonight. Installed my curlformers in 45 minutes which is good for me. I'm not under the dryer for another 30 minutes. I will let my hair cool for 15 minutes and then remove the curlformers. I'm going to use the TGIN Twist and Curl Creme with flexi rods to hold the style over night. I'm hoping I can at least get 1 day of wear out of this hair. The TGIN doesn't have any humectants so I'm hoping that helps.

I'm pretty sure my ends need a dusting so not sure if I can even separate the curls properly :ohwell:

I'm trying to do a test run for the Xmas party next week. If it doesn't work out not sure how I'm wearing my hair to the Xmas party. It may be faux bun time :yep:
What did you use to set your curlformers? Do you think you need to add another product to set on flexi rods afterwards?

faithVA

What did you use to set your curlformers? Do you think you need to add another product to set on flexi rods afterwards?

This time I just spritzed on the leave-in. Last time I tried products but they didn't make any difference. My hair seems to do better with nothing on it. I tried the serum last time and it made my hair too soft.

I'm going to try the TGIN twist and curl creme with the flexi rods to see if I can get more hold. I think all of my gels have glycerin in them so I'm going to steer clear of them for now.

toaster

This time I just spritzed on the leave-in. Last time I tried products but they didn't make any difference. My hair seems to do better with nothing on it. I tried the serum last time and it made my hair too soft.

I'm going to try the TGIN twist and curl creme with the flexi rods to see if I can get more hold. I think all of my gels have glycerin in them so I'm going to steer clear of them for now.
Let us know how it turns out! I find my hair holds pretty well without additional product, but it didn't start doing that until I got more length for some reason.