“setting To Success” 2016

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I did another curl former set yesterday.
I really need to figure out what steps to cut out to make my wash day routine shorter. I was rushing and it still took hours.
My set was smooth and shiny but that didn't last. It looks like the Paul Mitchell setting lotion isn't the answer to all my problems.
I'm going to try flax seed gel next.

@PlainJane My humble advice would be not to rush your wash day. To me wash day is the day when you should take your time and go all out, so the rest of your week can be gravy. I spend about 2 to 3 hours on my hair on wash day but the rest of the week, it basically goes untouched besides spending about 10 minutes midweek to remove shed hairs and moisturize.

I look forward to seeing how you like the flax seed gel. Foams never did anything for me, even when flexi sets were main setting choice.

Dalisha

Hey ladies!!! You all have gorgeous hair!!!

I'm currently Shoulder length and I'm natural. I just recently began to set. This is my 2nd time this month. I'm pretty basic when it comes to products ; Giovanni shampoo and conditioner... I also use olive oil/coconut oil to seal. I plan to set for the remainder of the year with perm rods until I retain more length. I hope to be middle back length by years end!!! I will set on wet/damp hair and if still wet in morning, I'll set under hooded dryer on low...

The 1st pic is from the beginning of the month... 1st set but the back was frizzy due to not letting being all the way dry...

The 2nd pic is from 2 days ago. I hate that it's neck length but I love the style so I'll be okay!!!

Question: I don't like to pineapple so what's another way to maintain curls??

ETA::: I use the orange, white and purple perm rods to have different sized curls smaller curls in front and larger in the middle and back...

Happy setting

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    789.3 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    488.7 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:

toaster

Used my salon care bouffant rollers tonight. They really make getting your ends straight easy, you just have to be careful to keep your hair to the center of the roller or else you may get stuck. I don't see a huge different between these and the magnetic rollers except my dry time decreased by 30 minutes and I feel like my roots are pulled more taut.

I love them and will use them again next week.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 89

coilyhaircutie

Wash day! I DC'ed under the dryer. In the shower, I rinsed with ACV and cowashed- that took under 18 minutes. (yay!)

When I put in my curlformers tonight...wow. @toaster and @lulu97 thank you so much for your advice on my hair regimen. After just one week of less manipulation, I'm seeing serious results in my hair! I was putting my curlformers in, and my hair is sticking out the bottom of them! I have the 14" curlformers.

Most of my hair on my head is sticking out the end of the curlformers -- with the exception of the hair around my perimeter, particularly in the back of my head. I find this to be a little distressing. Do any of you know why this might be? I think the hair in the front of my head is shorter because it's baby hairs around the perimeter. But in the back, at the nape of my hair, I'm not sure what's causing it to grow slower/potentially break off more. I think probably when I used to wear my hair down more, it caused too much friction in the back of my hair. (?) Or maybe it doesn't like being pulled into high buns (?). It's just a theory, I don't know.

I'm going to try to wear more styles that cause less stress to that area in the back. So- low buns, faux bobs, etc. Anyone else have any style ideas? Or ideas why the back of my hair is shorter than the rest of it?

I plan to buy new curlformers soon :) When my hair is so long I can't get away with the 14" any more. Maybe once I hit the 16" mark? haha

momi

Hey ladies!!! You all have gorgeous hair!!!

I'm currently Shoulder length and I'm natural. I just recently began to set. This is my 2nd time this month. I'm pretty basic when it comes to products ; Giovanni shampoo and conditioner... I also use olive oil/coconut oil to seal. I plan to set for the remainder of the year with perm rods until I retain more length. I hope to be middle back length by years end!!! I will set on wet/damp hair and if still wet in morning, I'll set under hooded dryer on low...

The 1st pic is from the beginning of the month... 1st set but the back was frizzy due to not letting being all the way dry...

The 2nd pic is from 2 days ago. I hate that it's neck length but I love the style so I'll be okay!!!

Question: I don't like to pineapple so what's another way to maintain curls??

ETA::: I use the orange, white and purple perm rods to have different sized curls smaller curls in front and larger in the middle and back...

Happy setting

These sets are very pretty! Did you use any setting lotion at all?

Dalisha

@lulu97 I tried your method as far as trying to have the style/curls last longer. But when I went to style it didn't turn out as I hoped... The back was flat and I couldn't "revive" the curls... The tops and sides were still good... So I opted for a updo and came up with this:::

I like it and it's something different

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97 I tried your method as far as trying to have the style/curls last longer. But when I went to style it didn't turn out as I hoped... The back was flat and I couldn't "revive" the curls... The tops and sides were still good... So I opted for a updo and came up with this:::

I like it and it's something different

@Dalisha Yes honey you worked it right on out. Updo's are classic beauties and you can't go wrong there!

I could get a good 3 days of wearing my curly sets all the way down, but then I would resort to updo's too cause the back curls would always get too stretched out and wonky. I keep layers as they are good for faux styles.

I would braid the back and use the layered top hair for a faux bob like this:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Or a high pony puff with faux bangs like this:

image.jpeg

coilyhaircutie

@Dalisha Yes honey you worked it right on out. Updo's are classic beauties and you can't go wrong there!

I could get a good 3 days of wearing my curly sets all the way down, but then I would resort to updo's too cause the back curls would always get too stretched out and wonky. I keep layers as they are good for faux styles.

I would braid the back and use the layered top hair for a faux bob like this:

View attachment 350013

View attachment 350015

Or a high pony puff with faux bangs like this:

View attachment 350017
@lulu97 nice faux bob tut. thanks!

coilyhaircutie

This is my protective style of the week. I was inspired by Condola Rashad's hair in the 2013 Romeo and Juliet play. Two flat twists in the front, a headband. Then I pinned up my hair in the back. I got a lot of compliments on my hair at work today. Even my mom approved lol and her approval does not come easily.

At night, I plan to unpin the hair at the back and wear it in a low, loose scrunchie. I will keep the front twists in though. This way, I'm not manipulating the hair in the front or the back too much. Not gonna moisturize tonight, since my hair feels okay. Will moisturize tomorrow night.
DSCN0365.jpg DSCN0370.jpg DSCN0368.jpg
DSCN0369.jpg
Also, kind of interesting but off topic- my hair is starting to grow in like a 3b at the roots in some parts. It's funny because when I first big chopped, my hair was that texture, but then got tighter and more 3c/4a as it grew. My hair is full of surprises lol, never a dull moment.

PlainJane

@PlainJane My humble advice would be not to rush your wash day. To me wash day is the day when you should take your time and go all out, so the rest of your week can be gravy. I spend about 2 to 3 hours on my hair on wash day but the rest of the week, it basically goes untouched besides spending about 10 minutes midweek to remove shed hairs and moisturize.

I look forward to seeing how you like the flax seed gel. Foams never did anything for me, even when flexi sets were main setting choice.

I would love to get it down to 2-3 hours! Haha it took me 5 hours this time.

I liked foams when I was doing traditional sets because it elongated my curls a little and made it easier to place the hair on the roller. Now that I'm using curlformers, there's really no use for that and I'm starting to realize that the foam isn't giving me any moisture and that's what I need the most.

PlainJane

Wash day! I DC'ed under the dryer. In the shower, I rinsed with ACV and cowashed- that took under 18 minutes. (yay!)

When I put in my curlformers tonight...wow. @toaster and @lulu97 thank you so much for your advice on my hair regimen. After just one week of less manipulation, I'm seeing serious results in my hair! I was putting my curlformers in, and my hair is sticking out the bottom of them! I have the 14" curlformers.

What product do you use with your curlformers?

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
For challengers wanting to join, after thanking this post answer the following questions:
Current hair length: Natural U-shaped layers between hip & tailbone

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: 4B natural, low porosity, high density coarse strands that shrink to ears

Current Setting method and styling choices: I use 1-1½ inch perm rods, foam rollers, twist-n-curl, soft spiral rollers with soft bonnet dryer; will use Curlformers, flexirods & jumbo (2 inch) mesh and magnetic rollers with Pibbs. My current styles are buns & twist updos.

Current Setting products: Most of my HGs were discontinued or reformulated. I'll test products that will handle FL humidity.
Leave-in Conditioners: EO Everyday Lavender, SM Zanzibar Marine Complex, Raw SheaButter, Oyin Hair Dew & Honey Hemp, Qhemet Moringa Tree Conditioning Ghee, Tropic Isle Living JBCO spray, Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier, Tressemme Naturals & Perfectly (Un)Done

Setting Products: Aubrey B5 Design Gel, Bronner Bros Foam Wrapping Lotion, Cantu SheaButter for Natural Hair Twist & Lock Gel, EcoStyler Hold 7 (pink) gel, Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel, Garnier Fructis Style Curl Shaping Spray Gel, LottaBody Shape Me Custard Gelée, LottaBody Style Me Texturizing Lotion & Ricitos de Oro Manzanilla Styling Gel

Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: I hope to decrease styling time, webbing at my roots, puffy ends and stretch my hair for styling versatility.

How long do you plan to set?: currently monthly; once every 2 weeks when I get my Pibbs dryer

Post a beginning picture
My last wet set & length check was in 2014
CurlFormerFail.jpg LengthCheck092014.jpg

Pin Curls on twists (December 2015)
20151231_133352.jpg

First set of 2016 (today)
Perm rods
20160202_171602.jpg 20160202_172003.jpg 20160202_171637.jpg 20160202_175006.jpg 20160202_113536.jpg

Last edited:

danysedai

For challengers wanting to join, after thanking this post answer the following questions:
Current hair length: BSL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Texlaxed
Current Setting method and styling choices: Magnetic rollers, duck bill pins, drying under my Pibbs. For styling, flat iron newgrowth if wearing my hair down, or brush it into a bun without flat ironing newgrowth.
Current Setting products: water, a heat protectant product leave in.
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Get my full thickness back, reach my goal full thick MBL
How long do you plan to set?: Every weekend as usual.
Post a beginning picture:View media item 128607View media item 128605

PlainJane

@PlainJane my hair day takes about 5 hours as well.

30 minutes to shampoo and condition
40 minutes to detangle and apply my DC
1 hour to DC
45 minutes to roller set
90 minutes - 2 hours under the dryer
I am slow as molasses. I only spend about 30-45 minutes under the dryer, but my roller set time takes foreverrrr. I will probably stop prepooing to cut down the time.